PDA

View Full Version : lost all my bookmarks

GameJunkie
16-06-2011, 01:18 PM
was uninstalling a test version of firefox and upon restarting ive lost all my bookmarks :crying:crying, system restore didnt bring them back before i made changes :crying

no way to get them back?? unless i've backed them up(which i havent :(

16-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Firefox does autobackups of bookmarks. .JSON files
search the whole HD for bookmark*.* & *.JSON

GameJunkie
16-06-2011, 01:42 PM
i restored the bookmarks by going bookmarks->show all bookmarks->restore and chose a date before today, but at least theyre back(well most, lost a few but pheww!

thanks 1101, was in a big panic for a bit

bob_doe_nz
16-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Edit: Too late...

kjaada
16-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Try "Xmarks" addon.Its great.

GameJunkie
16-06-2011, 06:23 PM
thanks.

will look into that

ibruce2000
17-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Perhaps try letting Windows search for the bookmarks. Set the search's advanced options to search in hidden files and folders. First try looking for bookmarks.html. open up any copies you find to see if your bookmarks are in any of them. If not, try a search for bookmarks.bak. When found, rename 'bak' to 'html' and open the file. If this still hasn't found the bookmarks do a search for a folder called bookmarkbackups. Open the folder and see if there is a backup of your bookmarks in there.

Firefox bookmarks (bookmarks.html) are stored by default in: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUerName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default (xxxxxxxx represents a random string of letters and numbers). If you cannot see this location you'd need to unhide the folder in 'Folder Options' in Windows Explorer (Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders).

GameJunkie
17-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Try "Xmarks" addon.Its great.

installed it and im very impressed with it.

great addon for FF

thanks

kjaada
17-06-2011, 12:37 PM
There are all sorts of apps for this sort of thing and I think I tried most before settling on this one.
It is great and I can not count the times it "rescued" me.

GameJunkie
17-06-2011, 12:39 PM
just glad i didnt lose the hundreds of bookmarked pages i had :lol:

kahawai chaser
17-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Glad it worked out. Sometimes converting sites url's to pdf's for archiving can help, which I now do sometimes for info articles, rather than solely relying on bookmarks. Some articles I bookmarked, no longer existed online, and the site redirected to another domain, after original site was purchased. Articles gone. Another site later truncated their articles, and wanted payment for full version, or some may remove/redo them in e-books to sell, etc. Even in the internet archives, i.e wayback machine, could not find them.