PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer loading on StartUp

09-10-2001, 12:28 AM
Whenever I start/restart my computer, it loads Windows Explorer on Startup. Didn't used to do this, but one day it just started. Running Windows ME.
Any suggestions how I can stop it?
Cheers

09-10-2001, 01:27 AM
Firstly, is your computer shutting down properly? If its not, and Windows Explorer was open at startup, then the next time you startup, then it'll open again, until you shutdown properly.

Secondly, Windows Explorer may have been added to startup somewhere, like in your startup folder or in the registry. Go to:
Start > Run > 'msconfig.exe'
and click on the 'Startup' tab, and see what programs are set to run automatically at startup, and if you find Explorer in there, it'll tell you where so you can try to delete it, or you can just uncheck it in there and restart.

09-10-2001, 01:42 AM
Open the win.ini file in C:\WINDOWS\. Then, if the line starting with Load= or Run= says C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe then delete it. If the StartUp folder in the Start Menu has explorer.exe in it, delete that.

09-10-2001, 07:58 PM
You might have Windows Task Scheduler running on startup(visible on system tray) and someone has configured it to run IE on startup.