PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 hosts file

QW.
21-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Where do I find the hosts file in windows 7?

wainuitech
21-06-2011, 09:02 PM
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

dpDesignz
21-06-2011, 11:41 PM
if you want to edit it, make sure you run as administrator

QW.
22-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I edit the hosts file, when it comes to saving it I need admin permission. It asks me if I want to save in the My Documents folder.

johnd
22-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes - you will need administrator privileges to put it back into C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ . It will not do it's job in My Docs.

QW.
22-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes - you will need administrator privileges to put it back into C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ . It will not do it's job in My Docs.

I open the hosts files from the location you mention. Won't let me save the hosts file to the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Kill UAC reboot then try again

Snorkbox
22-06-2011, 09:56 PM
It may well be that the host file is read only perhaps.

wainuitech
22-06-2011, 10:12 PM
you need to open Notepad as administrator.

Click start, type in notepad, when it appears right click it, run as administrator.

If the option is not there to run as admin, then open it normally,close it with out doing anything else.

Click start and notepad should be in the recently opened list above the start button, right click notepad, run as administrator.

Once open, click File/Open - navigate to the host file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ select the host file, now you can alter it to how you want, and when you save it, it should save OK.

Edited: If you cant see the host file in the ETC folder, change the text doc button to "all files" ( see attachment)

QW.
24-06-2011, 03:19 PM
you need to open Notepad as administrator.

Click start, type in notepad, when it appears right click it, run as administrator.

If the option is not there to run as admin, then open it normally,close it with out doing anything else.

Click start and notepad should be in the recently opened list above the start button, right click notepad, run as administrator.

Once open, click File/Open - navigate to the host file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ select the host file, now you can alter it to how you want, and when you save it, it should save OK.

Edited: If you cant see the host file in the ETC folder, change the text doc button to "all files" ( see attachment)

Thanks wainuitech for your help:thumbs:. Can block as many websites as I like now.