PDA

View Full Version : Atikmpag.sys and Atikmdag.sys

Civic
04-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Hello

I've been having problems with the above files causing BSoDs for a while and have had trouble finding a solution to either.
I mostly have a problem with atikmpag but occasionally (trying to wake the PC up from sleep) I get atikmdag.
I usually get a blue screen either from in game, where shortly after loading a save or starting a game, it will freeze, then go to black screens and then the BSoD.
In saying that I also can get the same BSoD from my PC logging in, usually around when I open FireFox (5).

I have already removed all traces of ATI software and then reinstalled Catalyst control center along with display drivers to no avail.

I've got tri display through eyefinity running, (5760 X 1080), 2 X HD 6870s, intel i7 3.07GHz, 12GB DDR3 at 1333MHz, 250GB HDD + 1TB HDD, 750W PSU and Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Whats the stop error?

Even tho the ATI drivers are crashing, something else maybe causing it

Run bluescreenview, see if it shows anything else as the cause.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Have you installed anything like daemontools / cd writing programs (like Roxio), mcafee?

Civic
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't have anything like daemon tools, or anything like those you listed.
It's showing most of the causes as dxgkrnl.sys which I'm thinking should be atikmpag.sys but there is also ntoskrnl.exe and atikmdag.sys

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Try updating directx

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8109

Agent_24
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
I have already removed all traces of ATI software and then reinstalled Catalyst control center along with display drivers to no avail.

Are you installing the latest drivers or just re-installing the old ones?

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2011, 11:21 PM
And where you you getting them from? The ATI site or windowsupdate?

Civic
04-07-2011, 11:53 PM
From the ATI site
And well both as I had the newest before and then downloaded another copy (without knowing) so yeah it would be the latest.
I've updated the DirectX and haven't had a BSoD ... yet, but its still early days, and I'll see if I can get it to.

Civic
05-07-2011, 08:42 PM
So far so good for the major errors however I am still having problems with atikmdag.sys mostly when resuming from sleep, but apart from that I haven't had a BSoD since!!

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Sweet! May have been a corrupt file in the DX files (before you updated it). Why its not crashing now. Whats it doing (or not doing) when it comes out of sleep?

Civic
05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Well not quite sure what it is doing for one, I basically press a button on the keyboard to get it out of sleep, hear it spin up and everything, then the screens go from off to a BSoD, but there's no music playing when it resumes as I usually leave it playing just before I press sleep.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
So it crashes when it comes out of sleep? Is SP1 installed? What does the BSOD say? Kill speedstep in the BIOS. I think this CPU supports it

Civic
05-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah it BSoDs coming out of sleep, its the atikmdag.sys unless you were meaning for more detail then that.
I can always take an actual photo of the BSoD if you want.
Yeah SP1 is install.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Does this have a card reader on it? Did you build this system? It looks like some card reader drivers, can cause that ATI file to crash, when Windows 7 comes out of sleep

Civic
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Um yeah its got a card reader on it, kind of needs it since my photos are in RAW.
Yeah I built the system, well got the parts and got friends to physically build most of it at least. Not sure about the model card reader but its an Apacer and it hasn't caused any problems with sleep until recently.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Ok what are the stop error/s for this BSOD 0x000000 what? Disable Speedstep as well

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
NOD32 can cause a crash when coming out of sleep as well

Is this installed?

Civic
05-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Nod32 isn't installed, and I'll get a picture of the error soon, just moving some photos onto my external to transfer them.
I take it that speedstep can be disabled via BIOS?

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Yup speedstep is a feature of the CPU (I think). I can have a look with teamviewer if you want. And see what event viewer / bluescreenview says / shows

Civic
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
No need I think I've got a good enough picture of it, and I'm pretty sure I disabled speed step, or something similar to it anyway. Intel something boost, basically its for the i series CPUs (if I'm right) so that they OC when needed.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I would uninstall the ATI drivers again. Then get this

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-1-0/

Follow this, on how to use it

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.

Reboot your PC in Safe Mode.
Run Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.
Analyse lists all the entries possible to remove, cleaning removes the entries selected.
More drivers can be selected for the same cleaning process.

Then reinstall the latest version of the ATI drivers (for the card/s you've got)

Then see what happens. Are you overclocking this at the mo?

Civic
05-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Alright I'll give that a go once my PCs finished converting and moving some files, nah its not Overclocked at all since I disabled intels auto OC'n just a while ago.

WarNox
05-07-2011, 10:29 PM
These are never fun, most likely it is the graphic driver.

Look at my post in the topic below, that should help you narrow it down:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=114522

Civic
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Sorry I didn't get around to it until now, it took a bit longer then I thought last night, although I had some BSoDs while trying to uninstall the drivers and software this time around (had stuff running) I got in uninstalled and followed you're advice speedy, put it to sleep, went and made some lunch then came back and woke it up to see it not BSoD on me :)
.... Although for some reason it proved troublesome getting into the menu for safe mode this time, I'd press f8 quite a few times and it'd just reboot rather then open the menu ... but it gave up before I did.

Civic
08-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Ok so it seemed to only be a temporary fix, had three BSoDs today, one from each department, (on start up, resuming from sleep, and loading a game file)
WarNox I've tried what you've said and it doesn't seem to give me any more information then I already know from seeing the BSoDs and from this thread so far, although I will attach the file.
The culprits are still the same atikmpag.sys and atikmdag.sys

Note: It won't let me upload a WEW file.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2011, 02:52 PM
There is a hotfix a and b for the latest version of the drivers (11.6 caused crashes on some cards). But I think this only affected the 6530/6550 cards

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst116bHotfix.aspx

Agent_24
08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Note: It won't let me upload a WEW file.

You could upload the file to rapidshare or something

Civic
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Speedy its almost like you can see whats going on with my computer, since I've been having problems with the mouse DPI changing in certain locations to very low levels for brief periods and have screen flickering not quite when idle but still, I'll give that hotfix a try.
Agent_24 ... I don't have rapidshare ... closest thing I have to that is Flickr or Picasa.

Agent_24
08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
You don't need to have an account with rapidshare (or most filehosts) you can upload the file OK, but without an account they delete it after a few days if nobody downloads it.

Good for one-off things like your error log etc

Civic
08-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Applied the hotfix and in the game that crashes the most right now and it hasn't crashed yet so this is a good sign since the crashes are only at the start of reloading a save.