PDA

View Full Version : Best 2TB hard drive (reliability)

hueybot3000
26-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Going to get one but not sure what the latest is on brands. Ive always used WD and hated Seagate cos they gave me nothing but trouble. Samsung I've heard good things about.

Anything changed?

Cheers

DeSade
26-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I have never had any issues with Seagate. YMMV

Iantech
26-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I used to swear by seagate 7-8 yrs ago(when the options were Maxdor, Quantum Bigfoots & WD's were hard to get and expensive), but now I usually go for WD and in recent years have only had 1 return. While talking with a supplier recently, they tell me they have more WD returns than Samsung. I have used Samsung a few times when WD's were out of stock and havent had any trouble with them, only comment I would make about them is that I think they sound a bit noisy.

Samsung Spinpoint 2Tb drives seem to be 5400rpm 32Mb cache where as the WD Caviar Black 2Tb is 7200rpm 64Mb cache. The WD drive should be the better drive of the two.
Hope that helps a bit. Cheers

Metla
26-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Didn't Seagate buy Western Digital?

Agent_24
26-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Going to get one but not sure what the latest is on brands. Ive always used WD and hated Seagate cos they gave me nothing but trouble. Samsung I've heard good things about.

Anything changed?

Cheers

Going by Newegg Reviews on the most popular 2TB Hard drives it seems the Samsung is the best.

The Western Digital WD20EARS gets 46% 5-Stars
The Seagate ST2000DL003 gets 59% 5-Stars
The Samsung HD204UI gets 70% 5-Stars

Not.... yet.

trinsic
26-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Samsung's HDD devision.

wainuitech
26-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Western Digital are fine, just stay away from the BLACK editions, they have a large failure rate.

jareemon
26-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Western Digital are fine, just stay away from the BLACK editions, they have a large failure rate.

+1

:pf1mobmini:

Burnzee
26-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Hueybot3000

Stay away from 2TB Seagate. Brought one last year. Nothing but trouble. Got it right from day one - the dreaded Seagate Click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytEUdEM6ek&feature=related)!!

Seagate deny there is a problem with their drives but they can come around and hear mine if they like. Should have taken it back but I was living in hope, the drive would come right. It hasn't.

The actual drive works as it's suppose to most times but the click drives yah nuts. Ocassionly, it has click fits and nothing happens - just sits there and clicks.

In my opinion, (and that of owner's on other forums), Seagate's are crap.

BURNZEE

DeSade
26-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Hueybot3000

Stay away from 2TB Seagate. Brought one last year. Nothing but trouble. Got it right from day one - the dreaded Seagate Click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytEUdEM6ek&feature=related)!!

Seagate deny there is a problem with their drives but they can come around and hear mine if they like. Should have taken it back but I was living in hope, the drive would come right. It hasn't.

The actual drive works as it's suppose to most times but the click drives yah nuts. Ocassionly, it has click fits and nothing happens - just sits there and clicks.

In my opinion, (and that of owner's on other forums), Seagate's are crap.

BURNZEE

My experience refutes this.
I own a total of 5 2TB Seagate drives and before I sold my last computer I owned 7 of them.

Never had a single problem with any of them.

jareemon
26-06-2011, 09:06 PM
if you're worried about reliability i think an enterprise drive or raid1 could be for you

:pf1mobmini:

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah go for RAID. As drives are getting bigger and bigger, things like that will become more and more common, as you start to lose *more* by a single failure.

I'm with Iantech etc, I'd go WD, but the Green or Blue. Not Black.

Empathy.
27-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, own a Seagate at home, personally never had any problems (Not a 2TB mind you, wish it was though.) Maybe I got lucky on it, or maybe the problems are only with the 2TB HDD's :/

dugimodo
27-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I have used seagate and WD and never had a drive fail. Just lucky I guess - been building/upgrading pc's since the late 80's - started with a 386.

Currently I have 5 WD drives between 1-3 yrs old, no problems. 1 samsung And 1 remaining seagate - 500G and I've forgotten how long I've had it, but it's the oldest and has had a hammering, been raided etc - never missed a beat.

I think if you stick to the popular brands you have to be quite unlucky to get a dud, and they all have pretty good warranties.

For storage I reccomend the WD green drives, they are actually fairly quick and reasonably priced. And really how often does the speed of your storage actually matter?

For system drives a WD Blue / Black (except apparently not as reliable? ), seagate barracuda, or Samsumg all would be fine.

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I've had one samsung melt, but that was coz there was 5 in a PC and they were getting bloody hot because I was a n00b with the cooling.

Had 3 seagates randomly die for no apparent reason over the years, of varying sizes, but I seem to remember them being around the 80 / 120GB size?

Never had any drive over 500GB die on me (thankfully).

For my mass storage I've gone with 3x 1.5TB WD My Books (NOT the Essentials), the ones that stand vertical. They've got better cooling than the Essentials ones, and when you've got that much data, that's one thing you wanna make sure you're not going to overlook ;)

Empathy.
27-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I've had one samsung melt, but that was coz there was 5 in a PC and they were getting bloody hot because I was a n00b with the cooling.

Very experienced with your n00b cooling, like forgetting to connect the CPU Fan, when fiddling with my PC eh? ;)

Agent_24
27-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe I got lucky on it, or maybe the problems are only with the 2TB HDD's :/

The constant increase in areal density and the fast progression of this is probably a contributing factor... That's why I like waiting a couple of revisions for new drives etc so the new problems are more sorted before I buy them... of course if you wait too long you get the "we took half the stuff out to make it cheaper but now it's less reliable" problem

Iantech
27-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I run 2 x 500Gb WD blacks in a raid 1 config and a secondary 1Tb WD black in my main i7 Win7 Pro system, all run quiet, fast and without a problem (touch wood). Have also installed a few recently without any issues.

Samsung still reminds me of a cake mixer or microwave or something and not the maker of HDDs. Same with Hitachi that are in many laptops, they remind me of electric drills and power tools. I think I still like the old reliable names of seagate and WD.

Every manufacturer goes through periods of good and bad editions of their products and rise and fall. I think with mass production these days its a bit of a gamble no matter what brand you choose.

All WD's have a standard 3Yr warranty and WD Blacks have a standard 5Yr waranty, that to me is important.

Agent_24
27-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Samsung still reminds me of a cake mixer or microwave or something and not the maker of HDDs. Same with Hitachi that are in many laptops, they remind me of electric drills and power tools.

Well they're not any more anyway, since Samsung sold their HDD division to Seagate.

And Hitachi sold their HDD division to Western Digital...

So I guess that just leaves Seagate, Western Digital and Toshiba (who incidentally recently purchased the HDD division of Fujitsu)

Iantech
27-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Interesting info Agent, forgot about Fujitsu, seen them in a few older lappys also. Cheers :thumbs:

Agent_24
27-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah you don't see them or Toshiba around much normally as they only sell to OEM not retail.

hueybot3000
10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, sorry it took so long for me too.

I actually might look into raid, not a huge setup but something. Whats the way to go for a cheap setup?

I would probaly want a 1tb sized pool to keep important stuff.

Cheers

Digby
10-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Slightly off topic, but I remember 10 years ago Toshiba was the laptop brand.
Expensive, but very reliable

I think Toshiba also make Nuclear Power Stations.

nedkelly
10-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Get a pci or pcie raid card that can have 4 drives and then choose the raid type that you want.

Slightly off topic, but I remember 10 years ago Toshiba was the laptop brand.
Expensive, but very reliable

I think Toshiba also make Nuclear Power Stations.

My laptop has a nuke in it?

Chilling_Silence
11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Yeah I'll second what nedkelly said. A cheap PCI-e card works well :)