PDA

View Full Version : modem/internet help - this is a curly one

globe
01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I have a d-link 2730B wireless modem from Dick Smiths. It has been fine up until Tursday evening when I tried to access the net through my desktop (connected via cable not wireless).

The internet connection wasn't working and the DSL light was not on, even though the DSL light flashes then goes off - it does this every 5 mins or so. Rang Xnet this morning and they told me it stopped working at one in the morning wed night/thur morning. They got telecom to reset the connection at the exchange and still no progress one hour later when i tried it again as they suggested.

Tried the old modem (which was having problem hence the replacement) and this works fine so was told it must be the new modem (only 6 weeks old).

Just been to DSE and exchanged for brand new and still have the same issue - old modem fine, new modem no DSL light.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks

pctek
01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Tried the old modem (which was having problem hence the replacement) and this works fine so was told it must be the new modem (only 6 weeks old).

Just been to DSE and exchanged for brand new and still have the same issue - old modem fine, new modem no DSL light.

So what else did you change? With the old modem, did you use the same cables (phonline, ethernet) from the new dead modem or it's own set of cables?

Hell of a coincidence that you have 2 dead new modems and the old one is fine, but it is possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Swap cables around.

And what brand are all these modems?

globe
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
So what else did you change? With the old modem, did you use the same cables (phonline, ethernet) from the new dead modem or it's own set of cables?

Hell of a coincidence that you have 2 dead new modems and the old one is fine, but it is possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Swap cables around.

And what brand are all these modems?

Used the same cables in all three modems. The old one is a dynalink RTA1320 - a freebie with slingshot years ago. The new is a d-link.

Found this http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=65&topicid=83230 that may or may not be relevant (but its all gobbly gook to me :o ).

pctek
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
The old one is a dynalink RTA1320 - a freebie with slingshot years ago. The new is a d-link.

It's just saying there are issues with that modem for some people close to the DSLAM. Not the brand you have.

But maybe you do have a similar issue, weird though, take the dlinks back and get a Netcomm.

Agent_24
02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
It's just saying there are issues with that modem for some people close to the DSLAM.

With the RTA1320's?

That's interesting... because I had problems with my RTA1320 after the cabinet upgrade and I'm about 200 metres away from it.

pctek
02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
With the RTA1320's?

That's interesting... because I had problems with my RTA1320 after the cabinet upgrade and I'm about 200 metres away from it.

No those others were using a totally different modem.

globe
02-07-2011, 09:15 PM
With the RTA1320's?

Was that recently ? I'm still not convinced that my RTA1320 is actually knackered, and the likelihood of two of the new modems being faulty aswell is very very small so I'm not sure it is not a service provider fault. How I demostrate this however is another matter entirely.

My RTA1320 still plays up even though it gets the service coming through.

Is there any type of test I can send from my end to test the line ? I am told that the flashing DSL light on the newer modem is my machine trying to talk to the xchange but failing.

Speedy Gonzales
02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm using a 1320v6 here (the same thing)? Been fine so far. At least it hasn't cut me off yet (like the Dlink did), after I changed ISP's

Agent_24
02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Was that recently ? I'm still not convinced that my RTA1320 is actually knackered, and the likelihood of two of the new modems being faulty aswell is very very small so I'm not sure it is not a service provider fault. How I demostrate this however is another matter entirely.

My RTA1320 still plays up even though it gets the service coming through.

Is there any type of test I can send from my end to test the line ? I am told that the flashing DSL light on the newer modem is my machine trying to talk to the xchange but failing.

Mine was getting DSL sync fine but failing to authenticate the PPP connection and get an IP address.

This only happened after the ADSL2+ cabinet upgrade about a year ago.

However, at the same time I noticed that my RTA1320 had failed capacitors which I thought might have something to do with it and so I replaced them.

Afterwards it worked perfectly for about a week and then refused to get PPP connection again, so I don't know if it is that there is damage or it just doesn't like the new cabinet.

Currently I'm using a Thomson ST536v6 which is very similar hardware-wise to the RTA1320s (but with beefier voltage regulators) and it works fine except for the horrible firmware and web interface.

I'm using a 1320v6 here (the same thing)? Been fine so far. At least it hasn't cut me off yet (like the Dlink did), after I changed ISP's

The v6 is different and has a black case. I have the older white one. The v6 is supposed to be better but I'm not sure in what way.