PDA

View Full Version : Internet Issues

Bittersweet
04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi there!

My ADSL internet connection has been having severe issues for some time. I have opened multiple cases with Telecom regarding it, with little return other than hopes for a 'glorious' new ADSL2+ capable exchange to be implemented in an unknown point in time.
I have little idea on what further to do, and would highly appreciate some advice on where to proceed from here.

The main issue is speed. It varies dramatically throughout the day, and strains under pressure.It sits nowhere near the 7.6Mbps ADSL are capable of, or the 7.3 my Netgear DGN3500 router is showing. Other than the wee-hours of morning, where download speeds of up to 6Mbps are possible, I would be lucky to get a speed of 2Mbps using Telecom's speed test tool or speedtest.net. At the time of writing, I am receiving 0.9Mbps :yuck:
Upload speeds seem to be alright, the 0.8Mbps expected.

This lack of consistency is a major part of the problem, as it is neigh impossible to have multiple devices accessing internet resources at the same time, especially during the afternoon. It makes online gaming a pain, and file or video downloads hang all other internet operations on our network.

I have tried all Telecom's generic tests, replacing filters, changing routers, sending 3 days worth of speed tests, multiple times no less. Just a little tired of these speeds, and more-so tired of being kept in the dark and fed crap. So as I say, could just use some advice on where to go in from here.

Tracert's look... alright, other than a nasty 3rd hop.

"Tracing route to youtube.com [122.56.115.16]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 54 ms 55 ms 53 ms 219-88-74-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz [219.88.74.1]
3 * 1428 ms 1515 ms mdr-fid-int.akbr5.global-gateway.net.nz [202.37.244.222]
4 59 ms 55 ms 57 ms ae4-10.akbr5.global-gateway.net.nz [202.37.244.221]
5 54 ms 57 ms 53 ms ae1-2.akbr4.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.77]
6 59 ms 56 ms 59 ms ae1-10.tkbr9.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.37]
7 58 ms 62 ms 58 ms ae10-10.tkbr10.global-gateway.net.nz [202.50.232.206]
8 61 ms 60 ms 58 ms cache.googlevideo.com [122.56.115.16]

Trace complete."

Thanks in advance.

pctek
04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
speed. varies dramatically throughout the day,.It sits nowhere near the 7.6Mbps ADSL are capable of,

That can be normal.
Speed is affected by loads of things, how far from the exchange you are, quality of lines, traffic, backhaul.

Where I lived before I got nowhere near 7 either. Lucky if I got 1mbps.

Chilling_Silence
04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Hi Bittersweet, welcome to PressF1.

Are you getting that nationally on your speedtests, or just internationally?

You *really* want to use QoS so that even under load, your line will still operate, if gaming really matters that much to you.

The problem is that pings don't specifically equate to throughput capabilities.

If you look at www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps are you on an ADSL2+ area or just a really lucky ADSL1 customer?

If you could post the stats from your routers "DSL Status" page too, that'd help just to confirm a few things.

Cheers

Chill.

Bittersweet
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your help. Honestly I figured as much, but it was worth a shot.
All my speed tests have been done to national servers, using Telecom's speed test, or the recommended server on speedtest.net.
Something interesting, speedtest places my locale in Tauranga, whereas I am living in rural West Auckland. Any reasoning behind this?
Chilling, you were mentioning QoS, and have mentioned it several times in your blog, as I have seen.
I have tried searching for ways to do it through my DGN3500 router, but no luck so far. How would I go about implementing this, or does it need to be done ISP side?

Thanks!

Bittersweet
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Have already looked on Telecom Wholesale's site. Sadly, I'm still sitting on an ADSL connection, with ADSL2+ scheduled for December this year.
I'm located a couple hundred meters away from the roadside cabinet.
Any reason why my router is showing it is receiving download speeds of 7.3Mbps, yet from any connected device, it struggles to reach 1Mbps.

Snorkbox
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Speedtest does not show your location but does show the server you are connecting to. Try an Auckland server perhaps?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1369862927.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1369863987.png

For the record I'm in Tokoroa.

Chilling_Silence
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Sadly, I'm still sitting on an ADSL connection, with ADSL2+ scheduled for December this year.

Bingo!

Wait until December. They'll upgrade the backhaul to your exchange when they upgade you to ADSL2+.

Unfortunately, it's just a waiting game. Be thankful you're actually getting the speeds you are, I have a poor friend in Henderson Valley who's getting < 150kbps (Bits, not bytes) at peak times.

BTW - It'll be testing you off the Tauranga server because the pings to it are best. It's not saying that's where it's detected you as being from / at.

Chilling_Silence
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Chilling, you were mentioning QoS, and have mentioned it several times in your blog, as I have seen.
I have tried searching for ways to do it through my DGN3500 router, but no luck so far. How would I go about implementing this, or does it need to be done ISP side?
Sorry, missed this part...

Yeah, unfortunately most home DSL routes do a *crap* job of QoS'ing things. I've found that for home / small offices I get best results with any device running Tomato or Gargoyle. Heck with Gargoyle you can even repurpose a PC and have it act as your firewall / QoS device, but it's best if you can get an ADSL router / Modem that does either Halfbridging, or PPPoA -> PPPoE Passthru.

Either way, QoS won't make your speeds faster when your exchange is congested, sadly.

Peter Coleman
04-07-2011, 11:37 PM
What exchange are you off.I'm a tech with chorus that works out west so maybe I can help with some more info

Peter

Safari
05-07-2011, 08:41 AM
What exchange are you off.I'm a tech with chorus that works out west so maybe I can help with some more info

Peter

Sorry to go off topic here but Peter do you know anything about an issue that has appeared recently where some modem types are unable to get DSL sync and it appears to be related to an ADSL2+ Alcatel upgrade. The only way they can get sync is by Telecom downgrading their profile to ADSL1.
Some techs appear to be aware of the issue and others go to a customer with a sync problem and it all works for them and they advise the customer needs a new modem but if they get a new modem of the same type the problem it still there unless their profile or the modem mode has ADSL2+ disabled.
Appreciate any information you have about this problem.

Chilling_Silence
05-07-2011, 01:44 PM
You might be one of the techs who's been out to my place in Te Atatu Peninsula. I've had a grand whopping total of 10 tech visits to fix my issue with it disconnecting at a certain time (Around 30+ times in under 60 minutes).

If you're not, I'd happily buy you a box of beer if you're able to fix the issue ;) I've sent the job back to Chorus for the 11th time now ...

8ftmetalhaed
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Hah, I've been having periodic issues getting PPP sync here in te atatu south, although I had a guy from orcon yesterday suggest it would be my phone extension. My connection drops, then sits not even getting LCP timeouts for ages, just cycling 'starting to connect' ' starting to connect',
then after a while it'll connect fine again.
I'm happy enough blaming telecom for now. I'm not paying $200 to be told it's my fault.
But then, I had similar issues running on completely different hardware straight into the wall in tat pen.
Dunno.

In any case, chilling, I had no idea you were over in tat pen.
stefan?

Peter Coleman
05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
hi Safari,yes there is an issue with some places when upgraded to dsl2.We had a lot of problems out in Waitakere with people on the fringe areas.The new dsl2 card actually didn't like the distance as well as the dsl1 card,so to get those people going we had to change the profile to dsl1 and change the type of card too(in case you were interested,from an NVLT card to an NALT card in the ISAM).To Chill,if you want to send me a message with your details, I'll see what I can do for you.

Peter

Safari
06-07-2011, 12:37 AM
hi Safari,yes there is an issue with some places when upgraded to dsl2.We had a lot of problems out in Waitakere with people on the fringe areas.The new dsl2 card actually didn't like the distance as well as the dsl1 card,so to get those people going we had to change the profile to dsl1 and change the type of card too(in case you were interested,from an NVLT card to an NALT card in the ISAM).To Chill,if you want to send me a message with your details, I'll see what I can do for you.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter
I have found that with Dynalink modems if ADSL2+ Line Mode is disabled in the modem config it picks up the DSL sync immediately. It is easier than getting their profile changed.
So are all the NVLT cards being replaced with the NALT ones or will we be stuck with this problem for some time.
The trouble with downgrading profiles or modem is that when the issue is resolved they will all have to be set back to ADSL2+ again so customers can get he speed they expect.

Chilling_Silence
06-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Two of the three techs I've had inside my house for more than 2 minutes in the last few months have mentioned similar issues. Lets just say they were pretty annoyed with that too Safari ;)

Peter Coleman
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
The NVLT cards are the "default" cards installed now,as these are the vdsl cards,and the NALT ones are the older dsl2 cards(I think)

Peter

Danger
12-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Got to say the original posters problems mirror mine in Massey East, near the end of Royal Road. We had an upgrade to ADSL2+ a few years back and are due to get VDSL2 this month. Hope that improves things.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah down by Spargo Reserve they're still doing work on the cabinets I believe...

Still, you should be on ADSL2+ from the Exchange or from a Cabinet, so your situation is probably not quite the same as the original poster. If I was you, I'd ring your ISP Danger, and tell them you're not getting the speeds you're expecting.

Who are you with?

Danger
12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm with Testra Clear and to be honest I don't have the time to spend 45minutes waiting to talk to someone only to get no result, finally get a tech to call me in 24 hours or they reset the port and get an improvement that gradually gets worse from there.
So I just sit here and put up with it, frustrated and hope that one day it will magically improve.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
So ditch TelstraClear ...? You're already on an ADSL2+ connection from a Cabinet from what I can see (Depending on where you are) so your issue is totally different from the original posters issue of an overloaded Exchange.