PDA

View Full Version : Thomson Tg585V7 lockdown

linw
14-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Bugger, seems like this one can't be hooked up to any ISP other than Telecom. I have followed all threads re this topic, including one where he said his mate sorted it but he didn't know how (helpful).

No matter how I try to add the userid/password, by GUI or user.ini, it won't authenticate.

Has anyone REALLY done the bizzo and know how they did it?

Chilling_Silence
14-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah I've had the TG585v7's (Never tried the v8 but presume they're probably similar) on other ISPs. Telecom, Orcon, Vodafone...

What ISP are you trying to connect it to?

Snorkbox
14-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Fairly sure you have to change the User name and password while not connected to the internet.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Hmm funny you should say that. The RTA1320v6 I got, when I joined Telstra works fine.

But, the Dlink (that was fine with Xnet, and it supports ADSL2/+ as well, kept cutting me off every few minutes. And there were no more firmware updates for it (in case it fixed the issue). So, in the end, I connected the Dynalink.

Only diff between the 2 is, the RTA1320v6 supports IPv6, the Dlink didnt.

And the Dlink had 4 ports / wireless. The RTA1320v6 only has 1 port.

I had to connect a 5 port switch so both of these / the Xbox / the bluray had net access

14-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Some of the Telecom routers had firmware designed for them.
Some had a 2nd (hidden) admin login you need to access for full admin access
Telecom WILL NOT disclose details of how to access this : as told to me unofficially by one of their helpdesk (NZ) guys.

Its probly to stop all there unused routers turning up on trademe as used to happen with the Dlinks.

Buy a new one.

linw
14-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Trying to connect to vodafone, Chill (ex ihug sign-on). e.g. userid@vodafone.co.nz

Too late, 1101, there are heaps on TM and most sellers say they can be used with other ISP's!

Yeah, Snork, I can get the id in but it never authenticates and b4 you know it, the old familiar user@xtrabb.co.nz re-appears!

mikebartnz
14-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Most routers have a reset button. Have you tried that.

linw
14-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes, and guess what it does?

Nah, I have given up - I have accepted that these things are nixed.

For fun I deleted virtually all the saved user.ini file and reloaded it. Surprise - it was totally re-constituted! Didn't even hiccup.

Thanks for comments folks. Still happy to hear from someone who has actually done it, though!

bk T
14-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I've connected TG585v8 to Telstra two weeks ago without any hassle but have to admit that their user interface is just terrible.

bot
14-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I've connected TG585v8 to Telstra two weeks ago without any hassle but have to admit that their user interface is just terrible.

I'll 2nd that!

Some of the Telecom routers had firmware designed for them.
Some had a 2nd (hidden) admin login you need to access for full admin access
Telecom WILL NOT disclose details of how to access this : as told to me unofficially by one of their helpdesk (NZ) guys.

Its probly to stop all there unused routers turning up on trademe as used to happen with the Dlinks.

Buy a new one.

Again, I'll second that. IIRC some smart person managed to hack their O2 modem (this was in the UK) which was a Thomson with a "SuperUser" password. On the v7 there seems to be a "SRMPASSWORD" if you open it up.

Trying to connect to vodafone, Chill (ex ihug sign-on). e.g. userid@vodafone.co.nz

Yeah, I had a TG585v7 and v8 that connects fine to Vodafone, with the username username@adsl.ihug.co.nz.

linw
15-06-2011, 01:06 AM
So frustrating to hear you guys have done it. I have tried the user@adsl.ihug.co.nz to no avail. Did you have to modify the user.ini file?

Did you guys get it going at a non xtra/Telecom site? I am trying it at home and I am with Telecom.

At the moment I have got the modem locked up and can't even access the config screen. I modified the user.ini in two places to change the user@xtrabb.co.nz to the ihug user. It has a red 'Internet' LED indicating no authentication but it seems to be cycling as it comes and goes.

Snorkbox
15-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Well it's not going to authenticate the ihug user on your telecom phone line.

bot
15-06-2011, 01:46 AM
So frustrating to hear you guys have done it. I have tried the user@adsl.ihug.co.nz to no avail. Did you have to modify the user.ini file?

Did you guys get it going at a non xtra/Telecom site? I am trying it at home and I am with Telecom.

At the moment I have got the modem locked up and can't even access the config screen. I modified the user.ini in two places to change the user@xtrabb.co.nz to the ihug user. It has a red 'Internet' LED indicating no authentication but it seems to be cycling as it comes and goes.

A red internet light means it detects a line signal but can't find your ISP.

Here's what we have

mikebartnz
15-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Well it's not going to authenticate the ihug user on your telecom phone line.
You will find most people have a Telecom phone line and have no trouble connecting to other broadband suppliers as long as the switch has been taken care of.

mikebartnz
15-06-2011, 02:06 AM
You will need to change the default gateway.

Snorkbox
15-06-2011, 02:13 AM
You will find most people have a Telecom phone line and have no trouble connecting to other broadband suppliers as long as the switch has been taken care of.

True. But linw does not say if he has switched to ihug or is with Xtra. I was under the possibly mistaken impression he was doing it for a third party as he's tried user@voda and user@ihug

And to change the username and password you have to disconnect anyway and I don't know if linw has tried that as I had earlier mentioned.

Agent_24
15-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Have you tried backing up the configuration to a text file, manually editing the username and then restoring it back into the router?

Telecom told me I had to do that to change my DHCP settings on my ST536v6 because the web interface is buggy and won't accept any IP address, claiming they are all invalid.

bk T
15-06-2011, 11:35 AM

I had the same problem when trying to set it up from my home (with Telecom broadband) - it just doesn't accept other ISP's username. It accepts Telstra's username quite happily when actually connected to Telstra's username in my mate's home.

nedkelly
15-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Haha would you beleive that I set one of these up to go thru xnet yesterday?
The strange devices have two configuration pages, one at 192.168.1.254 (i think) then something like dsl.landevice/
I used the ip address on to enter in the adsl username details.
Worked perfect.
(After I figured out the user had given me the wrong password :D )

linw
15-06-2011, 11:47 AM
To clarify. I am with Telecom but I am trying to test a modem belonging to a third party at my house. I tried getting it going at the owner's site but it wouldn't authenticate which is why I brought it home to test.

I have now tried connecting to Voda using a DSL604T and it won't authenticate either. I am wondering whether Telecom customers are able to test with other ISP credentials, now, but I certainly have done it previously but things may have changed? Anyone know for sure?

And, yes, I know to disconnect to change user and I have tried modifying the user.ini file but nothing works.

nedkelly
15-06-2011, 11:51 AM
oh I dont think that will work with telecom from memory.

Snorkbox
15-06-2011, 12:18 PM
So linw maybe rather than saying you are with Telecom perhaps you could say your ISP is Xtra and you're trying to authenticate to iHug. Have I got it right?

If so I don't think it's going to work unless you take it back to the owners house and do it there. And they have an account with iHug.

linw
15-06-2011, 12:27 PM
This is coming from the owner's site via the TG585!!!!!! Went first try so don't know what was wrong the other day.

So, these modems can definitely be connected via another ISP but DON'T try it from a telecom serviced site!

Apologies for wasting your time, guys, but I appreciate your help very much. Basically I needed to know whether it was possible and you helped there.

kahawai chaser
15-06-2011, 12:43 PM
British forums discuss a lot about Thomson's configuration settings, and members have had success from changing from default ISP (e.g. plusnet, O2). But requires hex editors, CFE file editing, etc, but bit precarious. This (http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2877) might be worth a read. Their resident guru seems to have helped many.

nedkelly
15-06-2011, 01:01 PM
@kahawai I did not need to do that to the one I looked at. Just entered in the new username and password and hey presto it worked (when I had the right password)

Agent_24
15-06-2011, 01:01 PM
So, these modems can definitely be connected via another ISP but DON'T try it from a telecom serviced site!

Doesn't surprise me, Telecom authenticates by line number now so no matter what settings or router you have it will only work on the Telecom account for that line.

linw
15-06-2011, 02:46 PM
That's right, Agent. In retrospect, makes sense, but I could remember it being OK previously but that must have been before they used the port to authenticate. If it ain't xtra, it ain't anything!

Bit of a nuisance, though, as you can't set up a non Telecom account/modem to send someone as a plug 'n go. Never mind.

mikebartnz
15-06-2011, 03:06 PM
So linw maybe rather than saying you are with Telecom perhaps you could say your ISP is Xtra and you're trying to authenticate to iHug. Have I got it right?

If so I don't think it's going to work unless you take it back to the owners house and do it there. And they have an account with iHug.
Quite agree by asking the right question you are far more likely to get the right answer.