PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" hd audio vs s/pdif

jareemon
26-06-2011, 09:41 PM
hey guys, trying to figure out the best way to connect my logitech z906 to my onboard sound (asus m4n98td).
The only outputs on the mobo are optical s/pdif, coaxial s/pdif, and 'hd audio' 1/8" (headphone type plug) for 7.1.
I'm inclined to use optical toslink for reliability as i hear coaxial doesnt have any major advantages, but with the limitations of s/pdif, would analogue hd audio 1/8th plugs be betterer?

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Probably optical. Since its only one cable. But, have you got a cable?

jareemon
26-06-2011, 10:00 PM
i have one on order. I dont mind using more than one cable, but would the analogue hd audio cables sound better or have any advantages over s/pdif?

Metla
26-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I can't imagine it would matter with that speaker setup.

On my system there was a very noticeable difference between optical & coaxial, No idea about HD cables though.

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2011, 10:10 PM
This may help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toslink

Or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

I dont have digital myself (I do have a soundcard with analog / digital in / out), and the toslink cable. But I dont think there are any 64 bit drivers for it. Or I would probably install it. It would probably be better than the onboard sound

Iantech
26-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I dont know alot about it, but believe digital sound is better definition and range than analogue, if you can go digital, I would go for it. Coaxial or fibre.

jareemon
26-06-2011, 10:17 PM
metla, are you saying optical was better than coaxial or vice versa?

Metla
26-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I can't imagine it would matter with that speaker setup.

On my system there was a very noticeable difference between optical & coaxial, No idea about HD cables though.

from Wiki...

Signals transmitted over consumer-grade TOSLINK connections are identical in content to those transmitted over coaxial S/PDIF connectors

I figured that was the case, though it does make me wonder why my system sounds better using the optical....

Metla
26-06-2011, 10:21 PM
metla, are you saying optical was better than coaxial or vice versa?

The optical was better, I was running them both for an instant comparison.

In an earlier thread someone mention optical was no good for HD audio as it couldn't handle the bandwidth and downgraded the signal.

They also said that only HDMI cables would carry the full HD audio.....

jareemon
26-06-2011, 10:40 PM
yea i heard that too, but with the analogue HD audio 1/8th plug, it could be better than optical because it is hd and optical is not hd...?

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Connect it once you get the cable. And see which one sounds better

jareemon
26-06-2011, 11:07 PM
but the analogue hd audio is 4 cables, which i dont really want to buy unless i know it will be better than toslink