PDA

View Full Version : my sky to pc

clwsham
22-06-2011, 08:58 PM
hi,

how can you get videos from your My Sky HDi to your computer? if it helps we got it about 4 months ago, maybe less...

CYaBro
22-06-2011, 09:09 PM
There's not really an easy way, you could do it with a capture card in the PC but you won't get HD out of the MySky box using the standard RCA (yellow, red & white) connections.
There are HD capture cards but they aren't cheap and they also won't capture HD content that has HDCP enabled like the MySky box does.
The best way to do it would be to get a card reader and some DVB-S2 tuners and take the MySky box out of the equation and watch/record directly to your PC.

icow
22-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Isky?

:pf1mobmini:

Agent_24
23-06-2011, 02:26 AM
The best way to do it would be to get a card reader and some DVB-S2 tuners and take the MySky box out of the equation and watch/record directly to your PC.

How are you supposed to do that? I thought Sky was encrypted?

The Error Guy
23-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Use the card that has you account details and decryption keys in the DVB-S box?

dugimodo
23-06-2011, 10:54 AM
It's not intended for you to be able to transfer anything off the mysky device so there is no simple way.

Zippity
23-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Play the item on Mysky and capture it with a capture card in PC - works a treat :)

Assuming of course that you have connected Mysky to PC.

CYaBro
23-06-2011, 12:55 PM

You use a card reader, that connects to your PC via USB or serial port, and stick your legal/payed for Sky card in it.
You have a special piece of software on the PC that talks to the card to get the encryption key and pass it on to Windows Media Center.

Zippity
23-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't have my card plugged in to my video capture card.

In hindsight, I think the picture goes from the Mysky unit through my DVD player and then on to my PC :)

Agent_24
23-06-2011, 01:14 PM
You use a card reader, that connects to your PC via USB or serial port, and stick your legal/payed for Sky card in it.
You have a special piece of software on the PC that talks to the card to get the encryption key and pass it on to Windows Media Center.

Ohh.... right

When you said card reader I thought you meant SD card or something... not Sky card. :lol:

BBCmicro
23-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I've been copying T-box to PC since October. T-box is the Telstra equivalent of MySky

I use analogue transfer to a media player (PBR-500) which has component input (YPrPb). Then FTP to PC via Wifi. Some comments:

- standard definition can be very good. The quality of the recording is mainly dependent on the quality of the broadcast picture. It's not essential to record in HD

- recording with s-Video might be quite good too but I haven't tried it. Comment is based on how the original broadcast quality tends to swamp things. And also on the fact that s-Video preserves bandwidth (resolution)

- recording with A/V composite (the yellow RCA) might be disappointing. The luminance signal has a notch where the colour is added - a direct hit on resolution

- I haven't tried composite capture but it should be a lot better than standard video tape. At the very least you get stereo. And there are no tape artefacts

- capturing to a card in the PC (or a USB capture stick) is operationally messy. Ideally you need a hardware device near the TV and a remote control

- because T-box/MySky records everything to its hard drive while you are viewing it (even if you are not deliberately recording), if you see something on the news you want to capture, just backup to the start of the item, hit record on your capture device, and start playing - and you've got a permanent record of the news item. T-box/MySky doesn't have the ability to transfer this on-the-fly recording to itself, so you can't "record" on-the-fly recordings - you need a separate capture box