PDA

View Full Version : Orcon Internet Timeout issue

Cellux
18-06-2011, 06:58 PM
This is my daily struggle after 9pm.
http://localhostr.com/file/Rm3EMaG/daily%20orcon.png
It's been happening every night for the past 2 months.

All calls to Orcon leave both them and I confused.

The diagnostic tool they sent me to use, never even hints to the problem from the data recorded.
Runs for around 5 minutes to do the whole diagnostic, the last couple of tests it does are the ones that will point to the reason behind any problem. Each of these tests last around 5 seconds each and I've missed the small amount of time that the connection times out every time I run it (over the past 40 times it's been run).

Each time it pings out, MSN and IRC disconnect and any downloads pause momentarily.
Pinging my broadband router gets a <1ms/1ms ping constantly with no time-outs or anything. http://localhostr.com/file/euckUM0/daily%20orcon2.png Both of these were done at exactly the same time.

It still does it after disconnecting every other computer from the network.

I do not have any viruses. Tested with Combofix, Malware Bytes, Spybot: Search and Destory, Super Anti-spyware.
I've looked through Hijack This and there are no programs running suspiciously that could even spring into the issue.
I've completely removed all anti-virus software and completely disabled and removed all firewalls.

Just to top it off, I replaced my broadband modem with the same issue.

It's frustrating to no end.

My question is, do you know what I can test to try and find the route of this problem?
Or am I switching ISPs?

P.s. This is from someone that gives them 130/month for bandwidth usage.

Cellux
18-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Sorry, after 6 pm*

Not 9 pm.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I would have left by now

Nomad
18-06-2011, 11:49 PM
9pm yes but ok as i was watching lightrning mcqueen :D

maybe 6pm too i think. my modem still had both green lights. thought was my router ..

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2011, 04:08 PM
A few things:
1) That looks more like packet loss than anything else
2) Check your router, what's your Sync Speed, and your Attenuation / Noise Ratio / SNR / similar stats
3) What happens if you're pinging somewhere else thats local as well, such as orcon.net.nz at the same time?
4) What Router make / model?
5) Do you have Interleaving on or off?

8ftmetalhaed
20-06-2011, 12:51 AM
May or may not be related, but I've noticed I occasionally get this in my router's log. Last time I got kicked off the internet as a result, as I did just now. Took a while to lose PPP sync, never lost ADSL sync.

Some days I lose my PPP every few hours, other days it's fine. This kind of harkens back to what I had with vodafone and the like, but the difference is now I have a $180 router.
So what the hell?

Anyway yes, the error:
2011/06/20 00:41:13 user alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_0_100_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=122.224.97.50 DST=60.234.226.79 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=31047 PROTO=TCP SPT=49280 DPT=22 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Any ideas, perhaps from chilling?

(and yes I'm on orcon too)

Chilling_Silence
20-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Nah that's the router just blocking packets you haven't asked for. Happens all the time. Fire up a P2P app for a bit like bittorrent then kill it in a hurry and you'll see you'll possibly get quite a few like that.

Post the same things that I asked Cellux for from your router and we'll go from there

Cellux
21-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll be able to post all information when I get home later this avo.

Gobe1
22-06-2011, 01:40 PM
How did you get on Cellux?
We are with orcon and lately we have been getting pauses like you are browsing and then pageloading for a minute or two then it comes right.

I thought it might be our firewall as i have had that moved recently to a virtual device but maybe it is orcon

here is my trademe ping timeout

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2011, 02:00 PM
That's odd, local traffic latency blows according to those pings.
Post those same details Gobe1 that I've asked from Cellux, from your router?

Gobe1
22-06-2011, 02:31 PM
That's odd, local traffic latency blows according to those pings.
Post those same details Gobe1 that I've asked from Cellux, from your router?

Sure Chill here ya go
Cheers Gobe1

EDIT: Chorus are still working on our street ever since we have been up graded to adsl2, been there for about 1.5 months

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Wow those are nice stats!

OK so here's what I'd do:
Three ping windows
1) orcon.net.nz
2) trademe.co.nz
3) ausgamers.com.au

Line the three of them up ready, then just push [Enter] and click the next one, [Enter] and click the last one, then [Enter] again. That way the pings should *semi* line up if you're quick. Post the results after you see it's been dropping packets and see if they line up or not.

Gobe1
23-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi Chill
Here it is, they all stop at the same time
Wonder how Cellux is getting on?? sorry to hijack his thread...:xmouth:

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2011, 01:28 PM
That's perfect!

OK so from what we can see there, you're losing packets to the outside world everywhere at the same time.

I would be inclined to try another router, if you're able to get your hands on one semi-easily?

At the very least, you've now got some interesting information to take to your ISP...

Gobe1
23-06-2011, 02:27 PM
That's perfect!

OK so from what we can see there, you're losing packets to the outside world everywhere at the same time.

I would be inclined to try another router, if you're able to get your hands on one semi-easily?

At the very least, you've now got some interesting information to take to your ISP...

Thanks Chill
I had our local Email server builder take a look at the firewall (he built it) and he blocked a 192.168.0.73 which was uploading to https @ 250k/s I cant find out who it is without going all round the office and checking IP's but he said it is saturating the upload, now pings have come down from the 100's to ~20.
Looks like it has fixed the problem for now.....
Now to find out who has the rogue .73.....and what is it uploading???

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Some good QoS goes a loooong way ;) I'm unsure of the QoS on the Drayteks (Was hesitant to suggest the Draytek was at fault coz they're usually so good), but I've been told it's reliable. Personally I opt for Tomato myself, coz it can be thrown on cheap ~$120 equipment and runs happily up to some insanely fast speed (Well over 20m/bit).

Could be time to look into the QoS on your router and throttle both HTTP and SMTP so it can't hammer your connection and saturate it?

Gobe1
23-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Some good QoS goes a loooong way ;) I'm unsure of the QoS on the Drayteks (Was hesitant to suggest the Draytek was at fault coz they're usually so good), but I've been told it's reliable. Personally I opt for Tomato myself, coz it can be thrown on cheap ~$120 equipment and runs happily up to some insanely fast speed (Well over 20m/bit).

Could be time to look into the QoS on your router and throttle both HTTP and SMTP so it can't hammer your connection and saturate it?

Ok cheers Chill, i will have a check up on that.

mzee
25-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I have exactly the same problems with Orcon on the North Shore.
Videos, FTP transfers etc are all stop start.
Apart from the fact that we are too far from the exchange (cabinet under construction), I can not find any fault.
Orcon are working on it!!

This is when its running well, which is not very often. Interleaving is on.

Download Speed: 4595 kbps (574.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 806 kbps (100.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 38 ms
Jitter: 1 ms

Cellux
25-06-2011, 09:11 PM
2) http://localhostr.com/file/LZKcBm7/adslstats.png
3) http://localhostr.com/file/RpjZygz/ping%20sites.png
4) Netcomm | NB8WVPN
5) Interleaving is on

Sorry for my late reply.