PDA

View Full Version : UBCD4Win

GameJunkie
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
im trying to update the firmware on my modem via the UBCD4Win created for me by Agent_24.:thanks
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=118930&page=5
however i cant get it to connect to the internet from within the cd.

it says it cannot find any network hardware/adapters

what am i doing wrong?, i've selected load network drivers/devices or whatever it says, but IE complains in cant connect no matter what i try

feersumendjinn
02-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I have the same prob with my old Athlon XP machine with Via/Nforce2 Asus mobo, Ubcd4w doesnt have the right driver, but will work if I throw a Realtek-based ethernet card in it.

Speedy Gonzales
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Modem firmware and drivers are not the same thing. You need to update the firmware, either thru something (besides Vista, if you use the exe file)

Or see if the web file works (by updating it from within the router's config)

Or if you know something who uses XP connect the router to it then update it

XP mode or Virtual PC may work (well you can log into a router, I just tried it, and it worked)

Agent_24
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
That's why I gave him the UBCD4Win as it's based on XP - he doesn't have XP so he can't run the updater program.

And he can't do the update over the router's web interface as the current firmware is too old to recognize the much newer firmware as actually being compatible

Now, it seem the UBCD4Win can't find his Ethernet card\NIC which is what he needs the drivers for.

(what a clusterf**k!)

GameJunkie: What actually is your Ethernet card? I can try to slipstream the drivers in and rebuild the CD for you if you like.

Otherwise maybe try what feersumendjinn said and put a different network card in it temporarily?

GameJunkie
02-07-2011, 11:20 PM
That's why I gave him the UBCD4Win as it's based on XP - he doesn't have XP so he can't run the updater program.

And he can't do the update over the router's web interface as the current firmware is too old to recognize the much newer firmware as actually being compatible

Now, it seem the UBCD4Win can't find his Ethernet card\NIC which is what he needs the drivers for.

(what a clusterf**k!)

GameJunkie: What actually is your Ethernet card? I can try to slipstream the drivers in and rebuild the CD for you if you like.

Otherwise maybe try what feersumendjinn said and put a different network card in it temporarily?

i'll have a look tomorrow as to what the ethernet card is.

GameJunkie
03-07-2011, 12:17 AM
just had a look in device manager.

network adapter is : Nvidia nForce network controller
Driver assembly version 65.7.4.0

appreciate your help with this Agent_24:thanks

Agent_24
03-07-2011, 01:48 AM
That could describe a lot of chipsets I think actually. What is your motherboard model?

GameJunkie
03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
That could describe a lot of chipsets I think actually. What is your motherboard model?

Manufacturer ECS
Model Nettle
Chipset Vendor NVIDIA
Chipset Model MCP61
Chipset Revision A3
Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA
Southbridge Model MCP61
Southbridge Revision A2

all from speccy

Agent_24
03-07-2011, 11:40 AM
That looks like some sort of custom HP\Compaq board, am I right?

What does that program say about the actual Ethernet chip?

GameJunkie
03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
on the product sheet for the desktop i found under networking it says Realtek RTL8201N