PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Drives

Lurking
21-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Previous posting Closed.

Here was a strange thing that happened while copying files over from a 98se machine to an xp one, needless to say the files were lost, both C: and G: the backup hdd, as one thinks thumb drives are reliable, lol.

A 2 gig stick ADATA which was supposed to be reliable too.

Have learn't my lesson on this one.

Lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2011, 04:19 PM
So how big is this thing you posted? Since it looks like one file is 4 GB?. I take it this is formatted in FAT32?

Lurking
21-06-2011, 05:23 PM
So how big is this thing you posted? Since it looks like one file is 4 GB?. I take it this is formatted in FAT32?

Speedy, it was a learning curve !.

Fat32 is correct.

Looked like it collected a virus, so had to format it to get back to square one and it's ok now.

The files could not have been important, probably grand kids photos and there would have be plenty of those around.

Lurking.

Ps. could not find the post where someone had the same problem, fairly recent too.

lurks.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2011, 05:34 PM
What same prob? Being infected by a virus / worm? It was probably an autorun worm. Scan the system with something.

22-06-2011, 01:52 PM
copy & paste is too damn unreliable, if you have alot of files or are backing up, transfering.
If there is just 1 file it cant copy , it may then just stop without warning, giving the impression all files were copied.

Use a file manager or some sort of sync program.
Terracopy is also very good for this. It will warn if there are issues with the copy & just keep going.

Thumb drives are not reliable enough to use as a medium for backups.

Lurking
22-06-2011, 04:40 PM
What same prob? Being infected by a virus / worm? It was probably an autorun worm. Scan the system with something.

Speedy, if only I could dig out the other person's post from the archives !.

Lurking.

Lurking
22-06-2011, 04:54 PM
copy & paste is too damn unreliable, if you have alot of files or are backing up, transfering.
If there is just 1 file it cant copy , it may then just stop without warning, giving the impression all files were copied.

Use a file manager or some sort of sync program.
Terracopy is also very good for this. It will warn if there are issues with the copy & just keep going.

Thumb drives are not reliable enough to use as a medium for backups.

1101 learn t my lesson on copy/paste.

A 2gig stick showing a file with 4 gig on it in the earlier attachment.

Use SyncBack as a backup utility. Might try Terracopy as well.

A thumb drive is handy to cart about around ones neck, when someone might want a copy of something.

Thanks,

Lurking.

Agent_24
23-06-2011, 01:28 AM
I like to use SuperCopier2

linw
23-06-2011, 09:20 AM
After reading about PJ, this topic header made me cringe!!

Agent_24
23-06-2011, 12:20 PM
That's just... horrible.