PDA

View Full Version : Trouble cloning windows 7 partition!!

stone2
15-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi all, Here's my prob.
I have a 1TB disk with two partitions, 300GB and 700GB. The 300GB holds the Windows 7 64bit and the 700GB is just for data. What I want to do is clone the 300GB partition to a 320GB HDD so I can remove the 1TB HDD and connect the newly created 320GB HDD and have that boot to windows.
I've tried EASEUS boot cd but will only give me the option of cloning the whole 1TB or creating a copy of the 300GB partition which after trying is not bootable.
Any suggestions please.

wratterus
15-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Ahh, interesting problem. The old Norton Ghost used to let you clone just a partition.

I think you can do it with Acroins, you have to make a backup of a particular partition then restore it, it usually works but it aint free.

There is bound to be some free software out there that does it, someone will hopefully know of some.

Edit - a quick google brought up this. never heard of it, might be worth looking into?

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

stone2
15-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts.
So maybe if I make an image of the 300GB windows partition and then restore that to the new hdd. That would make the new hdd bootable?

wratterus
15-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah try that. Ought to work.

Neil McC
15-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Just done that with a new hard drive for the laptop.Tried cloning it first but kept getting error messages.
So made an image then loaded it onto the new drive.All ok.

15-06-2011, 02:18 PM
older cloning proggies have issues with Win7

Active@ has a limited day trial. WD & seagate have free versions of Acronos, not sure if they do just partitions.

stone2
15-06-2011, 04:00 PM
older cloning proggies have issues with Win7

Active@ has a limited day trial. WD & seagate have free versions of Acronos, not sure if they do just partitions.

Hi, could you tell me what software you used?

:pf1mobmini:

stone2
15-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Just done that with a new hard drive for the laptop.Tried cloning it first but kept getting error messages.
So made an image then loaded it onto the new drive.All ok.

gary67
15-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Active@disk image, it's not free but works excellently with Win7

Vallis
15-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Paragon have a free for home use version of their imaging program. It's almost as good as Acronis True Image.
Read about it here (http://www.mistywindow.com/data-security/computer-imaging/).
Get it here (http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-Backup-Recovery-Advanced-Free/3000-2242_4-10972187.html?tag=mncol).

Even allows you to create a boot DVD to run the program without booting into Windows. Just like Acronis True Image & Ghost.

:)

wainuitech
15-06-2011, 06:37 PM
You are better off going with the Active@ disk image. While its not free, there is a trial version, From here (http://www.disk-image.net/download.htm) 146MB from memory 15 or 30 day days trial (cant recall now) - get the installer and bootable CD, it allows you to do any work from the CD. It has options to select only certain partitions.

Paragons free one -- Forget it, seen so many failures with that its not funny. Better to go with something that does work.

If you wanted to create an image first (as a backup) then Active does allow you to select partitions, so if you imaged the two windows 7 partitions to an external drive, network storage it will then thats what it will image.

Another one that works sometimes is ToDo (http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/)- the free home version does allow you to clone just partitions, BUT keep in mind, windows 7 makes a hidden partition which is usually the cause of many failures. LOTS of cloning software cant handle that partition.

Failures: With W7 & various programs

Paragons Free one -- Around 70% failure
Acronis, about 50%
Active@ - never, and I use it daily to make backups of customers Drives before working on them as most people still don't do backups, and I dont want be held responsible for losing their data.

gary67
15-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Paragon was a big fail from me, it screwed my system completely leading to a re install as I was trying to image it at the time so didn't have an image to restore. Now use Active and its great. I only image my C drive as my D drive is only data and I back that up by folder using syncback as the data is then available to me form any computer on my network

stone2
15-06-2011, 11:42 PM
You are better off going with the Active@ disk image. While its not free, there is a trial version, From here (http://www.disk-image.net/download.htm) 146MB from memory 15 or 30 day days trial (cant recall now) - get the installer and bootable CD, it allows you to do any work from the CD. It has options to select only certain partitions.

Paragons free one -- Forget it, seen so many failures with that its not funny. Better to go with something that does work.

If you wanted to create an image first (as a backup) then Active does allow you to select partitions, so if you imaged the two windows 7 partitions to an external drive, network storage it will then thats what it will image.

Another one that works sometimes is ToDo (http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/)- the free home version does allow you to clone just partitions, BUT keep in mind, windows 7 makes a hidden partition which is usually the cause of many failures. LOTS of cloning software cant handle that partition.

Failures: With W7 & various programs

Paragons Free one -- Around 70% failure
Acronis, about 50%
Active@ - never, and I use it daily to make backups of customers Drives before working on them as most people still don't do backups, and I dont want be held responsible for losing their data.

So I am trying it right now. I am making a disk image within windows and then Im going to restore that image to the new drive. Then can I shut down unplug old HDD and plug in new HDD and windows will boot from the new drive?
Q. Will the new drive be labeled C: ?

gary67
16-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes the boot drive is always C

SolMiester
16-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes the boot drive is always C

No, not always mate....if you have 2 partitions, 1 boot, 1 data, then delete the boot, then go to install new o/s on the boot partition, then old xp will put boot loader on the data partition and name it c: leaving new o/s boot as d:

gary67
16-06-2011, 09:29 AM
No, not always mate....if you have 2 partitions, 1 boot, 1 data, then delete the boot, then go to install new o/s on the boot partition, then old xp will put boot loader on the data partition and name it c: leaving new o/s boot as d:

Oops I thought the C would always get given to the new boot as well, I stand corrected

stone2
16-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Ok, I've nearly had enough. I downloaded Active@ Disk Image trial and made my image and made a boot disk but when prompted to put in serial key it say's it's invalid..WTF

Help!!!

stone2
16-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Never mind, did it within windows and ...Success!!
Thanks to all who helped.

mzee
16-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I had to change the hard drive on a desk Top Asus today.
The Acronis system Image was from a 30GB partition, and the Active primary on the new drive was 80GB. After I restored the Image the 80GB partition was reduced to 30GB, same as the Image. Booted into Puppy Linux, Part-edit and expanded the partition to 80GB again. No problems except that it got me to run Skandisk first.

On the subject of Paragon; I have a bought version of it. I gave up using it as Windows often lost its activation after a restore. Don't have that problem with Aconis.

Fishb8
21-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I've sucessfully used Casper - creates a bootable image. I have a 2nd hard drive that I create my image to and unplug it between my monthly re-imaging.
Casper is not free but I've been able to install it on 3 other computers to create images for them, too.

CliveM
21-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I've sucessfully used Casper - creates a bootable image. I have a 2nd hard drive that I create my image to and unplug it between my monthly re-imaging.
Casper is not free but I've been able to install it on 3 other computers to create images for them, too.

+1 Casper works for me quick and easy to use. Only problem as pointed out previously by WainuiTech it will only clone to another drive attached to your machine which makes it difficult to use it for off site backups etc.