PDA

View Full Version : Expanding System Tray

Billy T
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Team

XP Pro SP3

I have just suffered my 4th or 5th WD640 GB Caviar Black Raid 1 disk failure but did not get the usual warning in the system tray. I put in the spare disk that I always have now and rebuilt the array, but afterwards realised that the icon that should pop up at bottom right of screen to say that the comp is protected against a disk failure did not appear, and in fact it hasn't appeared for some time.

I assumed that it had been shunted off screen by some of the more recent icon additions so I closed 4 or 5 that were non critical and even with just six showing, the Intel Matrix Storage Console icon does not appear.

I can't see any way to expand the tray capacity but according to my web search results there should be a couple of arrow heads there that that I can click on to see hidden icons. All the settings seem ok as well, in fact the only time I saw anything related to the RAID system was while the new drive was rebuilding, but as soon as it finished, that vanished too.

This is quite important because if I hadn't spotted the brief flash-up of the failure advice I would never have known about faulty disk. I don't normally sit and watch the boot process which does report briefly the RAID disk status with four lines of green text (blink and you miss it) so I would have been at risk of data loss.

The bar is not locked.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :illogical

Snorkbox
04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Have you got hide unused icons selected by any chance?

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Right mouse on the taskbar / properties. If Hide inactive icons is ticked untick it. Or if its ticked, (click on customize), change the option for it's icon, so it says always show

Billy T
04-07-2011, 12:26 PM
No, hide inactive icons is not ticked.

I just checked my son's XP comp and it has the double arrowheads that expand and shrink the system tray.

I am using an older skin (or whatever you call it) though, the appearance is much plainer than my son's aero? look, and I don't recall ever noticing the double arrowheads on my computer, but it always had plenty of room for system tray icons.

I did a fairly extensive web search too, but didn't find anything helpful, most hits simply referred to the 'ticked hide unused icons' bizzo.

Something is odd though, that much is clear. I'll see if I can find a way to change back to the XP look and see what that does, but I prefer the plain look that I have at present. I did accidentally lose the entire taskbar a couple of weeks ago but IIRC a reboot brought it all back. Maybe that was when the missing RAID icon vanished? Weird! :stare:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Ok, I've cleared all current traumas and I'm back to this issue. I currently have 12 icons showing in the System Tray but not the one I want and need from the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and currently I have no means to expand the tray (no arrows).

I do wonder if it is due to my choice of a 'Plain Jane' desktop, but I've always used this one and everything was OK previously. The only hitch is that I cannot say for certain that the arrows were ever there, because I never needed them to find out.

Does anybody else use the plain desktop? The 'Theme' is called Windows Classic and I set it up by right clicking on the desktop etc. I can't see why it would kill the system tray options, but you never know with MS.

If this theme kills the System Tray expansion then at least I'll know why it is missing here.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Is the command for it running in startup?

Billy T
05-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Is the command for it running in startup?Nothing in Startup resembling that at all Speedy, unless it has a very obscure name, but while I was there I closed of a number of other items I didn't want or need at startup.

Still no arrows, but it is providing the icons I wanted so I'm happy with that. We'll see what happens when I boot it up in the morning though.

I've just been through the link I posted and man is there a range of problems and answers there. I learned a lot while reading through, though most of it was over my head, however it is worth bookmarking for future reference if you are regularly up to your elbows in computers.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zqwerty
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I always use Windows Classic on all my computers on all the operating systems I have ever used, Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP and all of them have always had the expansion arrows.

zqwerty
05-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Right click Taskbar/untick: Lock The Taskbar

Arrows will then appear.

Billy T
06-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Right click Taskbar/untick: Lock The Taskbar

Arrows will then appear.

Tried that at the off, I'm not that slow :), and unless in a desperate hurry I try not to post questions until I've done my own research and come up empty-handed.

See my subsequent post advising the solution found and a link to the page(s) as there is a wealth of information there. I still don't have the arrows, but the taskbar is now showing all icons etc, I get the boot advice that RAID is up and running, and that is good enough for me.

As a bonus, boot time to full access including web is now back to just under a minute. It had stretched out to 2m15s and the computer is also slightly livelier than it was, there had been a slight but noticeable slowdown.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)