PDA

View Full Version : netbook or tablet

globe
24-06-2011, 08:46 PM
which would you recommend ? To be used for something to surf the web and watch the odd tv on demand in the lounge/bed etc.

Recommendations/comments most welcomed :)

Nomad
24-06-2011, 08:56 PM
i say a tablet, for consuming.

also that if you travel via car, bus, plane, there may not be enough room to use the netbook properly esp when the person in front leans their chair back.

the keyb may also be small for some people esp if you learnt to touch type.

CliveM
25-06-2011, 09:08 AM
+1 for tablet

globe
25-06-2011, 09:45 AM
let me add this to the mix, that i forgot to mention earlier. The other thing that I want to be able to do is take it with me when i go travelling so I can surf the web via wifi (as offered by most hotels these days) download photos and plan the next stage of the trip - booking trains etc.

Taking that into account also still the consensus is for tablet ? When I was overseas recently didn't see any of the travellers with a tablet all had netbooks and the very odd laptop (way too big and heavy to throw into a backpack).

mcginty
25-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Just got my first tablet. Very impressed, way better than a netbook for the tasks you describe.

gary67
25-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Netbook= closable lid to prevent screen damage, real keyboard, decent battery life

Tablet= lighter, thinner

Nomad
25-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Travellers prob have netbooks b/c they are cheaper and with photography you can download images onto the HD for backup (with its larger HD) and perhaps run software like Photoshop and Lightroom, Aperture etc.

In the past and maybe still, the pads are no that popular yet, previous the $$$ iPads were the only option.

Most hotels won't have free internet, that's been my experience. Hostels tend to be free, half the cheaper hotels yes but once you get to the proper 3* plus they are billed per MB/day. For NZ, most of them are not free incl YHA. BBH might be free I heard though. Occasionally you might be given a 50MB voucher at checkin via zenbu and some of the nicer places have them targetted for families (motels) and you might be asked to not download or view video.

smurf
25-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Whilst I have not owned a tablet, I do own a netbook and have travelled extensively overseas with it. I have found unobtrusive and convenient. A significant advantage to me was that as someone has previously mentioned, the lid closes and thus protects the screen against scratches. No problems were experienced with the varying voltages.

globe
25-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Most hotels won't have free internet, that's been my experience. Hostels tend to be free, half the cheaper hotels yes but once you get to the proper 3* plus they are billed per MB/day. For NZ, most of them are not free incl YHA. BBH might be free I heard though. Occasionally you might be given a 50MB voucher at checkin via zenbu and some of the nicer places have them targetted for families (motels) and you might be asked to not download or view video.

Interesting as 90% of the places I stayed in over the last 6 months in the US, India and Oz all had free wifi. Guess its a bit hit and miss dependent on where you stay really, but this will only change with time and improve one would expect.

Don't do hotels/hostels in NZ really so can't comment on that. Usually camp or rent batches, but there is always cafes in NZ where you can buy (or if you're really lucky included in the price of the coffee) get wifi.

Can tablets be hooked into a normal wall socket Internet outlet or are they all generally wifi ?

There seems to be some good deals on netbooks sub 500 at the moment

Agent_24
25-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I would rather have a netbook or small laptop...

It's going to be cheaper, probably faster, and has better support for things (like USB ports, Ethernet and Flash) unlike the iPad for example

Nomad
25-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah in my experience, the proper international hotels like 3* up are generally a add on via network cable or wifi, it's a service that will be added to your bill. The business centre is also chargeable.

Overseas, hostels and more travel friendly hotels have it free thou, not the business ones.

Haven't spend much time in the USA heard they have free wifi everywhere.