PDA

View Full Version : Views on Manufacturer Recertified products

Boyd
23-06-2011, 05:43 PM
There are quite few laptops going on one ore more of those daily deal sites which are listed as "Manufacturer Recertified"

I happen to be in the market for one for dad, so can any one share any good or bad experiences with "Manufacturer Recertified" products??

While they look like a good deal I'm a little worried it will die early and be a problem for me to maintain.

Thanks.

wainuitech
23-06-2011, 06:28 PM
You have to be careful when purchasing like that.

One other forum, one person puts it very nicely
In theory it should be as good as new or at least as good as manufacturer specs new. In reality it could be customer returns that never saw the manufacturer or it could have been sent back to the manufacturer but they didn't do anything but send it back out. "Manufacturer Recertified" is supposed to mean the manufacturer has looked it over and repaired it as good as new but in reality that is not always the case.
At the end of the day, they have to have a warranty of some kind - It usually will be a lesser time than a brand new item.

Phil B
23-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Re manufactured means it's been fully checked over & anything that needed doing was done. It may have some slight evidence of being used. A brand new unit probably hasn't been tested to see if it even works, as only a few units from the production lines get tested & if they show no faults, they keep producing. In theory a re manufactured unit comes with the full manufacturers warranty & has been fully tested. They know that it's right before it goes out the door. I've had no problems with them (TV's etc)

Boyd
23-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Most i have seen advertise with half the warranty period of the new, which seems odd if they are so suer they are fine.

Phil B
23-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I've only bought if it's got the full warranty. Not interested otherwise. They want not far off the same money as new, so if they're not giving the warranty, go elsewhere

sahilcc7
23-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Bought some Sony headphones off 3deals nz and they came with double the normal warranty (2years). Good quality. The bad thing was , the packaging - it was horrible. It used sticky stuff to hold the headphones to the cardboard and was a pain to get off. There is still some cardboard on the headphones. It was covered in a plastic. (the type you get when you buy meat from supermarket)

:pf1mobmini:

Paul.Cov
24-06-2011, 12:09 AM
I had 'refurbished' Maxtor hard drives sent to me for a warranty exchange.
Now I realise the word Maxtor already says plenty... but these drives came straight out of their bags, and were immediately put through Maxtors own drive tests... and failed... every one of them failed. Again, and again, and again - till finally the good folks at BDT sent me a drive from a different manufacturer!

Do you really want a computer or component thats potentially had a year of use and abuse already?