PDA

View Full Version : Using Laptop in US

EFFIGY
30-06-2011, 11:39 AM
What do I need to be able to connect my MSI GT680 laptop to mains power in the US? I'll be away for a month.

mikebartnz
30-06-2011, 12:04 PM
They do 110V not 230V and also have a different plug.

EFFIGY
30-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes, that's why I'm asking. It must be possible.
The AC DC Adapter its supplied with says input 100-240V 50-60Hz Can I just get an adapter plug for it?

Snorkbox
30-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Why not get a voltage converter like this one?

http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltage_converters.html

8ftmetalhaed
30-06-2011, 12:24 PM
just get a new cable. if it's 100-240 volts it'll be auto switching.

edit - or just an adapter for the end of it. but a butterfly cable might be easy enough. ie incase you forget or lose the adapter.

EFFIGY
30-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Looks good, what size do you think I'd need?

Scubadoo
30-06-2011, 12:26 PM
The AC DC Adapter its supplied with says input 100-240V 50-60Hz Can I just get an adapter plug for it?YES!
It IS as simple as that. Buy it here before you leave though.

Nomad
30-06-2011, 12:26 PM
above 2x. it's auto switching. me bought 2 laptops from usa and a battery charger and a DSLR from japan.

get new cable or just a traveler adaptor might be cheaper for a short trip.

Cato
30-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Why not get a voltage converter like this one?

http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltage_converters.html

You don't need it.

All laptop power adapters work with 100-240v.

EFFIGY
30-06-2011, 12:28 PM
just get a new cable. if it's 100-240 volts it'll be auto switching.

edit - or just an adapter for the end of it. but a butterfly cable might be easy enough. ie incase you forget or lose the adapter.

:blush:Whats a butterfly cable?

8ftmetalhaed
30-06-2011, 12:29 PM
the one with the 3 circle-y plugs that goes between your transformer and wall outlet. If yours has it. Otherwise might just be a jug cord.

EFFIGY
30-06-2011, 12:29 PM
So I just need a plug adapter? Thanks... I get the picture

mikebartnz
30-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes, that's why I'm asking. It must be possible.
The AC DC Adapter its supplied with says input 100-240V 50-60Hz Can I just get an adapter plug for it?
If the adapter says that then just make sure there isn't a switch and then just get a plug adapter.

Scubadoo
30-06-2011, 12:36 PM
An example - trademe - #388057648 - $8.50

EFFIGY
30-06-2011, 12:42 PM
An example - trademe - #388057648 - $8.50

I'll see what Dick Smith have later today.
Thanks all - I trust you guys more than the spotty herberts that work there :p

Jester
30-06-2011, 09:46 PM
This is not recommended but will work in a pinch.

Use pliers to straighten out the plug prongs. Slooowly. Bob's yer uncle.

Seriously now, get an adapter from the many Asian owned dollar save type of shops, we have one here in Tauranga that sells all that sort of thing, plus Ipod cords, rca cables and the like for a fraction of the price from DSE or Jaycar.

Billy T
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Seriously now, get an adapter from the many Asian owned dollar save type of shops, we have one here in Tauranga that sells all that sort of thing, plus Ipod cords, rca cables and the like for a fraction of the price from DSE or Jaycar.

DON'T buy from asian dollar stores or TM, they are junk, that is why they are so cheap. One good arc in the adapter and you may fry your computer. Remember that when operating on 110 or 115 volts the computer power supply will be drawing twice the current that it does on 230 volts. That is straight Ohms law: for equal power consumption (wattage) double the voltage means half the amps, and vice versa.

DSE and Jaycar are much better quality, or buy one at the airport on the way out, the adapters sold there are ok too, but much more expensive.

Jaycar is cheapest at $15.90 P/no PP-4023, DSE is about $10 more.

I have the Jaycar type and it has been used extensively in the States over 5 trips.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Scubadoo
01-07-2011, 08:48 AM
DON'T buy from asian dollar stores or TM, they are junk, that is why they are so cheap.---
Well I purchased a "junk" one from Trademe last year and it came in the same packaging and looks INDENTICAL to the current Jaycar product (CAT. NO. PP4025). :)

My notebook draws 38W maximum (RMS measured) from our c230VAC supply.
At USA c120VAC that equates to a whopping c320mA.
Don't think I will have a fire anytime soon.:thumbs:

I have only used it twice in USA.

Jester
01-07-2011, 09:08 AM
The one I have looks identical too, a beige oval plastic case with two prongs sticking out. There's not a lot to them TBH.

mikebartnz
01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Well I purchased a "junk" one from Trademe last year and it came in the same packaging and looks INDENTICAL to the current Jaycar product (CAT. NO. PP4025). :)

My notebook draws 38W maximum (RMS measured) from our c230VAC supply.
At USA c120VAC that equates to a whopping c320mA.
Don't think I will have a fire anytime soon.:thumbs:

I have only used it twice in USA.
It's not having a fire that is the problem but frying the laptop if someone has a junk one.
It's like cheap wall warts that give a greater output voltage than stated on them.

Scubadoo
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
It's not having a fire that is the problem but frying the laptop if someone has a junk one.
Oh I know that.

How could a "junk" (IF my TM one qualifies then so does the Jaycar product) one "fry" a laptop?

I can only envisage that POSSIBLY happening IF the contacts were loose, caused arcing AND then SOMEHOW??? passed any unlikely potentially damaging resulting spike voltages ALL the way through the mains adapter's already well isolated circuitry to the laptop.

An unlikely event in any reputable laptop manufacturers original switch-mode power supply.

All failed laptop power adapters I have inspected have either have no, low or intermittent voltage output.

Has this EVER occurred in real life to anyone here? I have NO doubt Google would find many suspected occurrences.

Sustained arcing COULD occur with the cheapest, most expensive adapter (even an original plug) or any local mains powerboard or socket.

Notice all the could, might, if, possible, maybe, somehow, up to, from, scare tactic words. :eek:
Be very careful out there! :waughh:

Billy T
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Sure they look identical, rip-offs abound on TM, but you can bet your grandmother's bedsocks that they are not the same product. I've lost count of the number of "identical" products I have opened up to find flimsy contacts that don't hold tension, plating that you can just about scrape off with a fingernail, and contacts that are plated steel and corrode if you look at them. They are made and marketed in the expectation that they will have minimal use and that their low price will forestall any come-backs.

I don't believe in fairy godmothers, and nor do I believe you can make a product of identical quality and sell it for 10% or less of a reputable brand. It is an ongoing problem in 'disposable electronics'.

As for the current drain, that is not the issue (though RMS is not the value to use, at 110-120 volts the peak current will be edging toward half an amp, given the supply range from 110 to 120v) because arcing is driven by voltage, not current and if your inter-connections start fizzing, data loss or computer damage may be higher up the fault probability list than fires, but of course the adapter is self-extinguishing plastic too, isn't it?

If manufacturers will supply a heater to hang on the wall for heavens sake, and it had to be a minimum of 500 to 100 watts to be worthy of the name, then quality and safety is well down their list, and brainless, or at best gullible, idiots are their target market.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Scubadoo
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Sure they look identical, rip-offs abound on TM, but you can bet your grandmother's bedsocks that they are not the same product.Come on please give us some credit.
IT IS THE SAME PRODUCT!!!

The trader was simply a Jaycar wholesale reseller.
Google for example Electus Distribution.

To the original OP - EFFIGY -

I hope you now have your adapter from whatever source.
It WILL do the job you expect and perfectly safely.
Enjoy your travels.

laptopgamer
11-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Dear all,

First I'd like to apologize for bumping an old thread and for my question being not exactly related to the thread but its an emergency and google is not helping.

I own the MSi GT680 and I lost my charger. Is it ok to use my girlfriend's laptop charger? She has a vaio and below are the specs of the charger:

Sony AC Adapter VGP-AC19V31
19.5V
Input: 100~240V, 1.1A(1,1A) - 0.5A(0,5A) 50/60Hz
Output: 19.5V(19,5V) """ 4.7A (4,7A)

Now according to http://www.ebuybatteries.com/product/laptop-adapters/Other/MSI-AC150W010.htm the MSi adapter requires something slightly different.

What worries me is the difference in size between both adapters, the MSi adapter is huge while the Vaio adapter is approximately half its size. So is it ok?

gary67
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
You could just get a universal adapter from Dick Smiths, so long as it outputs the correct wattage and has an adapter to fit your laptop

PinoyKiw
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Go to somewhere like Warehouse Stationary or Dick Smiths and the like and just get yourself a travel adapter to fit between your current plug and the wall socket.

That is probably the easiest and quickest way.

(didn't notice the dates, this is a old thread but been bumped to the top)