PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable web

johnd
01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
We have been having trouble for a couple of days now with not being able to send emails via our ISP's SMTP server. The following points are noted:

There are 2 PCs suffering from the same fate - Win XP using Outlook Express and Ubuntu using Thunderbird.
The Netgear router and been powered down and restarted. All settings have been checked including DNS and firewall.
The client SMTP settings are correct. These have been changed temporarily to the IP number of the SMTP server, but still no sending. This number can be pinged.
If you leave the email message trying to send, it will eventually say it has timed out trying to find the server.
Also seem to be unable to send from the ISP web interface.
I have a GMail account - when I change the default SMTP server to this, Thunderbird works fine.
The ISP have tested sending with my account details at the other end - appears to be no issues.

Also when I try to post this on my PC I get a long delay followed by the remote server PHP script trying to load into one of my HTML editors - weird but is this related ???It also seems as time goes on more and more web sites are not able to be loaded.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Chilling_Silence
01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Who's your ISP? Could just contact them directly, you'd be surprised, especially with the likes of Vodafone who have mail issues all the time

Something else you could look into would be DNS, what happens if you switch to the likes of OpenDNS?

johnd
01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Been on the phone with them 3 times now. They cannot see any issue.

Chilling_Silence
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I've had a Chorus tech come out 9x now since March about my broadband, doesn't mean that they're right and I don't have an issue ;-)

pctek
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
The client SMTP settings are correct.

What happens if you go into webmail and send? Send one to yourself.

johnd
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
What happens if you go into webmail and send? Send one to yourself.

Web mail does not work either for the ISP. However GMail does (even in Thunderbird).

01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
being a bit secretive ??
Perhaps if you tell us your ISP we may be able to help more .
There may be other users with similar issues or a fix for that ISP's smtp settings
ISP's OFTEN will not admit fault

Is you mail with the isp or a 3rd party
do you have a domain email adress
Does your ISP even support webmail (a couple dont)

linw
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
"I have a GMail account - when I change the default SMTP server to this, Thunderbird works fine."

Bit unusual having an ISP that doesn't bork at this (anti relay precaution).

johnd
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
being a bit secretive ??
Perhaps if you tell us your ISP we may be able to help more .
There may be other users with similar issues or a fix for that ISP's smtp settings
ISP's OFTEN will not admit fault

Yea - we have generally had good service from Xnet so not wanting to rub stuff on their face!

Is you mail with the isp or a 3rd party
do you have a domain email adress
Does your ISP even support webmail (a couple dont)

Our mail is with the ISP. No domain email address. Webmail has always worked fine in the past.

The issue seems to be growing with a number of web sites not loading. Can't get to Facebook or to my internet banking.

01-07-2011, 01:34 PM
try a speedtest on both pc's
then on each PC with the other disconnected or turned off
could be one PC flooding your network/uploads or even a faulty router (as its getting worse)

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/

you could try lowering the MTU setting in the router
is it a hardware firewall ??

The Lin PC having the same issue rules out most of the usual Win causes.

johnd
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the ideas - will probably not be able to post back once home due to attempted postings on PCW being directed back to me as PHP scripts trying to load in an HTML editor!! Got to be weird.

Chilling_Silence
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Oooh heres a good Q - What AV / Firewall / Anti-malware are you running? It could be interfering?

jareemon
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Oooh heres a good Q - What AV / Firewall / Anti-malware are you running? It could be interfering?

+1, try disabling email scans, and ask the isp if they can temporarily disable theirs for you...if thats possible...

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Programs like Mcafee and Nortons can stuff up / block o/g emails, if you use either. If you do disable o/g email scanning.

You should be able to disable the ISP's AV (if its on) through webmail

johnd
01-07-2011, 05:00 PM

I don't have any of that stuff except for a firewall on my Linux machine. Barring a faulty ADSL router/modem, I can't see what at my end would be causing this. I have changed nothing that coincides with when this problem started.

The fault is common to XP and Ubuntu so it is beyond the desktop as far as I can see.

jareemon
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
tried a firmware update for your router?

:pf1mobmini:

Chilling_Silence
01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh wait, Xnet, that's the reason why me and my parents (back in the day) left them, exactly the same issues as you're having!

Anyway, try changing DNS ?

johnd
01-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Problem fixed - nothing to do with our end as I expected. Something to do with a MTU limit affecting some customers. Thanks for the ideas!

I have to say that Xnet have been very reliable for us - this is not normal!

John