PDA

View Full Version : Print Spooler stopping

berryb
21-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Win 7 HP 32 bit. Print spooler starts then stops. I have removed all printers and drivers. Deleted all in windows\system32\spool\drivers. Have powered PC and printer completely off and on.

After doing the above the spooler starts and runs OK now until I go into devices and printers then it stops.

Service dependencies seems OK and running.

No restore point going back far enough to try restore.

Ideas before I wipe the thing?

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Did you uninstall the drivers first?? Then install them (with the printer off, till the install tells you when to connect / turn it on).

Looks like that service can stuff up if the previous / or current drivers are corrupt

Barnabas
21-06-2011, 05:32 PM
you dont have a hp 1020 printer per chance do you?

berryb
21-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Canon MX700.

Printer was uninstalled before manually deletling the driver. Can't install any printer now and the print spooler stops and needs to be running for printers to install.

I have been on Google and not found a fix yet.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2011, 06:22 PM
I would reformat it. Saves mucking around

wainuitech
21-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Have you got IE9 installed ??

Several other forums other people all have the same issue, several also have the solution that worked for some.

Try this-- Open IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, reset -- by reseting IE, the print spooler didn't stop afterwards -- some "bug" in IE9 (was found after un -installing IE9 back to IE8)

Worth a try.

Another one that works sometimes -- From MS forum:

Go to "Adminitrative tools" in Control Panel and then to "Print Management". Check under drivers and remove all duplicate drivers. If you are unable to remove a driver check to see that no print jobs are waiting to execute and remove them. Restart the spooler service under Sevices.

Just checked mine and found a couple of old drivers from printers that were uninstalled over a year ago :eek:

Edited: one other thing I just came across - click start, type in or copy this into the search box

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

Open the folder - look for one called "appcrash spoolsv " Could be a file with report.wer Open it with Notepad, look to see what it says, normally there will be a error, and tell you whats crashing (if anything) or post it back here if its not pages long :)

wainuitech
21-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Add to above as well -- Several other options to try (http://www.sysprobs.com/print-spooler-stopping-automatically-fix) :)

What you can also look at, click start, type in reli open Reliability history - look for errors at the printer spooler, there are often causes or sometimes "check for solution" options /suggestions.

berryb
21-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks wainuitech.
It was running IE8 with the error and thought I had nothing to loose so updated to SP 1 that has updated to IE 9 with same error. I have tried the IE reset before and after the update.

Think I've found the problem though. No Print Management in Admin Tools or printmanagement.msc file in the system32 folder. Looks like I might have to either format and reinstall or do a repair upgrade which is much the same.

berryb
21-06-2011, 08:57 PM
OK got it sorted. Went into control panel / programs and features / turn windows features on and off. Unticked all the print and document features and applied, restarted and went back and re ticked, applied and restarted.

Can now add a printer and the print spooler is still running.

Still have no printmanagement.msc but appears as though this is not unsual for Win 7 HP. Some seem to have it and others do not. Win 7 64bit Enterprise does.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I dont think Win 7 HP has it. That's why you cant find it. Pro and Ult have it too I think

wainuitech
21-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I dont think Win 7 HP has it. That's why you cant find it. Pro and Ult have it too I think

The full version of print manager is on pro and Ultimate.

FYI

There is a simple version on W7 Home Pre, it still allows you to check and remove unwanted drivers.

Click start/Devices and Printers, highlight your printer - in the tool bar along the top click on "print Server Properties" then click on the drivers Tab, it will list all the printer drivers in the system and allow you to remove what you want.

See attachment, its from a Home Pre :thumbs:

berryb
21-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I've been looking for that!! thanks :)