PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Telecom ADSL Modem/Router

Chemical Ali
16-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Hi All

We have just switched from TelstraClear where we had cable internet to Telecom where we are on ADSL.

When we were with TelstraClear our broadband (Motorola) modem simply plugged into our high end dual band Netgear router (http://www.netgear.co.nz/nz/Product/Routers-and-Gateways/Wireless-N/WNDR3700)and the connection was shared out wirelessly or via ethernet cables from there to our PCs, laptops and other network connected devices.

Now that we are on Telecom we have been supplied with a Thomson ADSL Modem/Router (https://www.telecom.co.nz/wirelessmodem) and I'm trying to work out the most effective way of setting this up and whether the Netgear Router is needed and can be used - I would like to be able to retain it given it's various capabilities (dual band, QOS, readyshare storage, etc) but not sure if it's possible/advisable.
So here are are my main questions:
1: If I wanted to/should keep the Netgear router on my network how is the best way to do that? Run via an ethernet cable from the Thomson ADSL Modem/Router?
2: Currently I now have 2 networks showing up - the old one through the Netgear Router (which now cannot access the internet) and the one created by the new Telecom router which does have internet access. Is it possible to re-route through the Netgear Router based network for internet access etc?
3: Does this then involve reconfiguring settings on one or both routers?
4: Or is it simpler just to completely take the Netgear Router off the network and run everything through the Thomson (Telecom) Router?

Any comments/suggestions?

Cheers

Me

Chemical Ali
16-06-2011, 09:35 AM
I appreciate that it is but (as I understand it) the Thomson Modem/Router supplied by Telecom can only support 4 wireless devices at a time and generally have more than that operating so if it's possible to integrate the Netgear router into the mix to boost wi-fi capacity and utilise it's advanced features I'd really like to.

MushHead
16-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I think the simplest way to get up & running with the NetGear router remaining the primary router (as it seems a damn sight better than the Thomson) is to:
Connect the WAN port of the NetGear to a Thomson LAN port via cable
Disable the Thomson WiFi
Set up the NetGear WAN to "automatic", so its WAN address will be set automatically from the Thomson's DHCP. Note: your LAN address ranges for the NetGear & the Thomson must be different! So if the NetGear's LAN is 192.168.1.x, make the Thomson's 192.168.2.x (or vice versa - whichever config's easier to change...)

This should leave the network as it was for your PC's, etc. All you're doing is funnelling what used to be your cable modem traffic through the Thomson. Your NetGear router just acts like a client PC would in a more conventional one-box setup.

This setup makes it fiddly to have internet-facing servers running on your LAN, as there's now 2 NAT translations running in series. A more optimal solution would be to investigate PPPoE, which means the Thomson just acts as an ethernet/ADSL bridge & all the setup is done at the NetGear WAN - not sure whether this is possible with the Thomson. That would be conceptually closer to your old cable setup.

Chemical Ali
16-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Option 4 is far the easiest.

That's wierd, I was replying to Clive's message and mine posts before his on the thread with an earlier reported posting time!

CliveM
16-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Option 4 is far the easiest.

linw
16-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Option 4 is the easiest but....

Can the Netgear be set to AP mode? I use an ASUS WL-520GU wireless router set to AP mode and merely plug it into a single user Telecom modem which handles DHCP, DNS etc.

Ethernet cables plug into this router plus it handles wireless. I gave it a fixed address within the domain of the modem.

Can't see why this wouldn't work for you with wireless disabled on the Thomson.

Good luck, anyway.

tmrafi
16-06-2011, 03:41 PM
If you want to continue using your Netgear router as before, you need to ditch the Telecom provided Thomson ADSL Modem/Router, and get a Netcomm/Dynalink NB6 1 port ADSL 2+ Modem Router. Connect you PC to this device and configure it as "Half Bridge", clear instructions are in the manual. Once configured, connect the Modem to the Netgear Router's WAN port.
In this mode the Netcomm device functions purely as a modem (similar to what your motorola device did earlier) and all the Internet fuinctionality is done by the Netgear Router as before.

decibel
16-06-2011, 07:13 PM
If you want to continue using your Netgear router as before, you need to ditch the Telecom provided Thomson ADSL Modem/Router, and get a Netcomm/Dynalink NB6 1 port ADSL 2+ Modem Router.

But that will cost more money - Ali should try Mushhead's idea first and if that doesn't perform, then buy a Netcomm modem.

Chemical Ali
17-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Tried MushHeads suggestion without success and after a lot of time and effort [must've been doing something wrong]. Presuming it would just be simpler (but admittedly costly) just to 'bite the bullet' any purchased a high-end ADSL2 Modem/Router from either Netgear or D-Link?

MushHead
17-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Bwahahahaa! My master plan worked! - anyone got a (*cheap*) gigabit router they want to offload?

But seriously, all I was advocating is basically what the NetGear manual outlines (from p11 in the current manual online). With your ADSL modem, its default setup will be to serve a number of PC's all obtaining their address automatically. All you should need to do is set up the NetGear so that its WAN port appears to the Thomson as a connected PC would - i.e, with the WAN port set to Automatic. This would have been the factory default for the NetGear too, but TelstraClear cable requires that you have had to set the WAN port settings to static & enter the IP addresses allocated to your connection. So if you'd just hooked up ADSL for the first time with everything out of the box, it's likely that you'd be surfing in no time. The only potential fly in the ointment here could be that the Thomson & NetGear use the same LAN address range (192.168.1.x for NetGear), which can stuff up the routing - for example, PC at 192.168.1.2 connects via [NetGear] gateway at 192.168.1.1, which uses [ADSL] gateway at ... 192.168.1.1!

You've got a nice router there - shame not to use it (of course, if you want to get rid of it...;)). Don't give up too soon.