PDA

View Full Version : Deactivate Win7 / Office 2010?

Nomad
26-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi, I have Win7 and Office 2010 installed on laptop? Do I need and how do I deactivate the license?

I need to format my HD and reinstall due to a unbootable boot volume. Recovery console did not work.

It's working now and then but then HD freezes.

Thanks.

bot
26-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi, I have Win7 and Office 2010 installed on laptop? Do I need and how do I deactivate the license?

I need to format my HD and reinstall due to a unbootable boot volume. Recovery console did not work.

Thanks.

AFAIK you can't deactivate the licence and you probably don't need to.

Did it come with Office and 7?

Agent_24
26-06-2011, 03:35 AM

I would check the HDD SMART logs if it's playing up, could be it's got bad sectors or other issues.

And yes as bot said, you don't deactivate, you just re-activate next time and if that doesn't work call Microsoft and tell them what happened and they'll fix it.

Alex B
26-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't bother with SMART it's rubbish. Use seatools, it works on any brand of hdd.

Agent_24
26-06-2011, 04:17 PM
What? SMART is designed to provide useful information about the drive - if SMART for example reports 500 reallocated sectors you know your drive is seriously going downhill fast.

Sure you could argue it only predicts failures 50% of the time but it's still not rubbish.

What do we define as prediction anyway? If the drive is considered failing by SMART if it had 1000 reallocations, yet it only has 800, SMART will not be 'tripped' however by looking at it with our own eyes we can clearly see there is a problem.

Seatools on the other hand doesn't seem to care about SMART much even for Seagate drives and certainly couldn't care less for any other brands.

That is why I gave up on Seatools a long time ago and only bother with Checking SMART directly with either Speedfan or HDAT2 and then if the drive should have a full test, doing that with HDAT2 as well.

So far I have not found a faulty drive that didn't look dodgy either to Speedfan's SMART analysis or had problems when scanned with HDAT2

Empathy.
27-06-2011, 03:11 PM
And yes as bot said, you don't deactivate, you just re-activate next time and if that doesn't work call Microsoft and tell them what happened and they'll fix it.

Yeah, Microsoft always seemed helpful, and good reviews, should be more than understanding of the situation.

Good luck :thumbs: