PDA

View Full Version : Weird One. . who designed 'Wingdings' ??

08-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Daughter has been doing a school project on fonts, etc. and has become fascinated with several, especially 'Wingdings.' Despite searching all over the place I don't seem to be able to locate the originator. Can someone help out with this . . . . you'll make me look incredably computer literate too !!!

08-10-2001, 08:50 PM
All opening it in the fonts folder gives is copyright Microsoft 1992-1995.

08-10-2001, 09:12 PM
Designed by Charles Bigelow, Kris Holmes

Charles Bigelow: Contemporary American type historian, professor and designer, recipient of a MacArthur Grant in 1982. Professor of Digital Typography at Stanford for several years. With partner Kris Holmes he runs the Bigelow & Holmes studio. Their most significant work is probably the Lucida font family, perhaps the first serious attempt to make type look good on low-resolution output. Lucida?s accompanying pi font, Wingdings, has long been included with Windows.
Underlings of Bigelow include Carol Twombly, David Siegel, and Tom Rickner.

Kris Holmes: Contemporary American type designer and President of Bigelow & Holmes alongside Charles Bigelow. The pair co-designed the Lucida font family targeted at low-resolution, and the pi font Wingdings.
Kris Holmes herself has had a hand in the design of over 90 typefaces, including the ?city? fonts (Chicago, New York, Geneva, Monaco) for Apple.

Those names sound fake but perhaps they are for real!

08-10-2001, 09:18 PM
Designed By Bigelow & Holmes Inc. For Microsoft Corporation - there 'ya go! found that on my hunt :-)

09-10-2001, 12:42 AM
Who thought up the name and Why that name? Can anybody read it in its natural state in a paragraph?

09-10-2001, 09:41 AM
I know the name is a take-off from the Macintosh font 'dingbats', Apple thought of it first. Like everything else about Windows.

Don't worry, I am a reformed Mac user.

Regards, Rob C.