PDA

View Full Version : Now, how do I get steam working nicely with Eset?

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I've tried adding it to an exclusions list for real time protection, and checked its box for filtering exceptions.

Team fortress won't even launch, just sits at lauching team fortress 2, although I'm getting different errors on the pc and the laptop. Laptop now tries validating the game files (and fails) and the pc sits and in the background steam tries updating 3 gig of the files at 0.0kb/s.
Fun.

I was able to get spiral knights, a java based steam game, to launch, but not even after adding HL2.exe to the exceptions list will the others launch.

SADFACE.
(also, steam users forums seem to simply suggest adding it to the exclusions list, which hasn't worked, because people don't seem to generally use the firewall)

pctek
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Ay? Eset what? I have NOD32 and haven't found any issues with NOD and it co-existing? Do you mean Esets full security suite?

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
yup. Just deleted TF2's local files, it hung at the end of re installing from a backup (thank god I kept that) so I've just set it going again. Laptop still farting around too, it goes to start now and complains that steam's servers are too busy while trying to validate.

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
ok so now it won't install either. On either computer. It's hung twice on the PC, and the laptop hung and crashed once so far.

Nod 32 seems TOO good. hah.

edit - laptop just froze during TF2 restore even with real time protection OFF.

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
ok so now it won't install either. On either computer. It's hung twice on the PC, and the laptop hung and crashed once so far.

Nod 32 seems TOO good. hah.

edit - laptop just froze during TF2 restore even with real time protection OFF.

edit 2- the plot thickens. Left for dead 2 works. Other non steam games work too.

bah quote replied. Also, edit 3 - Counter strike and HL2 work after trying a few more times.

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok chilling or whoever is around, thread's now irrelevant.

After FINALLY getting tf2 reinstalled properly, it seems it's just steam's servers stuffing out, and me being a bit thick.

Cato
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Immediately make a backup copy of the files/folders. :)

wainuitech
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Trick for young players :D --- Did you install ESS in normal mode ( keep clicking next etc ??) If you did it may be the firewall as it will be set to auto mode, which sometimes can be a little over protective -- Forget about creating exceptions.

Try this --- open ESS, under setup / Firewall - on the right, under the filtering mode, click and change to it interactive Screenshot (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/Firewall.jpg) - Yours may be set to Automatic .

This will then prompt you to allow/disallow any particular traffic when its required, you can tick allow or disallow, and remember the option - while on the firewall, under that, is configure rules and zones - if you use any particular IP's you can set them in a range(s), or allow access to certain apps.

Agent_24
02-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Throw Steam under a bus and keep NOD32.

8ftmetalhaed
03-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Na I put it in the default with user exceptions one. I've got a few exceptions in there now, but they're probably irrellevant anyway thanks to it being down to steam's servers cocking up.
I did use interactive mode to create the exception rules though.

pctek
03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
probably irrellevant anyway thanks to it being down to steam's servers cocking up.

I did say that. Never had issues with Steam caused by my NOD. Steam is able to have issues all by itself.

8ftmetalhaed
03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
yeah didn't quite pick up on that. I've been dozy as hell the past few days.