PDA

View Full Version : PC Random reboots...

minster
23-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi!
My main pc, built by CL about 12 months ago has started rebooting itself at random times.
This normally happens while pc is turned on but not being used but a couple of times now lately has just rebooted while I am using it.
It normally just switches itself off and then goes back into windows normally but after a couple of reboots I do have to select the Start normally option.
I believe there is records of what is happening in the event viewer or something like that but on looking I am lost as do not understand where to look or what to look for.
I am trying to discover if this is hardware or software related but as I have reformatted and installed everything since this started happening, I would be surprised if it's software related.
PC is an i5 with 8GB ram and a HL5700 GPU
HX650 PU
Running Win 7 HP 64 Bit
AV is MS Security Essentials
Updates and maintenance are both done regularly
Any advise would be appreciated Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Its probably crashing. Disable auto restart. Get bluescreenview, then run it. What does it say is the cause

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

minster
23-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Speedy,
Have downloaded bluescreen view and will run it on main pc tomorrow and let you know results.
One problem!
How do I disable auto restart :)

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Easier way reboot hold F8 down. Wait for the menu, select it. If the computer is with you now. I can see what made it crash. Get teamviewer, install it. Then send the ID and pw it gives you to me in a PM

minster
23-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Have disabled auto reboot in win 7 but have dual boot with XP Pro and when win 7 crashes the pc turns off and then goes into countdown mode where I need to selected OS to start.
Has crashed 3 times in last hour but on rebooting and running Bluescreenview there is nothing showing up in the report.
Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 10:08 PM
If you want me to check now get teamviewer then send the ID and pw to me in a PM. I'll see what event viewer says

minster
23-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Speedy,
You have a PM :)

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 10:38 PM
You still here?? Neither PW works. Is it on remote control?? Not VPN or file transfer?

minster
23-06-2011, 10:40 PM
somehow its changed itself!
sending you new one now:)

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 10:42 PM
k

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Looks like it's an event id: 41 kernel power stop error. Got him to update the bios. Since its nearly 2 yrs old! Is this a legit version of Win7???

Snorkbox
23-06-2011, 11:48 PM
My Win 7 was dated 14/07/2009 if it helps.

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2011, 11:52 PM
His was dec 2009 lol. It probably wont help if you get the same stop error

minster
24-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Looks like it's an event id: 41 kernel power stop error. Got him to update the bios. Since its nearly 2 yrs old! Is this a legit version of Win7???

Definitely a legit version of Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit Speedy unless of course Computer Lounge sells pirated copies which I don't believe for one minute lol

Have updated the bios as you suggested, reset what needed doing and so far PC is flying along happily.
Will give it a bit more time to see how things go before I start celebrating though?

Speedy!
Once again thank you very much for the time and expertise you gave me through using Teamviewer to diagnose my problem.
You are an asset to the computer world and deserve a medal mate:)

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Sweet.. :)

Yup thats the only (stop) error i could see in event viewer. (Besides that DNS error). I have no idea why there's no hosts file on your system. But, if you want it, just copy it from somewhere else / another computer

Yup, give it a few days / or a week. To see if its OK (it doesnt crash)

minster
08-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Well it's been a couple of weeks now and I'm happy to report no more problems with pc crashing so Speedy's diagnosis must have been spot on.
Would recommend anyone having problems to accept this form of help from Speedy (teamviewer)
Thank's again mate:)

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Sweet good to hear, its behaving :lol: :banana