PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

B.M.
16-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I’ve run Outlook Express 6 for years without a problem but all of a sudden after doing its “Folder Compaction Routine” the last 7 weeks of my E-Mails from my inbox has disappeared.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to recover them?

Google doesn’t fill me with hope, so if they are gone for good, what is the alternative to Outlook Express?

:thanks

16-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Google doesn’t fill me with hope, so if they are gone for good, what is the alternative to Outlook Express?

Youre asking the wrong question.
"what should I use to backup my email" is what you need to ask.

B.M.
16-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Well what is the answer?

jinja_thom
16-06-2011, 02:39 PM
A method I have used with various degrees of success is to first copy the folder that contains the email boxes, it's called Outlook Express to my documents or somewhere convenient. Then, and this is the risky bit, delete the original mail boxes or at least the one that has been corrupted and import the copied contents into the empty box.
This sort of corruption is usually in the links between individual messages and importing is the only way I know to rewrite those links.

wainuitech
16-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Outlook Express could have corrupted. Depending on how much mail you have, once it starts getting close to 2GB (total) its corruption time.

To check open the store folder - open OE, tools, Options maintenance Tab, Store folder, Copy the location - click start, click Run, paste in the location, press enter, there will be all your .dbx files, right click a blank part of the window/Properties -- Look at the amount used.

The emails will more than likely still be there, just need a program to recover them.

The big question is how important are the ones you have lost ??

LOTS of people think its the end of the world :crying , until they discover they have to purchase a program to recover items.

One that works well is outlook Express recovery toolbox (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/outlook_express.html) -- the trial allows you to see if it can recover your mails, then if you want them you have to pay to unlock it.

B.M.
17-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks Guys.

Just to update. The inbox must have been over 1Gig because at present, what remains, is 903 messages taking up 898megs.

The only messages missing are those between 26/4/11 and 16/6/11.

Unfortunately, neither DBXtract or Recovery Toolbox could find the missing messages. Naturally, they could both find the ones Outlook Express could already find and therefore weren’t missing. ;)

So the bottom line seems to be that Outlook Express has a long reputation for loosing your messages irrecoverably and Microsoft has done nothing about it whilst being fully aware of the problem.

Moving along, I get the impression from Google that Outlook doesn’t suffer from the same problem and is easier to backup. Can anyone confirm that or suggest a better Mail application?

Snorkbox
17-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I have used Outlook for some years now and it is easy to backup.

The backup application is here-

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9003

My current pst file is 1.4 Gb.

For pst file info look here:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

I don't think that pfbackup works in Outlook 2010 but you can simply copy the pst to another location and it will save everything including Mail, Contacts, Calendar etc.

B.M.
17-06-2011, 06:26 PM
I have used Outlook for some years now and it is easy to backup.

The backup application is here-

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9003

My current pst file is 1.4 Gb.

For pst file info look here:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

I don't think that pfbackup works in Outlook 2010 but you can simply copy the pst to another location and it will save everything including Mail, Contacts, Calendar etc.

Thanks for that. :thumbs:

Renegade
17-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks Guys.

Just to update. The inbox must have been over 1Gig because at present, what remains, is 903 messages taking up 898megs.

It will completely pack a sad if it hits 2gb, giving some cryptic error message.

B.M.
17-06-2011, 08:58 PM
It will completely pack a sad if it hits 2gb, giving some cryptic error message.

Thanks Renegade. :thumbs:

Yeah, I think this packed a sad well before 2gigs, but none the less, it must be a programming fault just to dump your data, no questions asked. :eek:

The problem is, I don’t know what messages are lost because “Compaction” took over before I could read them. I guess those that sent them will get back to me if it’s important? :rolleyes:

Time to return to Morse code, Semaphore and Smoke Signals. :crying

linw
18-06-2011, 10:35 AM
But with Morse code, Semaphore and Smoke Signals you won't be able to save any of them. I thought losing communications was the problem.

Outlook will cost unless you already have it as part of MSOffice. And MS has done something about OE - they have dumped it!

Thunderbird is free.

johcar
18-06-2011, 11:32 AM
As is a Gmail account - well over 7GB of online storage, so you'll never lose an email again, unless you choose to delete it. You don't even need an email client if you don't want one. But if you do, then Thunderbird is a pretty good free one...

:pf1mobmini:

gary67
18-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I use Outlook with Gmail as I want my own copy of the emails I save, I also keep them on Google's server as a backup. I wouldn't just use them without my own copy though and I back up my outlook to a server here at home

johcar
18-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Ditto. Always nice to have an offline copy of emails...

:pf1mobmini:

Snorkbox
18-06-2011, 12:16 PM
I also use Gmail and forward to my ISP where I pick up the mail using Outlook.

PFBackup reminds me to backup the PST file to another drive on a daily basis.

gary67
18-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't use my ISP email I just download straight from gmail to outlook, can't see the point for that extra step in the system

Snorkbox
18-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I forward the Gmail to my ISP automatically so no extra step required. Considering I also get mail sent to my ISP addy as well as Gmail.

B.M.
18-06-2011, 06:11 PM
For what it’s worth I’ve taken a slightly different approach.

As my ISP provides me with a 1gig Mailbox I have simply activated the “Leave Copy On Server” facility in OE and that should cover me.

It will also make it easy for me to access already opened mail whilst overseas with only my laptop.

I think my ISP notify once the Mailbox reaches 80% so "I THINK" I’ve now got all bases covered. :rolleyes:

johcar
18-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Assuming that 1GB is enough, taking into account your age, expected life-span and your popularity amongst friends and family and/or the number of mailing lists you subscribe to...

My Gmail account has been running since 2000 (IIRC) - I rarely delete anything and I'm up to "1998 MB (26 %) of [my] 7595 MB".

So I guess 10-odd years takes me to 25% - at that rate I will take another 30 years to fill my Gmail account to capacity.

Trouble is I'll only be 80-ish (still a spring chicken!!) - so I'll probably have to delete a few GBs so the account lasts me until I shuffle off... :)

gary67
18-06-2011, 08:14 PM
My word what do you all receive that needs keeping for that long? Most emails I get need a quick reply and they are then not needed anymore

linw
19-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Good point, Gary! But I don't bother to delete my gmail archive - just laziness, really.