PDA

View Full Version : Cmd is ****ed up.

kleinaeinarso
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I was trying to change my IP (personal reasons) and i found this website that said that i can that with a code. I tried that code and it didnt work. First i thought the code was a joke but when i try other codes they wont work either.

This is what i get when i try to use the ipconfig code

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Einar>ipconfig
'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Einar>

I start CMD this way: Start> All Programs> Accessories> Command Prompt.

I also tried searching for cmd and command. Both wont work. Do i have to install it again, is there a special code to fix this, please help me.:help::help::thanks:thanks

Snorkbox
04-07-2011, 11:11 AM
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/a/ipconfig.htm

You normally need to run as Admin. so right click the command and run as admin.

Welcome to PressF1

dugimodo
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm struggling to understand what you are asking. Are you trying to change your IP address? if so there is no need to use the command prompt it can all be done from inside windows.

If you tell us what you are trying to do and what operating system you are using I'm sure someone can give you instructions.

The method you mention for running CMD is fine, it'll give you a dos window which is all CMD is. ipconfig should definately work though, are you sure you typed it correctly ?

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Its probably Windows 7, since it shows 6.1 in the command prompt (Vista is 6.0)

kleinaeinarso
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm struggling to understand what you are asking. Are you trying to change your IP address? if so there is no need to use the command prompt it can all be done from inside windows.

If you tell us what you are trying to do and what operating system you are using I'm sure someone can give you instructions.

The method you mention for running CMD is fine, it'll give you a dos window which is all CMD is. ipconfig should definately work though, are you sure you typed it correctly ?

I am trying to put in any codes. I typed ipconfig right but it wont work.

I am using operation system Windows 7 Just updated.

Can you tell me how i can change my ip inside windows?

inphinity
04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Best code ever - Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start

On a more serious note, your PATH environment variable is probably missing or broken, preventing you from being able to call any executables not in your current working directory.

wainuitech
04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
First make sure ipconfig is actually in the system32 folder.

Click start, type in ipconfig you will see ipconfig.exe appear, RIGHT click it, open file location - make sure its in the system32 folder, if its not, then move it to there.

Assuming its there, and If it still doesn't work, you can try These here, post 6 (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ipconfig-is-not-recognized-as-an-internal-or-external-command-397397.html) - while its for XP, it may work in W7 ( never tried it).

And changing your IP address Via the command prompt is actually quite easy, had to do it over the weekend to a customers PC that had a few problems and wouldn't change normally Via network adapter. :)

Do you want to change it on a LAN, or from your ISP ?

kleinaeinarso
05-07-2011, 07:56 AM
First make sure ipconfig is actually in the system32 folder.

Click start, type in ipconfig you will see ipconfig.exe appear, RIGHT click it, open file location - make sure its in the system32 folder, if its not, then move it to there.

Assuming its there, and If it still doesn't work, you can try These here, post 6 (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ipconfig-is-not-recognized-as-an-internal-or-external-command-397397.html) - while its for XP, it may work in W7 ( never tried it).

And changing your IP address Via the command prompt is actually quite easy, had to do it over the weekend to a customers PC that had a few problems and wouldn't change normally Via network adapter. :)

Do you want to change it on a LAN, or from your ISP ?

Umm what is LAN and ISP? I am using a 3G Internet Key, 5GB a month.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 08:00 AM
You'll have to go into its settings / config to change the IP. ISP = the place your go thru to get on the internet. But in your case, the phone company. The phone probably doesnt have an IP address

kleinaeinarso
05-07-2011, 08:32 AM
You'll have to go into its settings / config to change the IP. ISP = the place your go thru to get on the internet. But in your case, the phone company. The phone probably doesnt have an IP address

I dont understand?

I am using this. http://en.kioskea.net/faq/5764-the-3g-usb-key-an-essential-tool-to-stay-connected
And to connect to the internet i have a program called Mobile Partner.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2011, 08:59 AM
You maybe able to change it under network connections. Once you connect that adapter. But whether it works after you change the ip address is another matter. Double click on its icon / properties

wainuitech
05-07-2011, 09:29 AM
If you are using the 3G key, then every time you connect it will give you a different IP address - its a bit like Dial up but faster.

Just tried it on a customers Laptop using a Telecom USB and both times it gave completely different IP addresses.

If you had a fixed connection, and concentrated Via a router, then you can change your local IP address.

kleinaeinarso
07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
If you are using the 3G key, then every time you connect it will give you a different IP address - its a bit like Dial up but faster.

Just tried it on a customers Laptop using a Telecom USB and both times it gave completely different IP addresses.

If you had a fixed connection, and concentrated Via a router, then you can change your local IP address.

How long does it take to change from one IP address to another?

Jester
07-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Have to ask .... Why do you want to change your IP address? It seems real important and urgent to you - using a command prompt like ipconfig won't necessarily show your internet IP address or allow you to change it, it's more for local network details (LAN).

FYI an ISP is your internet service provider.

As far as how long will it take to get a new external IP adddress goes - it will take as long as it takes to disconnect from the internet / pull the USB key out, put it back in and re-connect.

kleinaeinarso
08-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Have to ask .... Why do you want to change your IP address? It seems real important and urgent to you - using a command prompt like ipconfig won't necessarily show your internet IP address or allow you to change it, it's more for local network details (LAN).

FYI an ISP is your internet service provider.

As far as how long will it take to get a new external IP adddress goes - it will take as long as it takes to disconnect from the internet / pull the USB key out, put it back in and re-connect.

I'm sorry, I can't tell you why i want to change my IP, its really personal. Don't worry I'm not planning to attack a website or attack the White House and screw up they computers (If I would, I would have known how to change my IP). Its just personal, no need for you to know.

By the way, thanks for it will take as long as it takes to disconnect from the internet / pull the USB key out, put it back in and re-connect.. Really helped me.

And thank you all above who helped me, you have been allot of help. :thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks

Jester
08-07-2011, 06:49 AM
You're welcome. :)

Usual, but welcome. :D

wainuitech
08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
By the way, thanks for it will take as long as it takes to disconnect from the internet / pull the USB key out, put it back in and re-connect.. Really helped me.

Actually mentioned that back in post 12 - being the 3G every time you connect the IP address will be different.

kleinaeinarso
10-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Actually mentioned that back in post 12 - being the 3G every time you connect the IP address will be different.

I know, thats why i asked how long does it haveto be disconnected for it to change IP. Because it didn't change the minute i connected again.

wainuitech
10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
When I tried it on the customers laptop, I disconnected, Ran Ccleaner (as part of the work I was doing) and reconnected about a minute later getting a different IP. It was of course with the same Provider, but the last part of the IP address was different.