PDA

View Full Version : Fan works, but computer stops after a while

09-10-2001, 01:32 PM
I recently replaced my hard drive, thinking that would solve a few problems.
It did, but now I have more.
The computer doesn't seem to like operating for more than a few hours - it runs out of memory, or has unrecoverable '0D' errors, or other blue screens of death. Nothing works until I switch it off for an hour or so. Then everything is fine. I thought the fan might be faulty, but it seems to be spinning OK.
Any ideas? My system is an old Pentium 133 Mhz with 32MB of EDO RAM running Windows 98 SE, a tricky old S3 video card and a new 20GB Seagate hard drive. (It ran a combination of an ancient 810MB Conner and a 20GB Quantum Fireball disk reasonably happily for a couple of months before I put the new one in. Then I dropped the machine and had to replace both disks.)
Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

09-10-2001, 01:54 PM
Which fan were you looking at? Sounds to me like your CPU may be overheating, so it may be worthwhile looking into replacing the CPU fan and adding a heatsink as well (should be able to get both, probably together, from Dick Smith).

09-10-2001, 10:03 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll look into it. I was definitely looking at the CPU fan, but after I posted my message, I was looking through some of the other postings and found one warning against suctioning your CPU fan with a vacuum cleaner, which I had done recently! AARRGH!
Actually, I'll be relieved if it turns out to be that, rather than something more expensive.
Off to Dick Smith's I go ...