PDA

View Full Version : SSH Server C2S - Forwarding internet connection

The Error Guy
29-06-2011, 02:21 PM
I am currently setting up a ubuntu PC to act as a SSH server among other things. One of its purposes will be forwarding an internet connection so I can use my internet connection from home rather than the one I use now (which is behind a proxy that dosn't support HTTPS)

Now, it is my understanding that I would use S2C (server to client) on the server side and C2S (Client to server) forwarding on the client side to pass the internet connection from the server to the client and vice versa. If so, how would I configure it? or is it not actually necessary to configure on the Server side?

Cheers for your help as usual!

PS, using ubuntu 11.04 Desktop edtn. Not sure if server edtn will be better for the task but I dont have that .iso on me atm

somebody
29-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Have you confirmed that you can actually make outbound SSH connections from your (restricted/proxy filtered) internet connection?

The Error Guy
30-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes, I have made connections to a variety of SSH servers including a mates which had C2S

somebody
30-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok. I haven't heard C2S and S2C used in this context before, but what you can do is tunnel traffic through your SSH connection. One common method is to tunnel a connection to a proxy server, and run through outbound traffic through that. Apparently you can do something like: http://paulstamatiou.com/how-to-surf-securely-with-ssh-tunnel although I never managed to get this sort of thing working last time I tried. Instead I ended up port-forwarding to a squid proxy on a server I controlled.