PDA

View Full Version : Sigh! Back to my Print-Screen problem, or lack thereof....

Billy T
20-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Still having no luck with the new comp, so I fired up the old girl (and noted she had a dose of the screen shivers again, they come and go, I think it is digital malaria) opened that copy of the DOS instrument program from which I need to extract screens, and CTRL-Print Screen followed by CTRL-V dumps the complete window image into Irfanview or Paint no problems at all.

Switch back to the new comp (Win XP-Pro), repeat the process and all I get is a blank screen. If I repeat the attempt I can see the number of 'screens' incrementing at the top left of the Irfanview window but that is all. Paint doesn't work either so I'm left with the idea that whatever program/utility manages this service is on the fritz.

I have to get a series of screens printed as soon as possible, so in the absence of any ideas (I'll try any suggestions), is there a reliable screen grabber that anybody can recommend? I did try one a couple of years back that promised marvellous things but that had some sort of growing pains and didn't work too good at all.

I'm at a bit of a loss to think of where to look next!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :badpc: :help:

SP8's
20-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Have you tried using MS Word or possibly Wordpad to "dump" the pages onto ... I'm not using Win7, however, do have problems with Paint but get around it by using Word.

wainuitech
20-06-2011, 07:27 PM
theres a mountain of free capture software about.

One that I have seen others use a lot is Faststone Capture (http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/mmedia/FastStoneCapture.html).

Personally I use Ashampoo Magical Snap 3.

CYaBro
20-06-2011, 09:05 PM
You haven't by chance got a Microsoft keyboard with the Function Lock key on it?

:pf1mobmini:

Billy T
20-06-2011, 09:42 PM
theres a mountain of free capture software about. One that I have seen others use a lot is Faststone Capture (http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/mmedia/FastStoneCapture.html).

Personally I use Ashampoo Magical Snap 3.

I've just wandered fruitlessly through the 'compatibility woods', trying W95 (because it is running nicely on that in my Toshiba Libretto that I use for on-site instrument management) and it also worked fine on W98 and W2K but compatibility is only an issue with W2K, but I'm not 100% sure that it is confined to just this legacy program.

I think my best bet is to use an independent program, and would I be right in thinking you prefer Ashampoo for some good technical reason, or is it simply case of 'six of one, half dozen of the other"?

I already had print screen issues outside of this particular usage so I need to either fix it or abandon it completely.

One last thought, does anybody know what program or routine the prinscreen key calls? I read one web solution where it was the Keyboard drivers at fault, but I've no idea how you find drivers for a keyboard, and I am using an ancient PC Direct keyboard because the feel of the keys suits my typing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
20-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I think my best bet is to use an independent program, and would I be right in thinking you prefer Ashampoo for some good technical reason, or is it simply case of 'six of one, half dozen of the other"?
The "technical" ;) reason was it was free :) Tried various software Some works fine others don't, I liked it, and it has LOTS of options.

A lot of the magazines give away Ashampoo software as free programs. They often give away the previous versions.
So when version 3 came out, some of the magazines gave away version 2 etc. You would normally have to register to get the key, but its all the same key no matter who registers and how many times.

Not all of the Ashampoo software works well, BUT the two I alway s use is Snap, and their burning software.
Edited: the

Magic Snap has a free early version Download from here (https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0124/Offline/Ashampoo-Magical-Snap)

If you want version 2 that came on some of the magazines I have uploaded it to This site (http://www.box.net/shared/uhoxaz4zsj4tyoapyotx) - includes app and key

Edit; FYI ---The Snap 3 screen shots (https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0324/Multimedia_Software/Ashampoo-Snap-3) are close to what the earlier 2 version is. Version 3 ( what I have) has a few more features.

Jen
20-06-2011, 10:48 PM
... and CTRL-Print Screen followed by CTRL-V dumps the complete window image into Irfanview or Paint no problems at all.What happens if you use ALT-PrtScn or just PrtScn by itself?

I already had print screen issues outside of this particular usage so I need to either fix it or abandon it completely.
Can you copy a large amount of text from one document to another? This is to test whether the Windows XP Clipboard has lost the plot.

Billy T
20-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, I tried Faststone capture (portable version) and got nowhere. Fifty pages of manual and more options than you could shake a stick at, but the bottom line is this: It would capture a Windows screen, but a full screen Dos image went nowhere and I can't make the instrument program operate in a DOS screen within a Window at a size and aspect ratio that is workable.

I don't think this is an issue related to that instrument program either, because I can't always capture Windows screens if they are showing pasted content and it has been 100% reliable through from Dos 6, W3.11, 95, 98 right up to W2K.

Compatibility mode (W95) ballsed up the whole screen with giant icons etc and it took a reboot to clear it because the start button was about 10cm below the bottom of my screen and the three-fingered salute option didn't appear on the visible screen either!

I'm still open to advice and ideas, but in the meantime I'll just have to work with Win2K on the old box. I'd take it back to DOS Box but I'm picking I wouldn't be able to do a screen capture from that either.

My only consolation is that it would never work on a Mac at all!

Is there any simple screen capture program out there without all the bells and whistles and a 50 page manual that will capure a full screen DOS image?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :dogeye:

Billy T
20-06-2011, 11:10 PM
What happens if you use ALT-PrtScn or just PrtScn by itself? Can you copy a large amount of text from one document to another? This is to test whether the Windows XP Clipboard has lost the plot.

Sorry Jen, missed this.

Yes, infuriatingly I can copy text no problems, and I just test-copied this Window with a simple Print Screen as well.

In W95 on the Libretto, and with a full screen Dos display, pressing PrtSc makes the screen blink and yep, it captures and copies into Paint etc.

Something is screwy in XP I think. It seems like it can only see windows data and if you are running a full Dos screen perhaps there is nothing for it to hook, but I've had other problems with Windows images though.

I'm going to call it quits for tonight and try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
20-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Screen capture for DOS (http://www.activewin.com/tips/dos_tips_13.shtml) --------- you have to rememebr DOS is so old that there are very few modern programs about for it these days.

IF you are trying in XP, then have a read of the Last Comment here (http://superuser.com/questions/153458/screen-capture-in-dos) - may be the way you are doing it - :2cents:

Billy T
21-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Screen capture for DOS (http://www.activewin.com/tips/dos_tips_13.shtml) --------- you have to remember DOS is so old that there are very few modern programs about for it these days.

Believe me, I never lose sight of the antiquity of this software and the problems it gives me. I also have two Swedish instruments that cost me around $25,000 the pair and they refuse to update their software. It won't run at all in W2K so it looks like I'm heading for virtual machines for that one.

If you are trying in XP, then have a read of the Last Comment here (http://superuser.com/questions/153458/screen-capture-in-dos) - may be the way you are doing it - :2cents: I'll take a look at this thanks.

To reiterate, this is a DOS program running full screen in Windows, and screen capture was no problem in any previous Windows version.

The current program is a pain in the butt, but is vital to my work and there is no prospect of a workable Windows version. They made a V1.0 for WFWG 3.11 but it was buggy as hell and the screen images were somewhat short of the required professional standard. When I enquired about getting an update, V1.1 was not on the drawing board, or even in their forward planning. The DOS version is clean and elegant.

AShampoo looked very promising and even made the right capture "camera shutter" noise, but still produced a blank screen:mad: . The top and left orange bars don't appear on the Dos screen and so far I haven't been able to make the instrument program run in a usable size or aspect ratio within a Window. If I could do that my problems would be solved.

The ongoing assistance is very much appreciated thanks.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
21-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Problem solved, in a round-about way.

It has now become quite clear that print-screen from a full screen DOS window is never going to work because of fundamental differences between XP and all previous Windows versions.

I have found a couple of programs that claim to be able to add this functionality to XP (and subsequent Windows versions) but reading further suggests that they are flaky, so on that basis I will do all the preliminary work (annotations and other mods) on my main comp where I can see what I am doing, then transfer the files to my Libretto which runs W95, grab the screens then export the images back to the main comp. The latter is a very small job that only needs to be done once at the end of the project.

Thanks to wainuitech for the pointer that opened up a path to the final answer, and thanks to the rest of you for your advice along the way.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

(And I'll get a virtual machine running later so that I can do it all in one computer.)

Snorkbox
21-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Pleased to hear it Billy T.

I was about to suggest that you get a cheap box on tradme and just run DOS on it. :)

I still have my MSDOS 6.23 floppies here I would donate to the cause.

Billy T
21-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the offer Snorkbox, however by good fortune (and a reluctance to discard) I'm not short of PCs to play with, I have the Win95 Toshiba Libretto, a W2K Portege and my old W2K box as well so I've got the hardware. In terms of software, I have Dos 6.11, WFWG3.11, W95, W98, W98ME (yech, never used) W2K and XP-Pro plus MS Virtual Machine so all I need is the time to play, and that I lack in spades!

I can now progress via work-arounds and that will get this job out of the way. It is for an educational institution and their need is urgent.

Incidentally I have never hearsd of Dos 6.23, I always thought Dos died the development death at 6.11. Any idea what features X.23 added or what bugs were fixed?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Snorkbox
21-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Snorkbox, however by good fortune (and a reluctance to discard) I'm not short of PCs to play with, I have the Win95 Toshiba Libretto, a W2K Portege and my old W2K box as well so I've got the hardware. In terms of software, I have Dos 6.11, WFWG3.11, W95, W98, W98ME (yech, never used) W2K and XP-Pro plus MS Virtual Machine so all I need is the time to play, and that I lack in spades!

I can now progress via work-arounds and that will get this job out of the way. It is for an educational institution and their need is urgent.

Incidentally I have never hearsd of Dos 6.23, I always thought Dos died the development death at 6.11. Any idea what features X.23 added or what bugs were fixed?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

DOS 6.23 was a free patch and as it was some time back I have no idea what it fixed.

But good luck to you anyway.

Just looked and my floppies are 6.22.

http://www.computing.net/answers/dos/msdos-623/14640.html