PDA

View Full Version : Micro SD card won't format

Nybackus
14-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm trying to move photos from my camera to my computer. I bought a micro sd card, successfully moved the photos from the camera to the card, but when I put the card in my computer (with an adapter) it said it had to be formatted which I assumed would erase what was on it (the photos). So, I transferred the photos back onto the camera and tried to format the card, but the computer says the card in the E: drive cannot be formatted. How can I get the computer to accept the card with the photos on it or format the card?

Snorkbox
14-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Welcome to pressF1.

Usually you format the card using the camera to start with.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Is it an SDHC card? If it is, does the adapter support SDHC? What version of windows is it?

Nybackus
14-06-2011, 04:15 PM
It is a SanDisk Micro SDHC 4 gb card. The adapter came with it. I'm running Windows XP.

Nybackus
14-06-2011, 04:16 PM
The phone seemed to have no trouble with it, transferred the photos immediately, but the computer insists it has to be formatted. I did try putting it in my camera and formatting it there but nothing happened.

Nybackus
14-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I realize I wrote camera when I meant phone. It's pictures on a LG phone that I am unable to move to my computer although the phone transfers the photos to the micro card without any problem.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Is XP up to date?? Is this on it?? It makes XP support SDHC

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

Nybackus
15-06-2011, 02:23 AM
I downloaded the hot fixes you directed me to, but was told I already had a newer version and the fixes weren't needed, so any other suggestions? I appreciate your help, by the way.

Nybackus
15-06-2011, 02:33 AM
If it helps, here's what happens when I try to open the SDHC card. In "My Computer" it shows up as Removable Disk (E:). When I double-click on it I get "The disk in drive E is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?" When I click "yes" I get "There is no disk in drive E. Insert a disk, and then try again." When I click "OK" I get "The disk in Drive E cannot be formatted." When I right click it, and go to "Properties" I get "Removable Disk" File System "RAW". If I go to "Hardware" it says "Manufacturer: Texas Instruments. Location: FlashMedia 2. Device Status: The device is working properly."

Agent_24
15-06-2011, 03:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was that the card reader didn't support SDHC cards.

Do you know the brand\model of your card reader?

bot
15-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Mmm, I have a very tetchy card reader that sometimes locks up if you insert certain cards into it.

Nybackus
16-06-2011, 03:37 AM
Well, you nailed it. I went to a brand new Toshiba, slipped the SD card into the slot and it showed up with no problem with all the files from my phone on it. So, my old Dell 710m just can't handle the card. Thanks so much for steering me in that direction. It never would have occurred to me otherwise. Problem solved.

Agent_24
16-06-2011, 12:10 PM
You could check to see if there was a driver or BIOS update to handle newer cards but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Edit: You should be hopeful! http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R139212&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_710M&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=7271&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=27&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=186169

"Adds support for high capacity SD cards (< 1GB)."

dugimodo
17-06-2011, 11:05 AM
could you get a data cable for your phone and transfer the files directly ?
Annoys me that phones at the cheaper end of the scale often have cameras but no way to get photo's off them, greatly reduces the usefulness of the camera function in my opinion.

Nybackus
18-06-2011, 05:54 AM
I did get a data cable (or so I thought). I got a USB cable that would fit the input on the phone, but when I plugged it into the computer, all I got was that the phone was "charging". It did not appear in "My Computer" and so there seemed no way to move files. Only the micro SD card finally enabled me to transfer the files to the card and then to my computer (once, that is, I was using a computer new enough to handle SDHD cards). I did download the update that was supposed to allow my older Dell to read such cards but found it made no difference.