PDA

View Full Version : Logmein remote access

bk T
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Has anyone here used this program? Here (https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/)

Aim: Be able to access my home computer from abroad.

Comments, please.

:thanks

wainuitech
05-07-2011, 03:02 PM
The free version will allow you to access the PC, but if you want to transfer files etc, you need the Pro version which costs. Never used it myself, I prefer Team Viewer.

Question: The computer you will be using overseas, will it be your own (laptop ), or someone else's /internet cafe etc ?

SolMiester
05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi, yes, however Team Viewer has more options...including file transfer, multiple monitor support, reverse host etc..........

CYaBro
05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
However Team Viewer is not free for commercial use.

bk T
05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
The free version will allow you to access the PC, but if you want to transfer files etc, you need the Pro version which costs. Never used it myself, I prefer Team Viewer.

Question: The computer you will be using overseas, will it be your own (laptop ), or someone else's /internet cafe etc ?

My own laptop.

You reckon Team Viewer is a better option?

wratterus
05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I would go for teamviewer over LMI for what you want.

SolMiester
05-07-2011, 03:39 PM
However Team Viewer is not free for commercial use.

Doesnt say he wants it for commercial use?!

FAB
06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Have used LMI for years, have about 30 pcs connected to it...fantastic. Also use Team Viewer for remote presentations of PPSs, but always use LMI for remote access to my own or other PCs.

bk T
06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the inputs. :thanks

linw
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I've used both. Both work well.

Posters, would there be a problem with Team Viewer over the per session password? Could it time out if left open for days?

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
 By default, TeamViewer creates a new session password whenever you start it (you can configure a fixed password in the security settings). Your computer is only reachable for persons to whom you have given your TeamViewer ID and the session password. Since the password changes with each start, persons who have connected to your PC before are not able to connect again until you give them your new password. This prevents anyone from having permanent control over your PC.

Looks like you can establish a fixed password. Also looks like you are going to have to leave the home pc on all the time and running Teamviewer.

But this would be the same with LogMeIn I guess.

gary67
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes you do need to set it up with a fixed password, and definitely test it before you go away. I have a spare computer that lives in my garage it runs my 3D printer, I can hear when the printer shuts off at the end of a print and so I can shut down the computer from my office without having to go to the garage. I have teamviewer setup with a fixed password on that spare machine

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Yes you do need to set it up with a fixed password, and definitely test it before you go away. I have a spare computer that lives in my garage it runs my 3D printer, I can hear when the printer shuts off at the end of a print and so I can shut down the computer from my office without having to go to the garage. I have teamviewer setup with a fixed password on that spare machine

But you won't be able to start the PC from your Office will you?

Unless you can power it up from there of course.

gary67
06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
No and unfortunately, since it does get turned off at the wall when not in use I cannot start it over the network

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
No and unfortunately, since it does get turned off at the wall when not in use I cannot start it over the network

Damn! :)

Just wondering as one wonders how the OP would cope with a power interruption at his home while he is overseas and trying to access his Email via the home PC.

Unless someone has access to reboot the PC there could be a problem I guess.

CYaBro
06-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Damn! :)

Just wondering as one wonders how the OP would cope with a power interruption at his home while he is overseas and trying to access his Email via the home PC.

Unless someone has access to reboot the PC there could be a problem I guess.

You can set the machine, in the BIOS, to turn back on automatically if the power is cut and then restored.

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 04:11 PM
You can set the machine, in the BIOS, to turn back on automatically if the power is cut and then restored.

Agreed. But you would have set the remote access application to run on startup as well would you not?

There are hooks that the OP should be aware of is all I'm pointing out.

For me I'd do that and also get a Gmail address and set that to forward incoming to my local ISP where it's picked up in Outlook. Leave a copy on the Gmail server in case things go wrong at home.

Agent_24
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I use TightVNC sometimes over my home LAN, it should work over the Internet as well.

Chilling_Silence
06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Agreed. But you would have set the remote access application to run on startup as well would you not?

There are hooks that the OP should be aware of is all I'm pointing out.

For me I'd do that and also get a Gmail address and set that to forward incoming to my local ISP where it's picked up in Outlook. Leave a copy on the Gmail server in case things go wrong at home.

Both LMI and TeamViewer do that thankfully ;)

I've got LMI setup, I just found the overall solution nicer for accessing your "own" PC. That, and I've got the Mrs PC on my account as well in case we're out and she wants to get to hers.

RDP enabled on both machines (TCP 3390 to my PC and TCP 3391 to the Mrs), so I can use that too if I want. No need for DynDNS, have a static IP. RDP is definitely the "nicest".

Also have HFS setup and listening on a 'random' port, so I can add files to it and download via HTTP if I want to from my home. Great for when things get interrupted over a datacard or the likes.

wainuitech
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
My media Center is set up like that.

When SWMBO is watching TV and I go to turn on the Media Center, she got p1ssed off :angry -- updates etc, so now I walk in hit the power button, and walk out - go to my PC, and remotely login with TV, user name and password, then do any updates etc all remotely - it has a password I put in and never changes.