PDA

View Full Version : Motion Detection with easy on / off via phone

Chilling_Silence
28-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

So I've been using Vitamin D which is great, the free version has been working well with my TP-Link Wireless Cameras (albeit only one at a time).

However, before I buy one of the paid editions, I'm more interested in something that's easy to enable / disable via a phone, in my case my wife and I have two Android phones.

We figure there's no need to have it recording while we're at home, and it creeps my wife out a little bit.

So, ideally, I'm looking for something like Vitamin D, or go1984, that can easily be turned on / off via an Android App, or via some HTTP request over our WiFi. That way, as we walk out of the house, we can turn the recording on, and when we pull up home, we can turn it off again.
That'd also mean I could set it up to alert us via SMS / Email / FTP / Streaming video / whatever, every time it detects some description of movement (More than just our cats), and not have it *constantly* pinging us.

Scheduling doesn't work, our hours vary constantly, it's just not a plausible solution.

Any ideas / thoughts / comments / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chill.

jareemon
28-06-2011, 06:25 PM
what about an android app like teamviewer, then you could control whatever you need to from your phone

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone use an Iphone / Ipad??

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iautom8-home-automation/id398239014?mt=8

Here's some info about DIY home security

http://www.pcworld.com/article/231260/home_automation_inside_a_diy_smart_house.html#tk.h p_new

plod
28-06-2011, 08:29 PM
No ideas, but would be good if it turned itself on when the phone gets out of wifi range.......

mikebartnz
28-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Zoneminder and as long as you know your IP address you can log on and do what you like. Slightly limited from a phone though.

xHTML mobile/cellular phone access allowing access to common functions
iPhone interface available
You can set it up on a headless Linux box.
As long as your camera will work with it you could use thirty odd of them.

B.M.
28-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

So I've been using Vitamin D which is great, the free version has been working well with my TP-Link Wireless Cameras (albeit only one at a time).

However, before I buy one of the paid editions, I'm more interested in something that's easy to enable / disable via a phone, in my case my wife and I have two Android phones.

We figure there's no need to have it recording while we're at home, and it creeps my wife out a little bit.

So, ideally, I'm looking for something like Vitamin D, or go1984, that can easily be turned on / off via an Android App, or via some HTTP request over our WiFi. That way, as we walk out of the house, we can turn the recording on, and when we pull up home, we can turn it off again.
That'd also mean I could set it up to alert us via SMS / Email / FTP / Streaming video / whatever, every time it detects some description of movement (More than just our cats), and not have it *constantly* pinging us.

Scheduling doesn't work, our hours vary constantly, it's just not a plausible solution.

Any ideas / thoughts / comments / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chill.

Donít know if itís any help but I use ActiveWebcam when I go to Aus.

Sometimes Iím away for over a month or more but I get a photo via E-Mail of anyone that enters my office, (Which looks down the passage which covers most doors.)

I set it up to catch a mateís son who was due to be released from prison whilst I was away one time. The sod had stolen from his parents, grandparents and dying brother and I guessed he would know I was away and see easy pickings. The ploy was that when I got an E-Mail with his photo I would ring the local police watchouse direct, whose number I had on my mobile, and forward them the photo/E-Mail complete and ask he be removed and placed back in his cell.

It never eventuated because the probation outfit sent him back to his cell anyway and spoilt the fun.

However, I digress, the bottom line is itís a hell of a good programme and I got photos of the neighbour entering to feed the cat and the cat coming and going. The sensitivity is adjustable but Iím happy to get a couple of photos a day of the cat which tells me security is working.

The programme handles multiple Webcams and has all sorts of bells and whistles.

May not be what youíre after Chill but may help others.

Chilling_Silence
29-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I'll look into it, and ZoneMinder, that sounds like it'll do nicely.

TeamViewer / RDP is too much work signing in etc to enable / disable.
Wifi proximity could work, but the phones turn WiFi off to save power when not in use ;)

mikebartnz
29-06-2011, 03:49 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is if the repositories don't have the latest version go to Zoneminders site and get it as more cameras work with the latest.

mikebartnz
13-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Have you had any joy with this yet Chill.
I have just set it up on my little MSI u100 and it is working perfectly.
Configure can be a bit of fun and I found this worked for me.

CPPFLAGS=-D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS ./configure --with-ffmpeg=/usr/lib --with-webdir=/var/www/html --with-cgidir=/var/www/cgi-bin --enable-mmap=no ZM_SSL_LIB=openssl ZM_DB_USER=<user name> ZM_DB_PASS=<password>

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2011, 08:57 AM
No, haven't had a chance to, to be honest, I've been playing LOTRO at nights when I could be doing this :p

It's on this weekends to-do list though!

mikebartnz
13-07-2011, 11:29 AM
No, haven't made the chance to, to be honest, I've been playing LOTRO at nights when I could be doing this :p

It's on this weekends to-do list though!
Fixed that for you Chill.:):)

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2011, 11:33 AM
made doesnt make sense. Had sounds better

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Either way, I'm too lazy, I wanna game :p

mikebartnz
13-07-2011, 12:29 PM
made doesnt make sense. Had sounds better
Made does make sense because he said he had been playing Lotro.

Just joking with you Chill.:)

Empathy.
13-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Either way, I'm too lazy, I wanna game :p

Not like you're any good anyways.. ;)

Seeya on LoTRO tonight, instead of doing what you should be doing, yet again :p