PDA

View Full Version : It is definitely NOT my day!

Billy T
04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
While ruminating about my System Tray problem, I idly clicked on the Windows Security Center icon as I went past and there was a flaming big red warning telling me my AV was off. According to MS, this is because I have "another virus program installed".

But I don't, unless Windows is miffy about the directory holding data for the ESET On-Line scanner.

Thing is, that has been there for months and MSE is still regularly updating and scanning, and when checked it says Real-Time Protection is on, so it seems that it is not really switched off at all. However, I don't like big red warnings, even if crying wolf, because they make me nervous.

I have never installed any other AV on this computer, in fact the only other AV that has been near it is ESET as mentioned above, and MSE didn't seem to mind last time I used it.

Is that likely to be the problem, and if so, would renaming the ESET folder hide it, or should I delete it completely?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

inphinity
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Sounds like the checkbox for "I have my own AV I'll monitor" is checked.

pctek
04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
It's picky.
Possibly found a reg entry it thinks means one is installed, possibly even bits of the Eset.

Billy T
04-07-2011, 08:38 PM
It's picky. Possibly found a reg entry it thinks means one is installed, possibly even bits of the Eset.

OK, so I'll delete the ESET stuff, then let CCleaner do its thing on the Registry if that is safe to do??? Followed by a reboot.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gary67
04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Should be, if your paranoid let ccleaner keep a backup of the reg files

Billy T
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
OK

I copied the Eset folders across to a thumbdrive (waste-not, want-not; might need it again some time) and after rebooting MSE was happy again.

Never would have thought that an online scan would leave tht much evidence behind! Funny thing is, I downloaded those files way back when I caught that fake virus alert infection that Speedy sorted for me via Teamviewer and it hasn't been a problem until now.

Sod's Law......... :badpc:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)