PDA

View Full Version : Can't use PCWorld CD

09-10-2001, 12:53 PM
I have trouble using this month's PCWorld CD.

I couldn't get it to start in AutoRun so holding down the Shift key when loading the CD I was able to see the contents of the CD in Windows Explorer.

I can get to the HTML files but when I try to install any program the CD just spins for a long time and the message saying downloading to X: drive never appears.

09-10-2001, 01:07 PM
You can 'download' the files from the CD by right clicking on the link and clicking 'Save target as...'. Alternatively you can run the files from the CD by browsing to them in windows explorer.

09-10-2001, 01:25 PM
When I've had this problem in the past I've usually been able to resolve it by opening Internet Explorer in 'off-line' mode before inserting the disk. Doesn't always work, in which case I contact PC World for a replacement.

09-10-2001, 04:26 PM
The problem may be because only one program can access the cd-rom drive at once. The autorun could be booting up and taking a while, whilst at the same time, you are trying to access other files and folders. With some cd-rom drives this can cause hassle, and extremely slowed down access.

Try waiting for autorun, or you may need to upgrade to a faster cd rom drive (this is what I did, as the programs I wanted to install never came up - the same as you are decribing; and it worked)

09-10-2001, 04:38 PM
Make sure you are trying to save to your hardrive(s), and not the cd-rom itself.
As this will result in an error.
If the posted methods don't work, you can always research the programs using the website, and then find the file and run it off the disk through explorer

11-10-2001, 05:12 PM
I also had this problem a little earlier - but I went to 'Add/Delete Programs' and selected IE5.5 but do not delete, choose Repair.

I did this for another reason, but since then the disk is working well (apart from some funny hyperlinks to incorrect files).