PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Tale of PJ and a bench/table saw!

Maryann
22-06-2011, 10:42 PM
A warning to the Home Handyperson! 'PJ' is in hospital, after having a rather nasty accident yesterday, as he was attempting to cut some wood.

The piece of wood had a knot in it, and PJ pushed against it too hard...the wood shot through, and so did his thumb and index finger. When I rushed outside, PJ was on the point of collapse and when I looked at the damage, it was a toss-up which one of us would pass out first! St.John Ambulance guys were so great, as usual.

Due to 2 other drastic emergency operations at the hospital, it was 11 p.m before John went in to theatre, and 2.30 a.m when he went back up to the ward. The chief surgeon will examine the repairs tomorrow, and if things don't look good, John will have more surgery. Here's hoping that won't be necessary.

This morning, I SOLD both of PJ's electric saw's, to a friend, with PJ's permission. Even LOOKING at them made me feel ill. Thankfully, PJ is coping well at the moment.
Maryann

Snorkbox
22-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi Maryann,

So sorry to hear that and thanks for letting us know.

GameJunkie
22-06-2011, 10:56 PM
hope he recovers ok

CliveM
22-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Hope everything works out ok.

nofam
22-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Yikes!! Best wishes to to PJ and his extremities for a speedy recovery!! :eek:

Snorkbox
22-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Maryann,

I read this earlier today as it happened and was thinking of PJ because of it.

Self publishing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2006629/Thriller-writer-John-Locke-indie-author-sell-million-Kindle-eBooks.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

GameJunkie
22-06-2011, 11:25 PM
keep us updated

DeSade
22-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I hope hes out of hospital and on the mend soon.

Metla
22-06-2011, 11:38 PM
well, that turned my stomach.

I hope he is doing alright, That will be a horrible injury.

Let me know if you need anything, I'm not in Wanganui very often anymore but if you're in a jam I can help out.

CYaBro
22-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Hope he is OK! Not a nice injury.
A mate's dad did pretty much the exact same thing a few years ago, blood everywhere apparently! He lost a thumb and most of the index finger.

Jester
23-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Oh dear! I hope they can stich him back together, and you aren't too traumatised :(

Here's to a speedy recovery and best wishes..

Paul.Cov
23-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Yikes.
I cringe at the thought.
I don't get on well with saws. I have a long history of cutting myself with hand saws, so I'm especially timid with powered saws.

It's a fair bet it's his dominant hand as well.

Fingers crossed (no pun) for the surgery.
I've got an uncle who's fine after two close encounters with a chainsaw and still has full use of his hands.

And looking at the other side of the outcome - there's a hell of a lot of guys missing the tips of thumb and/or index fingers - I see it a lot here. A stub of a thumb can still do a lot of the function that the whole thumb does.

Wishin' PJ well.

Cato
23-06-2011, 01:37 AM
That's terrible.

Hope PJ will be well soon!

My grandfather lost 4 fingers to a saw... He always told me his hand would grow back. (I was 4) :(

Agent_24
23-06-2011, 02:17 AM
You both have my sympathies!

Pretty nasty thing to have happen...

gary67
23-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Hope PJ gets better soon, power saws are part of my job along with some other pretty hairy equipment that needs a lot of respect. I feel for you PJ having had a few close shaves over the years

pctek
23-06-2011, 09:12 AM
[B]'PJ' is in hospital, after having a rather nasty accident yesterday, as he was attempting to cut some wood.

The chief surgeon will examine the repairs tomorrow, and if things don't look good, John will have more surgery. Here's hoping that won't be necessary.

Sympathies. Surgeons are good though, end result might not be as bad as you think.

Neil McC
23-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Give him our best too MA.Tell him to stick to the pliers and screwdrivers!

Trev
23-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Reading that and eating Weet Bix at the same time don't go well together. Sorry to hear abot PJ Maryann. Hope for a speedy recovery.

coldot
23-06-2011, 10:10 AM
PJ - Very best wishes for a speedy recovery!
You're very lucky to have Maryann around to pick up the pieces!

Whenu
23-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Best wishes PJ

SolMiester
23-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Nasty business, I was always taught to push the wood to be cut through the saw with another piece of wood....

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Poor dude.

Hope this doesn't get his spirits down and he continues to be the "DIY" kinda guy :)

How is the piece of wood BTW?

inphinity
23-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Uh-oh, sorry to hear that :/ best wishes for a quick and full recovery!

Maryann
23-06-2011, 12:27 PM
THANKS SO MUCH, EVERYONE. Happy to say hospital just rang to say I can collect PJ, still in one piece, this afternoon. Arm in a splint, etc.

He will have a big grin when he sees the messages, with me doing the setting up of his lap top, (which was given by a Pressf1 member, of course.)

Next week should be interesting, as I now have a date for bowel surgery...next Tuesday all being well. Should all be over in a day, with me home to recuperate...should be!:(:) We will cope, with extra help from Social Services/whoever. There are weeks when we would make good 'Reality TV' fodder. ;)

Such is life...every day above ground is a good one. PJ will sign in later...he is right-handed and damaged the left, which was clever of him.

Thanks again,
Maryann

Whenu
23-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Bit of a drastic way of getting out of doing the dishes:D:D:D

Barnabas
23-06-2011, 12:36 PM
hope you recover quickly PJ....thoughts are with you.

B.

Snorkbox
23-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the update Maryann.

SP8's
23-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Glad to hear PJ is glued back together ... pity that he's going to milk it for everything he possibly can ... including "Sweetie, need to pee. Can you come unzip me and hold it straight" :D

Erayd
23-06-2011, 12:55 PM
All the best PJ - hope the recovery goes smoothly.

gary67
23-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the update Maryann. Hope your recovery goes as well as PJ's

Maryann
23-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi Chill/S... The piece of wood is rather cut up about it all;) Also splattered with red stuff.

Solmeister...wish someone had told PJ that!

coldot :) I didn't look! Just hosed down the concrete when I got home.

Everything is so very 'PC' now isn't it. John was asked if he would want to keep the bits, if an amputation down to the first joint was necessary. He was visibly 'knocked' by that, as just the thought of an amputation wasn't a good thought, right at that moment, outside the operating theatre. Bless the guy, he was so polite, and just said "No thank you".

TREV Never ever read a post with a heading like that before eating...never.

Neil McC He'll HAVE to...power saws taken away yesterday. Sold.

Gary67...as I said to John when the nurse was shaving his manly chest, "That's your 2nd close shave of the day today, honey" :thumbs:

Cato...grandad with a sense of humour. I once had to wear a small pad between my toes, and my daughter told my precious little grand daughter of 8 that I was growing an extra toe. Poor little child freaked out.
Those were the days.

Paul.Cov PJ can still cross the fingers of his right hand...gave me a laugh, even if you didn't mean a 'pun'.

METLA Hi Buddy-boy. Life will never get boring or mundane with PJ's antics, as you may have noticed.

Before I leave the house these days, I go through a bit of a list of things I just BEG him not to do. Example...knowing nothing about using a dryer, he set it for over 1 hour, just to AIR a few things. Hmmm. I smelt the sort-of-smouldering-smell as soon as I got back. NO COOKING until I get back, either. We won't 'go there.' 2 hours is the max I would leave him for.

Thanks again, all of you. No fingers were damaged in the writing of this post.

HI PJ, when you read this thread, my love. Nothing like a bit of a laugh on a chilly, wet winter's day. No...you just sit there! I'll do frozen chips for dinner to save you struggling to do the potatoes.

It's o.k about the dishes too. You may be able to do them with 1 hand. Anyone got a dishwasher they don't want? The electric model...not a 'PJ' type that can't be relied on.

Maryann

pctek
23-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Next week should be interesting, as I now have a date for bowel surgery...next Tuesday all being well.
Oh god! That's worse. A finger or two.....Hope you're OK, he timed that wrong didn't he, when he should be attending to you.

Did he really need to give up the tools? Just a bit more care in future, even I knew you push with other bits of wood and I don't use wood working tools much.

Gobe1
23-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Chill/S... Gary67...as I said to John when the nurse was shaving his manly chest, "That's your 2nd close shave of the day today, honey" :thumbs:Maryann

That is gold :) I just read this thread now, hope PJ is recovering
Gobe1

beetle
23-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow..........

hope all are coping as well as can be expected..........and yes sing out if you need help, i am a wanganui person and us pf1 people stick together and help when and where we can.......

take care,

oh pj what are we going to do with you?
Ma hope next week goes well..... there must be guardian angels watching over you and pj

beetle

wratterus
23-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Wow, that's horrible to hear Maryann! I hope PJ recovers quickly, thinking of you guys down here.

A mate of mine all but took his thumb off with a skil saw last year, It's a pretty nasty thing to see, let alone go through! The docs were able to re-attach the thumb, but without the knuckle. He can use it pretty well now, you wouldn't notice unless it was pointed out. I hope PJ's hand turns out even better. ;)

gary67
23-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Thankfully I have a strong stomach and am well used to the sight of blood, having been in the carpentry trade for over 25 years you do get to see some really nasty accidents. I'm sure PJ will manage just fine with one hand, luckily it's not his good hand

Jen
23-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Blimmin heck. :eek:

Hope PJ heals well and takes it easy for a while and your own 'op' goes well.

It is good to see you keep upbeat and retain your sense of humour too. :)

wainuitech
23-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Ouch -- had a few close calls myself over the years, and always scared the living crap out of me.

As everyone else has said pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Oh-- wait for the "Second hand jokes" :D

notechyet
23-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Also my best wishes to PJ and MA!
Brilliant machines when they work and when no one gets hurt.
Hoping of a good recovery for PJ!!

Poppa John
23-06-2011, 09:02 PM
thanks everybody. cannot do capitols with one hand.

sheesh, this is so embarrassing.

more detail tomorrow.

again...thanks for your goodwishes.

pj.

wainuitech
23-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Cant keep a good man ( and wife) down - :clap

coldot
27-06-2011, 09:30 AM
good to see you back again, pj.
i'm observing no capitals for a week to show sympathy with your plight!
and you have given me a stern reminder - when i had occasion to use my saw bench over the weekend i was being extra careful because of your exploit!

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome back :)

Richard
27-06-2011, 01:18 PM
My very best wishes for a speedy recovery, and full use of the damaged digits again. These accidents happen so fast and can be so traumatic, especially at our age. Hang in there, and do what Maryann says. No argument!! :thumbs:

Poppa John
27-06-2011, 02:13 PM
hi all.
will set the scene.
place...wanganui roman colliseum, main event
on the left is pj. armour..nil. weapon...piece of4x2.
on the right is a female gladiator. armour...steel& aluminiun. weapon..steel blade with jagged bits.

i lost the bout.

if you are squeemish, dont read any further.........

left hand.
split thumb down to first joint, end of thumb v shaped bone split 7 sticking out. wound cleaned, bone pinned together, stitched up.

index finger. same as thumb, plus broken bone bone across second nuckle. plus cut tendon. all pinned stitched.

middle finger. cut across back 7 cut tendon. stitched up.

next finger. just scratchd across the bak.

pinkie. not touched.

happened at 10am. ambulance at 10.10. hand wrapped, morphine, bp down to 100/70. a 7 e . needs surgery asap. after 3.30. more urgencies kept coming in. into theatre at11.30 out at 1.45. into recovery till 2.30 then back to ward. found out later that operating staff left at 4 am. note 7 equals and.
had to have trankiliser right wrist 7 local injections in left wrist. i am a bad risk for a general anasthetic. have a tendency to collapse a lung.

moral of this story iss...dont argue with a female. pj:thanks:D

Barnabas
27-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I believe the female in question ended up getting sold :)

Hope you are recovering well PJ...

B.

Bobh
27-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Sounds horrific. All the best for a speedy recovery PJ.

Poppa John
27-06-2011, 06:19 PM
saws sold the next day.

those times above...start at 11.30 pm and on into the following am. no sleep that night. cannot speak too highly of the staff and the care i recieved.

half an hour ago i was showered by a home help lady and now iam sitting here eating chippies a slurping a cup of tea . using this laptop given by a pf1-er i wont mention his name, but his namesake got nailed up on a x for dipping into the till, a long time ago.

needless to say, the painkillers are getting a hammering. hospital tomorrw to see the surgeon again. i hope he is satified with it and doesnt want a second go. pj

R.M.
27-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd missed all this (acutely sick husband, now recovering after surgery in Dunedin).

Poor you (both).

PJ - be more careful! You don't have that many digits... :(

MaryAnn - best wishes to you. Take care. :)

Paul.Cov
27-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Good to see your sense of humor is still intact.
If you want to look at this from a computer nerds point of view - you're still counting in a decimal base of 10.
If it was bad enough you'd be binary, or base 8, although with all that splitting of digits you were running a good chance of become haxadecimal instead!

Here's to a rapid improvement re the pain, and best wishes for your Mrs with her surgical adventures.

Jen
27-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Good to hear from you PJ and I hope your hand heals fast. Now don't go getting yourself into any more trouble you hear! :p