PDA

View Full Version : Router suggestions please.

bluenose
29-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi folks!

Belkin router giving me grief so I would like to replace it with something more reliable.

I do *NOT* require a modem. I am on Telstra Fibre Cable and the Motorola Surfboard is working ok.

Apart from the Desktop PC which is 'Hardwired' to the modem 2 laptops will use wi-fi for access. One is wireless G and the other is wireles N.

Thanks for any help.

bluenose.

Richardd150
29-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Check out this recent thread on this topic: 'Wireless router of a Telstra cable modem'
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=118435

Don't know if the link will work but you should be able to find it.

Chilling_Silence
29-06-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd go for the WRT54GL. Some of the WRT54G's weren't as good as the GL, had less RAM etc, but the GL is a pretty damn awesome box.

Put Tomato or Gargoyle firmware on it and you're set for life! I've become particularly fond of Gargoyle lately with its per-device bandwidth caps, as well as search / internet history logging. Very freakin cool!!

gretag34
29-06-2011, 02:14 PM
They don't support wireless N do they?

Richardd150
29-06-2011, 02:29 PM
They don't support wireless N do they?
I should imagine the 'N' laptop isn't restricted to 'N' - could be changed to 'G'? But you're right, I understand the 54GL is b/g only.

bluenose
29-06-2011, 02:33 PM
@ Richardd150.
Thanks for the pointer. I was able to follow the thread but I have already spent nearly 40 hours on the phone to Belkin (NO)Helpdesk in India. They have replaced the router twice and my ear for the Indian accent is now very good. But the router runs for a while then falls over. No more chances for them!!

@ chilling_silence. I have read your articles for the WRT54GL (Am I right in thinking that they come under 2 or 3 different names?) What I have found on the net seem to only 802.11g. Is this correct? I would prefer if possible to get something in 802.11b/g/n. OK on Gargoyle and Tomato where can they be obtained from?

bluenose.

AvonBill
29-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I've recently installed a Netcomm NP804N Wireless N300 alongside a Telstra setup exactly as you have described. It's working well. Price range $90-$130.

bluenose
29-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks AvonBill.

That looks interesting. I'll have to have a look around locally and see if I can find something.

Chilling_Silence
29-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah not a fan of the Belkin stuff personally ...

The WRT54G comes in about 8 or 9 different flavours. Some are *significantly* better than others. The WRT54GL (L for Linux / Open-source) is the best / most reliable.

It only does G-wireless, most non-standard firmware that's based off OpenWRT doesn't support N-Wireless. Most of the time you're better buying a bigger antenna for your WRT54GL and positioning it well, as opposed to going for N-Wireless IMO.

bluenose
29-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the explanation Chill. I have no problem with antennae (I was a radio tech in the RAF and have been a radio ham for the last 30 years or so) just the unreliable Belkin product.

Just as I opened this page MSSE popped up a msg. "Worm:Win32/Conficker.C detected". I just followed instructions and it was fixed. M$ seem to have done something right, Eh?

blunose

gretag34
29-06-2011, 06:23 PM
It only does G-wireless, most non-standard firmware that's based off OpenWRT doesn't support N-Wireless. Most of the time you're better buying a bigger antenna for your WRT54GL and positioning it well, as opposed to going for N-Wireless IMO.

With wireless N, you can get as high as 50-60Mbps real performance, which is faster that the theoretical maximum of G.

Iantech
29-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Sadly, in my experience I ave found linksys products to have a short wireless range, (might be why Chill suggested replacing the antenna) although they are feature packed.

While I have heard and had a few problems with d-link with clients, I run a http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353203 , its never missed a beat, super reliable, still connect at 180Mbps at the other end of the house, has nice features for online gaming, server access, remote access, pin holeing etc. Dual wireless networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz)

Probably I worst I have dealt with has been belkin, I wouldnt recemmend one to anyone, good luck with selecting a new router blue.

Thats my :2cents: worth.

Chilling_Silence
30-06-2011, 08:15 AM
With wireless N, you can get as high as 50-60Mbps real performance, which is faster that the theoretical maximum of G.

Absolutely, but considering most people just want to browse happily over it, and perhaps stream the odd HD movie, G-wireless is still a nice option for a lot of people right now. If they want to maximize speeds, then a bigger antenna and bumping the power output in the firmware is the way to go.

Granted 802.11* is half-duplex and all connected clients share the bandwidth, but it's *still* fast enough for most home users :)