PDA

View Full Version : What is 'your' opinion of the best Win O.S?

09-10-2001, 09:00 PM
Age old question, Of those of you who have been thru nearly all windows O.S's which is the best, I use win98se and am very happy with it(not broken won't need to fix). I have touched win2000 and didn't like it even the ctrl-alt-delete end tasking was confusing, is it just a case of getting use to it? What about win ME or XP?

09-10-2001, 09:16 PM
WINDOWS XP!!!

Windows XP would have to be the best OS I have ever used. It is stable, has all the drivers needed for my soundcard, scanner, and sb Live! - with no need for extra driver cds. It is easy to use, and very elegant.

09-10-2001, 09:17 PM
Definately win98 - can have dos so I can enjoy my low-level x86 asm programming, and has no annoying menus or desktop themes, better than win95 because it has quicklaunch, stretched wallpaper etc. I dislike windows NT, it's a pain for almost everything especially registry access and ram & disk usage. Win98 is quite small and has less requirements too. I like some of the added features of later version, though. The 64-bit calculator is neat =) also the multi-clipboard thing.

Regards,
Ryan.

09-10-2001, 09:22 PM
I have never used XP, but I hear it doesn't have drivers for old cd rom drives, modems: all that stuff. So it's annoying getting it working on older comps.

09-10-2001, 10:50 PM
I use Win98SE and find it to be great, apart from random reboots (I should probably get round to reinstalling sometime). I prefer it to Win95. When I've used NT and 2000 I didn't like them all that much. WinME sucks. Some of the older versions were ok, Windows 3.11, etc.

JM

10-10-2001, 08:19 AM
I have a dual boot with Win98SE and 2000. 98SE is still the best gaming platform in my opinion but I never use it for the internet now because of the awful security of the OS so thats where 2000 has its main strength for me - security. A lot of games are fine on 2000 but there are a few games that hate 2000 still and refuse to work properly.

Most of my other software is fine on both OS's and as my hardware is all good quality name brands I have no problems with drivers under either OS. 2000 has far greater depth as far as tweakability but consequently takes longer to learn to tweak properly but as with 98SE once you have the registry sussed out you can hack and slash in there with great affect to get 2000 the way you want.

I have played with XP on a couple of friends machines and I personally feel that all the automated stuff in it is a real pain when it comes to stripping the crap out and tweaking the system. I am going to wait at least a year so that the tweakers of the world work out how to tweak all the crap out of XP then I will have a good look at it.

10-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Oh and 98ME??? The biggest pile of crap ever released by Microsoft and somebody in NZ should sue Microsoft under our consumer protection laws to get them to recall all copies worldwide and then burn those babies!!!

10-10-2001, 12:50 PM
Personally, although windows 9x was a great advancement at the time, I find that windows has nothing on linux, which runs much faster and more stable on my aging DX4 - 100 (yeah, yeah, get with the times).

10-10-2001, 04:47 PM
I remember when I rushed out and got WinME (Legitimately, of course)(no, really), I was so disappointed, Crashing, more crashing. Of course - I am quite embarassed for buying this product, I would like if all of you could keep it quiet (shh!), this is the first time I have ever publicly discussed this.

10-10-2001, 05:39 PM
Depends on what your requirements are but if your OS is running as well as you say it is then thats all you can ask for. But maybe if you are willing to try out more Multimedia type features then you could give ME a try (possibly borrow a copy to try it out and then of course you will remove it after you have had a play, wont you?!!) I an running Windows ME and from all the complaints I have read since its release last September I must be one of the very few lucky ones. I have not had any problems at all since upgrading from 98SE and all my software runs just fine on it. Windows XP is a different kettle of fish with regards to older software etc, so personally, I would stick with what you've got. Don't be tempted into an OS headache.

10-10-2001, 07:36 PM
For my sins, I still use DOS 6.22 & WFW3.11 to run some arcane technical instrument programs that don't like anything Bill did with a date in the name. I use Win95 on my laptop, Win 98 (original) on one desktop and Win2000 on three others.

My vote goes to Win2000 for stability that almost matches WFW 3.11 which has given me nearly 7 years without a crash. WFW 3.11 always boots, always closes and does everything else in between.

I've only managed to crash Win2000 once. Pity it won't handle my DOS programs, they just refuse to run no matter what I tweak.

Billy 8-{)

14-10-2001, 01:06 PM
I'm just new to computers (4weeks) but had a good look and asked lots of questions about windows ME as this was the OS that came bundled with the system. The general response from most people/techs I spoke to was that ME was ok but only if installed from start on a new Hard Drive...I am unsure if this means reformatted too...The techs installed it from the hard drive in dos mode and they claimed that this was the most stable way to do it, not direct from the cd. I was warned to run from it if it was an upgrade. I have been running it for 4 weeks now and it seems to be quite stable...well it is now I have removed all the 'neat but useless' little programs I found and spent hours downloading. In your case though...if it ain't broke leave the damn thing alone!!