PDA

View Full Version : Service Manual

09-10-2001, 09:32 PM
Hi there,
I have just bought a 486 computer,14 ins monitor,key board and printer at an auction for $5.

The key board is a mismatch[ plug does not fit computer] the monitor does not work [no EHT]I don't know about the rest yet!

However at the price I paid I am prepeared to poke around inside.

My question. Does any one know where I can get service information for a 486 computer ie can anyone recommend a book or better still is there a web site that offers this information.

I intend to use the 486 on a stepper motor control project and the 486 will have plenty of computing power for this.

I have access to electrical test instruments for this work.

Thanks,
Merv.

09-10-2001, 09:50 PM
The manual for what? The processor? check out www.intel.com

09-10-2001, 10:20 PM
http://x86.ddj.com/intel.doc/486manuals.htm

Close, but not quite Dylan :)

10-10-2001, 07:47 AM
If you want a manual for your mother board, you will have to identify it first. If the name and model are not on the board, then you have to get it to boot up to read the bios string in post boot. This means having a monitor that works hooked up and an adapter for the keyboard to work, or use the keyboard from another computer that will plug in.

10-10-2001, 05:23 PM
First: plug in a good monitor and power up the box. If it puts anything on the screen it is probably worth going on. If it doesn't, go to another auction and get another $5 one. There is not much reason for a 'manual'.
It should give the BIOS ident, and check for memory presence, even without the keyboard. It might even boot without a keyboard: many had that option. It might complain in the vein 'Keyboard not present, hit F1 to continue'. The Keyboard socket will probably be a DIN5, and the plug on the keyboard cable might be a minidin8. You can buy an adapter, or find another keyboard. But mostly, if the board is faulty .. it's broken. The very early IBM boards had socketed TTL chips. They had over 100 chips ... that is one of the reasons that they cost so much. But with the more modern ones ... replacing the NiCd battery (clip the leads before desoldering them) is about the only 'repair' that is economic. Life is too short.