PDA

View Full Version : Two routers - one house

Jstewart
15-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Hey all -

I've got a question and hopefully not a long answer ahead ...

We have a fixed line internet connection with Vodafone and are using their Hawiaii or what ever brand it is router that they supply with their connection. We have wireless enabled on the router and every person in the flat connects through wifi (there are 6 of us, 5 windows, 1 mac and 1 iphone). All computers are getting the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns information from the router automatically and no static IP address have been set.

I also have a 1TB Western Digital NAS drive which can very easily plugs into the ethernet port of the router and can be shared with the rest of the network in the house.

Here is the problem - if I plug the NAS drive into the router and people start watching movies off the drive, the speed of everyone's connection drops to a ridiculous amount and people start thinking we have been speed limited on our internet connection when it is the wireless connection that is getting hogged, not the ADSL connection.

So .... I now have a Netgear DG834G which is a ADSL 4 port router (nearly exactly the same as the Vodafone one, just different make / model but same features). This router isn't ever going to have an internet connection coming through it. What I have done is:

Left the Vodafone router as it is (it's IP address rang is 192.168.1.x, with 1.1 being the default of the gateway) and people connect wirelessly to it for an internet connection.

Setup the Netgear router (with IP address range 192.168.0.x, with 0.1 being the default for this gateway) - given it a DIFFERENT SSID and password from the Vodafone router.

Plugged the NAS drive into the Netgear router.

The Vodafone and Netgear router are not connected in any shape or form and I had it work OK for a little while with all the computers in the house. You would simply select one router to connect to wirelessly for internet connection and another router to connect to wirelessly for movies and music. But one of the flat mates started complaining that this wireless keeps dropping off and then reconnecting and one of the iphones is playing up a little as well.

What is the best way to do this .. I want two separate networks to separate out the traffic so that the heavy movie wifi / connection doesn't slow down the internet wifi ... What have I done wrong and what can I do to make this work correctly??

Cheers

James

razzarphenix
15-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I would use the Netgear as a wireless access point only. Not sure on the huawei your using but I'm going to guess it has 4 ports as well so connect both routers by ethernet connection.

On the netgear, disable its DHCP services, put it on a static ip with the huaweui as its default gateway, on the same range as the huawei, for example:
Huawei = 192.168.1.254
Netgear = 192.168.1.253 (with its default gateway being 192.168.1.254)
in the huawei make sure the dhcp lease range excludes 253 (so make it 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.239 or something thats plenty enough ip's for everyone).

Now wireless settings:
Make sure the netgear and the huawei dont interfere with each other so you can choose one of the non overlapping wireless channels 1, 6, 11 just make the huawei and netgear use a different one (so huawei might be channel 1, netgear channel 11)

After that you should be able to connect to each routers SSID, and hopefully get an IP address assigned from the huawei even across the wireless signal on the netgear.