PDA

View Full Version : a little help from printing people??

symbian
24-06-2011, 01:43 PM
im trying to redo some advertising stuff for a family members business.

im using microsoft publisher and although im aware there are many better programs out there im simply using publisher because i know how to use it.

this family member wants to change an ad that she has run for the past three years .

the printing company has e-mailed the specs of the format etc to me they are as follows.

""The size of the advert is 63mm wide x 60mm deep and if possible, we would prefer to be supplied with a Press Ready PDF File.

The ad can be supplied in colour, either as an RGB File or CMYK File, with no bleed or trim marks."

is microsoft publisher capable of doing this? i know how to change the document size etc but the terms "press ready pdf file" and "bleed and trim marks" confuse me a bit.

are these settings even available in microsoft publisher?

thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2011, 01:50 PM
If you go to save as change it to PDF (if you use Office 07 SP2). You'll see the options. Dont know bout Office 2010 dont use it

Snorkbox
24-06-2011, 01:52 PM
So which version of Publisher are you using? 2007 and 2010 can save as a pdf.

symbian
24-06-2011, 01:54 PM
thanks for your quick reply

im using 2010 and having a look around yes i see the export to pdf options

thanks for making me use my eyes!
sorry

any ideas on this bleed and crop stuff?

Snorkbox
24-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Dont worry about that. Just size the image in Publisher.

symbian
24-06-2011, 02:03 PM
ok thanks ill get on with it and let ya know if i have any issues

thanks a lot guys i really do appreciate this forum
you guys are always a great help.

cheers

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2011, 02:03 PM
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-office_other/crop-marks-on-pdf-file-exported-from-publisher/4a82cad3-f37a-4aa0-b280-4b4dc25af6a8

The bleed option is under print options (once you save as PDF / click on change / print options). Dont ask what it means but the option is there

Select help thats why its there

Digby
24-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I had a similar problem with a Jpg.

In the end I had to pay a graphics artist to convert it to another format (i forget which nowk) so that I could take it to some printers.

My printer explained to me what bleed and trim marks are.
I forget now but they are very important for offset printers.

plod
24-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok, So bleed is if the image Bleeds to the edge of the page in the document, think of a solid bit of ink going to the edge of the page, if they want bleed at 3mm.
Trim marks are guides for the trimming of the paper. Both of these are not needed if are used on a page with other stuff.
I know nothing about publisher but sugest you export at the highest posible setting. Make sure fonts are imbedded into the PDF and 300dpi should be sufficient for most purposes.
Depending on what sort of printing method is used I suggest not converting from cmyk to rgb or other way round. Stay in the same format to the last step.
P.S
We receive print ready files all the time at work, 95% of the files are NOT print ready.

Sam Bos
26-06-2011, 09:07 PM
To make it into a pdf you can just print it to pdf. File>Print>select printer then choose the one that says Adobe PDF (Acrobat Distiller works too). If you don't have this installed as a 'Printer', I think you can download a PDF Printer Driver and install that (don't quote me on it though).

Once you do this it'll come up with a window prompting you to save as a PDF.