PDA

View Full Version : HD dying, new slave HD how can I transfer

09-10-2001, 09:38 PM
My HD will not reply to the Win 98SE CD or the floopy boot disk. Last few tries it loaded to the Del -W Esc line and froze.I had installed a new HD as slave hoping to install the Win98 on it, transfer some of the programs and move it to master.I have a USB hub which could transfer to my laptop if it would help.I don't know very much.The PC is a Athlon 600 and the original HD a Seagate Barracuda 20.4GB .

09-10-2001, 09:58 PM
You could try making an image of the drive using norton ghost. then placing it on the new drive.

09-10-2001, 10:05 PM
It doesn't sound good, I would load windows on newer drive (as master), then plug in dying drive as slave to see what you can resurrect/ scan disk it.

My opinion.

09-10-2001, 10:49 PM
It doesn't sound like your hard drive if it can't read the win98 boot disk although you might have your bios startup configuration on drive order: C,A. You can change it by pressing delete and going to one of the options (you should probably read your motherboard manual for where to go) and changing it to A,C so it checks your floppy disk before your hard drive for an operating system.