PDA

View Full Version : Cannot start my computer, BIOS problem.

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 02:57 PM
So the very first thing that happens when I start my computer is this:

It starts randomly beeping and displays this:
Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
Drive A error. System halt

what should I do?

motherboard: EVGA 132-YW-E179-A1 nVidia nForce 790i SLI Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1600 MHz PC3-16000 (DDR3-2000) ATX Motherboard Retail

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Remove the floppy if theres one in the floppy (if you use it). Or disable the floppy in the BIOS. If you dont use it. Or set the BIOS settings to its default settings / reconfigure them, save

Or replace the CMOS battery. Did you flash the BIOS recently?

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Remove the floppy if theres one in the floppy (if you use it). Or disable the floppy in the BIOS. If you dont use it. Or set the BIOS settings to its default settings / reconfigure them, save

Or replace the CMOS battery. Did you flash the BIOS recently?

Yes, the guy I got it from did say he recently flashed it. I do not have any floppy drives attached. I can't even access the BIOS, that's the first message I get when I press the power button. I could run down the street to the store and get a battery within 10mins.

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Did the guy flash it with the right BIOS? What key are you pressing (to try and get into the BIOS)?? The delete key? (it maybe something else)

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Did the guy flash it with the right BIOS? What key are you pressing (to try and get into the BIOS)?? The delete key? (it maybe something else)

Guess I 'm not sure, if he used the wrong one, is there a way to fix it without a floppy? And yes, I used the delete key.

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 03:25 PM
If whoever flashed the BIOS is down the road as well. I would take it back and tell them to fix it. They should at least check it. So it'll actually boot / work after they flash the BIOS

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 03:30 PM
If whoever flashed the BIOS is down the road as well. I would take it back and tell them to fix it. They should at least check it. So it'll actually boot / work after they flash the BIOS

Well I they just wanted to get rid of it so I'm tryin' to fix it. I'm usually good with computers, this just has me stumped.

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Could i just re-flash?

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Pull the CMOS battery out on the mobo for about 1 min. Then put it back in. Then see if you can get into the BIOS. If you can reconfigure it / save the settings.

You could try reflashing it, but that depends on how you do it. You may need a floppy or usb flash. Or windows. But, you probably wont get far, if you cant even get past the post screen

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 03:45 PM
yeah true, I wouldn't even know how to re-flash because I can't get into windows or my BIOS. I pulled the battery for a min. and it still is doin' the same thing

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I can't even change my boot setting so I guess I might be forced to use Floppy...

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 04:31 PM
any other ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Reboot hold down F1 / F2. See what happens. Did you hold the delete key down, after rebooting?? Not just press it once?

Other than that, take it back to the shop or whoever flashed the BIOS

Tell them to fix it, so you can use it.

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Reboot hold down F1 / F2. See what happens. Did you hold the delete key down, after rebooting?? Not just press it once?

Other than that, take it back to the shop or whoever flashed the BIOS

Tell them to fix it, so you can use it.

Nah, those keys don't do anything, same screen immediatly apon pressin' the power button.

jareemon
27-06-2011, 05:14 PM
it looks to me like the bios needs flashing again. Maybe the original owner flashed it because he was having the same problem... Good thing you can get replacement bios chips for these boards

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Dont know then, take it back to the shop. Thats the only other option

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 05:20 PM
it looks to me like the bios needs flashing again. Maybe the original owner flashed it because he was having the same problem... Good thing you can get replacement bios chips for these boards

How much is the chip? Easy to replace? Or could I just re-flsh via floppy?

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Well flash it if you can, see what happens

Snorkbox
27-06-2011, 05:23 PM
The manual says Press DEL to enter the bios. And you say that does not work.

Have you downloaded the manual?

jareemon
27-06-2011, 05:24 PM
You could try reflashing it, but that depends on how you do it. But, you probably wont get far, if you cant even get past the post screen

The O.P's mobo is reporting a bios error then proceeds to look for a fdd to flash from, there is no fdd, so thats why it halts.
If you install a fdd, and insert a floppy containing the flashing utility, it should reflash

jareemon
27-06-2011, 05:29 PM
if it comes right after flashing, replace the bios chip before it happens again. Just google 'EVGA 132-YW-E179-A1 bios' and you'll find a few sites that sell these chips. Look at your motherboard to see whether the bios chip is soldered or socketed.

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 05:29 PM
The O.P's mobo is reporting a bios error then proceeds to look for a fdd to flash from, there is no fdd, so thats why it halts.
If you install a fdd, and insert a floppy containing the flashing utility, it should reflash

Alright well I'll install my fdd, but I need to find another one that I can use to actully put the file on.

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Thats what I asked / said in the 2nd post. It may have to be bootable, so it'll boot into dos. Just disable it in the BIOS. Then it may work

Snorkbox
27-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Thats what I asked / said in the 2nd post. It may have to be bootable, so it'll boot into dos. Just disable it in the BIOS. Then it may work

But if he can't get into the BIOS???

Zoonosis
27-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Ok so, update.

I installed my floppy drive and downloaded my bios from: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2 and here is the new message at startup:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...

Drive media is : 1.44Mb

Automatic Load AWDFLASH.EXE .....
!! ERRIR -- AWDFLASH.EXE Not Found !!
Replace the DISK AND PRESS ENTER

should I just rename my bios file to AWDFLASH.EXE on the floppy drive??

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 08:15 PM
You need the BIOS tool (awdflash.exe) and the updated BIOS. And the floppy I would say will have to be a system / bootable disk. So,

1. Make a system floppy.

2. Copy awdflash.exe and the BIOS update (unzip it first) to the floppy.

3. Boot from the floppy. Then read the manual, and see how you use awdflash. Type awdflash /? to see how to use it

Follow the link

http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/tm.asp?m=671353

Even tho its not the same mobo, its the same procedure. Just use the BIOS update you downloaded

jareemon
27-06-2011, 10:08 PM
speedy, are you sure it needs to be bootable, since the bios is automatically loading the flashing utility?

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Unless it supports something like ASUS mobos (Ez-flash, or Crashfree BIOS), I would say the floppy or USB flash drive needs to be bootable / be a system disk with DOS files on it. You had to do this with pre Ez-flash and pre Crashfree ASUS mobos. If you wanted to flash a BIOS

If the BIOS loaded awdflash automatically, it wouldnt say it cant find it. Its probably on the floppy (as the bootdisk) in the BIOS