PDA

View Full Version : I like Eset. And Chillisoft.

8ftmetalhaed
01-07-2011, 11:37 PM
In following my 'what to replace norton with' thread a week or so ago, I rang up the guys at Chillisoft, after wondering if they did student discounts, and being pointed to their sales rep by the people on live chat.

Geoff at chillisoft was kind enough to say yes, they do 15% student discounts, and since I was swapping over from norton, he gave me a further 5% off for a crossgrade, and emailed me a quote of $87.50 for two licenses.

Today at 4:50 pm I remembered OH GOD 2 DAYS LEFT TO RENEW NORTON so jumped on the phone and got geoff and he remembered me, and happily put the whole thing through over the phone.
Then, when the email didn't arrive with my license, I got a call literally half a second after hanging up trying to ring and check (they had closed), and it was geoff saying it had bounced and he said 'well I figured you needed it for the weekend, as you said, so I better ring, got an alternate email?'

Freakin beautiful service.

I now have 2 licenses for Eset smart security, updated and scanned, and it picked up a couple of installers that had an adware toolbar bundled that norton missed. (although, I assume on the basis that it wasn't a forced install one)

In any case, happy me, and liking the new icon in my lower right. It fits with my teal blue taskbar.
:rolleyes:

And yes, thanks to Geoff and all you guys who replied.

wainuitech
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
:thumbs: Yep, the people at chillisoft are good folks, Geoff is the one who I often talk to, he knows what hes doing.

Had some real "interesting" conversations with him :D

Just curious, have you set up Nod to work to its full capacity - While the default settings are fine, you can make it even better by enabling a few of its features ??

I'll try and put in some quick pictures to the setting how I set them to the Max.

1st make sure you are in advanced mode, by opening the main window, down the bottom left, if its Display mode is standard, click change, it will go to advanced.

Then under Setup, click on Antivirus - then on the right there are three configure options, do each one at a time -( 1st Screen shot) Once in the settings, top right is the SETUP button you will then get a window click options and objects, ( 2nd screen shot) and tick all the boxes, agree to any prompts -- Now it will work better :thumbs:

If you need a hand to setup weekly scans schedule, just yell - the settings are easy as well.

BTW -- I dont know of any other AV supplier that will pay you ( so to speak) to change over, as in cross Grade if you have an existing AV.

PS: If you ever call them, DONT press the option to hear Nigel singing the Nod Song, I tried it once just to see what would happen -- Never been the same again :lol: :waughh:

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
yeah i've had a browse through the settings. turned on the setts in the second pic too.

sarel
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
+1 for Nod and Chillisoft

sarel

paulw
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I've been using NOD32 on my PCs at home for years now but ESET still don't come out on top for their firewall product.. I'm still running a Sunbelt one..

nedkelly
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
All the paid anti-virus in my house is NOD32, When my parents went from Norton to NOD32 on my advice the noticed a big difference in the pc.

8ftmetalhaed
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I infact have noticed a bit of a speed up in startup times too. Not 100% on it but I'm sure it's faster than it was with norton. Although the laptop for some reason had an older version than my desktop.

wainuitech
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I've been using NOD32 on my PCs at home for years now but ESET still don't come out on top for their firewall product.. I'm still running a Sunbelt one.. Just keep an eye on that sunbelt Firewall.

Sunbelt had Counterspy, which was a good antispyware program, then they combined it into Vipre Pre and now it looks like the firewall has gone the same way --discontinued and combined in one package, which is a heap of sh1t. From their site (http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/) :crying

The Vipre clashes with just about every other antispyware program as well, meaning they want you to use ONLY their products ---- :groan:

You may find the new Eset V5 a lot better, I've got the RC version on a workshop PC, they have fixed some of teh "bugs" since it is still not finished, and now is working really nice - the firewall is a bit more active as well, not annoying though - for example it can tell when one of my servers is checking the LAN, (port Scans) or when WMP is looking for streaming connections.

paulw
02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
When I build a new PC in the next moth or so Sunbelt Firewall will not be a apart of it..