PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up

09-10-2001, 01:08 PM
I recently 'uninstalled' several unwanted software items via the uninstall feature. Since then, when I start up my computer, after the initial checks, it stops at C:\Progrm~1\Cyberm~1\cyberkrn.vxs with the comment press any key to resume. After pressing any key it launches into Windows as previously. I understand the problem but do not know how to resolve it.....Help?? Many thanks for previous help.

09-10-2001, 01:22 PM
Despite uninstalling the program it has still left references in windows system files.

Places to check are:

config.sys - this is located in the root directory of the hard drive and can be edited using notepad (place 'rem' at beginning of line to prevent execution)

Windows startup - check the startup folder (Start / Programs / Startup) Try MSConfig (Start / Run / type msconfig), uncheck any references on the startup tab.

Registry - (Start / Run / Regedit) To a search for cyberkrn.vxs, deleteing any references after making a backup. Alternativley you may wish to try a registry cleaner such as RegClean.

14-10-2001, 02:14 PM
You can also try Norton utilities...this can fix all sorts of evils that you don't even know exist. You can download a 30 day trial from www.symantec.com. Just remember to always let norton choose the best fix. I also found that when I explored my program files there were the programs I had deleted (supposedly). A quick trip to the recycle bin soon fixed that and a run through the search mode found the remaining bits...Utilities fixed the rest.