PDA

View Full Version : temporary internet files

09-10-2001, 09:30 PM
I have a pentium III 450 running win98 and have just upgraded my browser to IE6.0
When I delete my temporary internet files from within the general menu of the internet properties, I find I still have 12 folders averaging about 8mb each as subfolders of the 'content IE5' folder in the 'temporary internet folder'.
Why have these not been deleted and can I manually dispose of them?

09-10-2001, 09:44 PM
Could this be index files? subscribed favourites?

09-10-2001, 10:06 PM
Try using the disk cleanup tool that comes with windows (start > programs > accessories > system tools > disk cleanup ) on most platforms of windows, it will probably clean out everything.

09-10-2001, 10:09 PM
Just do like what I do - delete the lot manually!
The most harm you'll do is loose some useful cookies for site logins/passwords which you may have forgotten by now since the site always 'remembers' them thanks to the cookies.

09-10-2001, 10:10 PM
I have recently downloaded and installed the freeware program CleanUp! and have been amazed at the results. I keep my internet files 'tidy' - or I thought I did, but the first time I ran this program it deleted over 28MB of junk from 1161 files.

It lives up to its name as it deletes all your cookies, temp files, internet cache, history, etc etc. It will also delete your favourites if you don't uncheck that option so be warned.

You can find it at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/zeus/cleanup.html

Happy cleaning!

10-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Thanks
I have installed and run Cleanup which works well. It does leave all the folders within the temporary internet files together with the desktop.ini and index.dat files