PDA

View Full Version : Install fibre at new premesis

Gobe1
27-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Telsta option:
60k to install (telstra will pay for a portion of this ~20k)
2k/month for 200Gb usage:stare: (EDIT: 10mb up and down)

as you can see we will continue with Adsl2.....

Zippity
27-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Cheapskate :)

ronyville
27-06-2011, 10:20 AM
we got approached by orcon sometime back, they offered us 10M up and 10m down for $1500/month and UNCAPPED! If you do need fibre than i suggest call up all ISPs and check what they have to offer.

CYaBro
27-06-2011, 10:35 AM
:horrified
We are on a 15Mbps down 10Mbps up 40GB plan, on fibre, and it costs $135 per month including a voip phone line. :p

SolMiester
27-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Telsta option:
60k to install (telstra will pay for a portion of this ~20k)
2k/month for 200Gb usage:stare: (EDIT: 10mb up and down)

as you can see we will continue with Adsl2.....

60k to install?....wut?!...How far are you from the CBD?
Have you approached FX Networks?

Gobe1
27-06-2011, 11:01 AM
60k to install?....wut?!...How far are you from the CBD?
Have you approached FX Networks?

The (Telstra) line is about 50 meters away (railway line) so i guess that is to cut a trench etc everything
So should i call Orcon to see what they could do??

Cyabro, we use 150Gb a month adsl so 40Gb is not gonna cut it, unlimited would be best

SolMiester
27-06-2011, 11:31 AM
The (Telstra) line is about 50 meters away (railway line) so i guess that is to cut a trench etc everything

Cyabro, we use 150Gb a month adsl so 40Gb is not gonna cut it, unlimited would be best

LOL, sounds to me that Telstra doesnt want the job, 60k for 50 metres...LMAO!

We got quoted 5k from the street over from us, which wouldnt be far off the 50m!

dugimodo
27-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Bear in mind that fibre running past can't necessarily be used for what you want. It would need to be a lot more work than just running fibre 50M to justify 60k.

And at 2K a month it sounds like commercial rates for the kind of service an ISP would pay for, not a home user kinda plan.

The UFB stuff when it gets here will hopefully be a whole lot more affordable than that.

Empathy.
27-06-2011, 12:20 PM
*So* glad, I don't need this.. Think I'll stick with regular ADSL2+ until I go out and win Lotto, seems like my only option if I'd ever want an upgrade ;)

CYaBro
27-06-2011, 01:20 PM

That's just the plan we're on, our ISP does do more GB for more $.
EG: 100GB would be $219 per month.

Gobe1
27-06-2011, 01:24 PM
All good, i couldnt see the bosses signing off 1500 bucks a month for internet but it has been an interesting project...
I rang Orcon and they are checking out what they can offer at the new site
I will let you know the damage

Not really wanting to pay the price for Fibre or HSNS but am also looking at load sharing 2-3 ADSL2+ lines instead.
We need better VPN speed for the Ozzy office being the real driver here

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Depending on your location in relation to the exchange etc, multi-homing ADSL2+ can work well.
Otherwise, if you need the upstream, look into HSNS Lite.

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Bear in mind that fibre running past can't necessarily be used for what you want. It would need to be a lot more work than just running fibre 50M to justify 60k.

<snip />

The UFB stuff when it gets here will hopefully be a whole lot more affordable than that.

Exactly, Fibre isn't the kind of thing you can say "Oh there's Fibre running past my home, I'll just tap into that". No, Fibre doesn't exactly work that way. Be willing to bet 99% of people have never even seen fibre let alone worked with it ;)

But yes, when Chorus FTTN hits the 75 -> 80% of the country (Mines going in as we speak, within the next 3 weeks it should be live) at the end of the year, that'll make a *nice* improvements to the speeds for the majority of people, provided they're with a decent ISP which isn't oversubscribing on the international side of things ;)
There should be little reason why a user can't run a speedtest to Australia and get full line speeds. If they can't, it's time to bring it up with their ISP and resolve it, or act with your wallet and shift elsewhere.

SolMiester
27-06-2011, 02:34 PM
All good, i couldnt see the bosses signing off 1500 bucks a month for internet but it has been an interesting project...
I rang Orcon and they are checking out what they can offer at the new site
I will let you know the damage

Not really wanting to pay the price for Fibre or HSNS but am also looking at load sharing 2-3 ADSL2+ lines instead.

What about looking at VHDSL?

Gobe1
27-06-2011, 02:47 PM
What about looking at VHDSL?

I will check out to see what we can get
Map says vdsl installed feb 2011 :)

Alex B
27-06-2011, 04:06 PM

What services are you trying to run over VPN? Maybe you're best to have a dedicated site to site VPN DSL connection for the ozzy stuff if it's just one office. That's what we did in our chch office until we could get fibre/one office pro installed after the feb earthquake.

berryb
27-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I would wait for UFB to be implemented. I have seen the projected wholesale prices for school connections and it is not known what data charges will be but would expect to be less than you are being quoted.

Information here http://www.crownfibre.govt.nz/media/13216/fact%20sheet%20-%20agreement%20with%20chorus.pdf

Even though you are not a school one would hope the cost would compare.

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I would wait for UFB to be implemented. I have seen the projected wholesale prices for school connections and it is not known what data charges will be but would expect to be less than you are being quoted.

Yeah see that's just for the *connection*, for the home. Data still comes on top of that.

Doesn't matter if you're getting VDSL2 or Fibre at 30mbps, only difference may be upload speeds, but you're still going to have to pay for data either way.

Entry level Consumer
-> 30 Mbps Downstream / 10Mbps Upstream
-> Minimum 2.5Mbps Symmetric
-> $37.50
That's a wholesale price, that your ISP buys the connection from Telecom off.

I promise current DSL wholesale price is significantly less, though data caps will likely be relatively similar between the products.

On top of that, your ISP has to pay for everything else internally, such as their accounting, management, helpdesk, recovering costs of sending out crappy free modems, advertising, renting premises, power etc etc, so they ain't gonna make $1 per-customer, per-month and survive...

Fibre *will* still be a premium product.
It's not going to compete with DSL in terms of entry-level connections. Hell there's still like 15-odd % of the country who use Dial-Up for whatever reason (Price? Internet usage habits?). Why fork out more for DSL, or yet again even MORE for Fibre?

That, and there's no current certainty around availability timeframes, so if you want faster internet, then go out and get yourself 100m/bit (We've got 100m/bit national with 10m/bit international), but you pay for it. For us at work, it's working a treat, and well worth the money!
If you can get by on multi-homed DSL, then great, or split up one DSL line for Voice, one for VPN, one for email / browsing / other? It's not *that* expensive for a DSL line.

Empathy.
28-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Hell there's still like 15-odd % of the country who use Dial-Up for whatever reason

:crying I have no idea how those people live... Ever... Under any circumstance...

(We've got 100m/bit national with 10m/bit international), but you pay for it. For us at work, it's working a treat, and well worth the money!

Keen, shout me some too then? :thumbs:

Fifthdawn
28-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm still rocking on with my 0.15mbs up and down + 20k ms pings at peak times. :punk

Chilling_Silence
28-06-2011, 02:16 PM
When do you get cabinetized? December?

Greven
28-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I have been promised that the Invercargill fibre will be competitive with DSL pricing when it arrives.

Gobe1
18-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Update on the move: (two weeks to go)
Orcon can do fibre too expensive, hsns too expensive
Telstra can do fibre same as Orcon
Primo wireless do a 10mb/10mb wireless, cheaper than hsns from either above

Thought why dont i ring telecom?.... "we dont do anything but adsl2" Whaaaaaaat?
Yet all their competitors do????? "You will know when we do, it will be all over the tv" Beep beep are you there sir? i hung up, couldn't believe that pompous bastards

Adsl2 is the best bang for buck in New Plymouth

Wish i could move to whangarei.....

EDIT: even though vdsl is available telecom dont do it well thats what they told me LOL

EDIT2: And orcon cannot move our IP address unless it is on the same exchange

PrimoWireless
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey Gobe,

flick me an email and tell me what you need and ill see what we can come up with.

Cheers,

Matthew
PrimoWireless