PDA

View Full Version : Outlook + POP3

bk T
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Can I still use my Outlook 2010 to access my POP3 email from overseas?

If not, is there any other way other than using the webmail?

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Dont think so, if you connect from an ISP from overseas (unless youre going to join an ISP overseas). You maybe able to receive emails, but you wont be able to send

Snorkbox
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Not sure what you are asking. Are you wanting to take a Laptop overseas and access your current NZ ISP?

ronyville
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
you should be able to receive mails but to send mails, you will need to change the smtp server to who ever the ISP is overseas.

Cellux
05-07-2011, 12:11 PM
you should be able to receive mails but to send mails, you will need to change the smtp server to who ever the ISP is overseas.

Should be able to use their mail provider's SMTP server as long as they authenticate?

bk T
05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Not sure what you are asking. Are you wanting to take a Laptop overseas and access your current NZ ISP?

Yes. That's right.

wratterus
05-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Should be able to use their mail provider's SMTP server as long as they authenticate?

Yes- it all depends on the ISP. Ring them and ask.

Who are you with? The other option is to setup and gmail account and use the smtp server from that.

bk T
05-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Who are you with? The other option is to setup and gmail account and use the smtp server from that.

I'm with Telecom.

wratterus
05-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm with Telecom.

I personally havn't tried this - but as long as your settings are as follows it should work.

Incoming mail server - pop3.xtra.co.nz SSL port 995
Outgoing mail server - send.xtra.co.nz SSL port 465 and authentication on outgoing server using same settings as incoming server.

bk T
05-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I personally havn't tried this - but as long as your settings are as follows it should work.

Outgoing mail server - send.xtra.co.nz SSL port 465 and authentication on outgoing server using same settings as incoming server.

Many years (5) ago, I couldn't use it with Outlook2003. I was with Xtra.

wratterus
05-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Many years (5) ago, I couldn't use it with Outlook2003. I was with Xtra.

They've got those new settings since they merged with Yahoo. Try 'em and see what happens. :2cents:

I'm sure one of us would be more than happy to use teamviewer to remote in and change them for you if you would like. :)

bk T
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Are you referring to the above settings?

Yup. my Outlook uses the above settings.

wratterus
05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Are you referring to the above settings?

Yup. my Outlook uses the above settings.

You should be OK overseas then, unless for some reason the ISP you are using there is blocking either of those ports.

fred_fish
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Port 25 for regular unauthenticated SMTP is routinely blocked.

The settings listed above should work fine unless you connect via ISP-Bastardos.
They work fine from all over the US.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
It doesnt matter if youre in NZ or overseas. If youre not on your ISP's connection, when you use email, it'll block sending emails.

BUT, I did find out, that you can send and receive Telstra emails on XT. Before I went to the Sth Island. I was with Xnet.

I could receive but couldnt send on the cellphone. But, once I changed to Telstra just after Xmas, it was fine. I could send and receive emails on the cell. No probs at all

dpDesignz
05-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Just warning against this. gmail now has a setting that does not allow you to access it out of the country you set it up in.

fred_fish
06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
It doesnt matter if youre in NZ or overseas. If youre not on your ISP's connection, when you use email, it'll block sending emails.
Bollocks.
They block UNAUTHENTICATED smtp from foreign networks.
If your client is set to authenticate and use the client submission ports there is no problem.

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Have you tried it to prove it?

fred_fish
06-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Yes.