PDA

View Full Version : Advice required to combat unsolicited email advertising...

09-10-2001, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I have found myself plagued with unsolicited email recently. I tried using Bounce Spam Mail from the July 2001 PC World CD but it does not seem to work. The url of the developer of Bounce also returns a 'not found' message. I have tried using SpamWeasel and entering the addresses of the spammers in the filter lists and still it gets through! I have now signed up for the spam filter service at my ISP. Still it keeps coming - mainly from a few sources. I'm reluctant to 'unsubscribe' as it would verify my address, however I suspect the spammers use message reciepts to detect live accounts. The really worrying thing is that my email address accesses an account at one of them - opinionsurveys.com which does not have my name on it.

Can anybody suggest a good utility for fighting the war against spam - short of changing my email address from 'common name' @ 'isp.co.nz' to something a lot more vague??

Thanks
Megan

09-10-2001, 11:54 PM
Just block the email addresses. If it is only a few common addresses, you can just choose to recieve no email from them.
Another good idea, is getting a hotmail account and using that for any web postings etc so that spam bots that go collecting for email addresses dont get your main account. Plus hotmail has an excellent filtering system.

10-10-2001, 07:24 PM
You are already doing the best thing, not replying. My only other suggestion would be to create a filter to automatically delete mail not specifically address to you. Outlook has the facility to do this built in. If email from one particular source is bugging you then create a separate rule for it or contact the administrator of the domain (usually admin@isp.co.nz) to try and get their accound disabled.