PDA

View Full Version : anti virus software

09-10-2001, 02:16 PM
I want to find out about istalling an anti virus software on the computer, I have ZoneAlarm FireWall but need virus protection. We had a trial run of EZTrust anti virus software but it has expired. The virus logo still come up on the screen, would I need to remove that before installing new anti virus software? Is the Norton anti virus protection available to purchase in NZ. I would like some info please and price in $NZ. I do not know a lot about computers.Thank you B.Akast

09-10-2001, 03:08 PM
I also have Zone alarm virus protection.When the free trial runs out go and and download it again.
If it won't let you ,set another web based E mail address and try again

09-10-2001, 03:18 PM
Hi Betty

I`m no expert either but I know that a number of Anti-virus programs will not install if another AV program is present on the computer. They are prone to conflicting with each other. Norton AV is available in NZ. Most computer stores will stock it. eg: Dick Smith Electronics, Noel Leeming Computerland etc. Cost anything from $120 up to $150 depending on where you get it.
Note: A 30 day trial version of Norton AV is on the NZ PC World cover disk, October 2001. If you buy a copy make sure you buy version 2002. Don`t let some-one stick you with the old version 2001. Finally, a very good free AV program is AVG anti-virus available to download from www.grisoft.com.
Good Luck.
Neil

09-10-2001, 04:48 PM
ROss, zone alarm is not a virus program but a firewall

09-10-2001, 05:30 PM
I would have to recommend norton antivirus, even better - norton utilities, although I only have the old version (2001) which is incompatible with windowsXP I found it stable, secure, and easy to use.

09-10-2001, 08:51 PM
I have used AVG Anti Virus 6.0 Free Edition for about three years until I purchased their Pro Edition recently. I found the Free Edition very good It stopped two virus attacks in my email. They will send you a notice of free upgrade if you choose that. www.grisoft.com will find them. I also use Zone Alarm. Regards from Gisborne NZ

09-10-2001, 09:42 PM
You could use online virus checkers they are good, but they only stop them once you already have been infected(who knows what problems it has given you).

11-10-2001, 02:05 PM
I use norton system works 2001 and zone alarm pro a firewall, and its great keeps the PC going nice and smoothly contact me if you need any advice or help with your PC,

13-10-2001, 02:30 AM
I have been trying several firewalls lately and have come down to 2. The first is zonealarm, the other is the norton personel firewall. They both work just as well but I have decided to go with the norton firewall because it is integrated with a package called Norton Internet Security. This includes norton anti virus and some other handy features. With your anti virus it is vital that you keep it as up to date as possible. New or custom built viruses or trojans can slip past if the program does not know what to look for. I suggest that you go to the norton site, have a good look around there. They have a full security and virus check facility and you can download free 30 day trial packages of their products...nothing like free.Their site is at www.symantec.com. My anti virus has stopped the nimda and loveletter viruses and the firewall has blocked about 100 trojan scans, I've only had a computer for 4 weeks now!!